Old 09-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Future OA 42' owner

Hi folks,

I'm transitioning from the sailing world to the trawler lifestyle, and have a wonderful 1988 42 OA under contract and soon into survey. I've been looking for a boat about this size for a long while, and am glad I found one that is in such good condition.

Would love to connect with other 42 owners, and hear any suggestions during survey or afterwards for this particular vintage.

This particular 42 has the tri-cabin/CPMY/sundeck configuration, which is exactly what we've been looking for.

Thanks!
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:36 PM   #2
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Steve, just read your article on the mikrotik, even ordered one up. I have an OA 54, a bit familiar with the OA 42 sedan and aft cabin model.

You are not likely to find any hull issues in survey. You will probably find the usual things like a frozen sea clock, a non operational accessory, a leaky window or tired cutlass bearing. OA are not known for blistering but on a 30 year old boat you might find one or two. Paint blisters are often written up as blisters by surveyors just to CYA.

Since the boat is well cared for, wouldn’t surprise me if only things like missing waste manage plan and out of date flares is found.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
We have a '90 44 sundeck/cockpit. It was originally in Portland, then Seattle, then Austin Texas, and finally the Great Lakes in 2005. It did have some minor blisters, which I fixed and then epoxy barrier coated. Not a one in the past 13 years (and I check it every Fall during Winter haul out). Zero issues with "soft" decks from water intrusion.

Look for evidence of water leaks on veneer directly ahead when you step through the sundeck sliding door, and around the release mechanism on the sliding side door (if it has one,,,optional), Condensation from windshield frames might result in varnish lifting on the shelf area underneath (easy repair). We've seen no leak issues around side windows. The seals around the windscreen glass panels deteriorate at about this age. All associated rubber seals/trim are available from OA Seattle. I just replaced the ones on our boat

Door rollers/tracks might need replacement. I also just replaced these items. Cutless bearings were done a few years ago. Original sewage hoses would be "done". I replaced them with solid PVC and flex hose for the bends. Also added a second big holding tank in the transom. Converted to fresh water flush. Just fixed a leak from anchor locker drain. Painted non-skid areas on forward deck, which were losing gelcoat (it erodes and a light blue shows through). No issues with gelcoat otherwise (a good buffing brought it back to like new 12 years ago and it's still that way (waxed religiously).

Excellent electrical/wiring...zero issues there.

Great boat and layout. We like that you can look out the low side windows while sitting in the salon. Try that in a Hatt or a Californian, etc. Great cruiser...frugal fuel burn. We live aboard for five months on Great Lakes. If you PM me I'll send you my phone number and I can give you more specifics if you want to call. We looked for two years for a 42/44/46 sundeck/cockpit. The perfect boat in that size range (if you don't mind stairs). I just had a new knee installed and it's great exercise.

Regards
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #5
Guru

A photo of our 44 taken in August at our slip. You're gonna love that 42!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4248 (1).jpg
Views:	160
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	81236
Old 10-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Steve, just read your article on the mikrotik, even ordered one up. I have an OA 54, a bit familiar with the OA 42 sedan and aft cabin model.

You are not likely to find any hull issues in survey. You will probably find the usual things like a frozen sea clock, a non operational accessory, a leaky window or tired cutlass bearing. OA are not known for blistering but on a 30 year old boat you might find one or two. Paint blisters are often written up as blisters by surveyors just to CYA.

Since the boat is well cared for, wouldn’t surprise me if only things like missing waste manage plan and out of date flares is found.
The MikroTik is a great device to have on a boat. Let me know if you have any questions - they are not the easiest thing to work with!

Thats great info on the boat. I suspected that after doing my own research. It seems like a very well built boat and it has been very well taken care of. I'm hoping for no issues in survey!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #7
Guru

Hi Rufus,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
We have a '90 44 sundeck/cockpit. It was originally in Portland, then Seattle, then Austin Texas, and finally the Great Lakes in 2005. It did have some minor blisters, which I fixed and then epoxy barrier coated. Not a one in the past 13 years (and I check it every Fall during Winter haul out). Zero issues with "soft" decks from water intrusion.
Thanks for this - the previous owner has stated there aren't any, so I will be on the look out during survey.

Quote:
Look for evidence of water leaks on veneer directly ahead when you step through the sundeck sliding door, and around the release mechanism on the sliding side door (if it has one,,,optional), Condensation from windshield frames might result in varnish lifting on the shelf area underneath (easy repair). We've seen no leak issues around side windows. The seals around the windscreen glass panels deteriorate at about this age. All associated rubber seals/trim are available from OA Seattle. I just replaced the ones on our boat
I did not see any water damage on the veneer near the sundeck door. I don't have a sliding side door. No varnish issues on the shelves, but the windows themselves were removed and rebedded sometime in the last 10 years due to the usual OA leaky window problem. The varnish around the windows was affected due to the leaking. There is a guy out here in the local area that has done a lot of the OA windows apparently.

Quote:
Door rollers/tracks might need replacement. I also just replaced these items. Cutless bearings were done a few years ago. Original sewage hoses would be "done". I replaced them with solid PVC and flex hose for the bends. Also added a second big holding tank in the transom. Converted to fresh water flush. Just fixed a leak from anchor locker drain. Painted non-skid areas on forward deck, which were losing gelcoat (it erodes and a light blue shows through). No issues with gelcoat otherwise (a good buffing brought it back to like new 12 years ago and it's still that way (waxed religiously).
I think the cutlass bearings were done on this boat in 2015, but I will be checking records/survey. I don't know about the sewage hoses, but I've done that on two previous boats, and while it is not something I "want" to do, I prefer Raritan Sani-Flex and will add that to my list if it is not done anyhow.

A second holding tank is an interesting idea. I suspect my transom is smaller than yours, as that is where the water tank and steering gear is. I might be able to stick something to one side, but I'll see how I do for the first 6 months or so!

I don't know if this is a fresh or salt water flush, will have to look. I thought it was fresh water. The boat also has a water maker on it, so no issues with keeping up on the fresh side.

I talked with one other local OA owner and they did the same thing with the non-skid areas in terms of paint. This boat looks pristine there, nothing showing, very shiny and in good condition, but painting is not that big of a deal to do if needed - good to know.

Quote:
Excellent electrical/wiring...zero issues there.
Yup, this is one of the reasons I fell in love with the boat. There have been some good upgrades, but I plan on adding a full Victron Energy control system, and of course it will be a test bed for the various instruments that I have from manufacturers. I'm really looking forward to making the flybridge my test bed area for all of that stuff, and the wiring, chases, and general layout will make that much easier to work with.

Quote:
Great boat and layout. We like that you can look out the low side windows while sitting in the salon. Try that in a Hatt or a Californian, etc. Great cruiser...frugal fuel burn. We live aboard for five months on Great Lakes. If you PM me I'll send you my phone number and I can give you more specifics if you want to call. We looked for two years for a 42/44/46 sundeck/cockpit. The perfect boat in that size range (if you don't mind stairs). I just had a new knee installed and it's great exercise.
Regards
That was one of the selling points to me too. We looked at Hatteras', Tollycraft, Californian, and others, and the windows in the OA were much better. The salon itself just feels a bit more homey and open.

Thanks for all of the details!
Old 10-01-2018, 12:19 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Welcome aboard.
Thanks! Excited to be here!
Old 10-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #9
Guru

Steve,

The "shelf" area I mentioned is just the flat woodwork at the base of the windscreens (ahead of the white padded vinyl over the cabinets and refrigerator. Condensation forms on the windshield glass and on the aluminum frames and runs/drips down onto that ledge. The varnish will then lift. Not a problem with AC or dehumidification of some sort. Our boat had the bad varnish when we bought it, but no issues since the AC installation. This same thing can happen on the side glass. The windows aren't actually leaking. I believe some folks make that mistake. (Contact me before you hire the Seattle guy if you need glass work done).

Damage to the veneer (in the corners of the entry stairs enclosure, for example) shows up as grey spots. If you ever see it on your boat, the cause is leaks in the sealing putty around the arch bracket and the seam below/inboard of that....think its 4200). My spouse fixed it with some faux painting and you'd never know it was there...just in case.

When I did the sewer hoses, I started from scratch and rerouted so that there's a vented loop immediately after the head and then discharge lines run down hill run all the way to their respective tank. No sewage standing in hoses. All lines are hidden behind cabinetry. I'll send you an E-mail with some additional thoughts. Here are some photos...

Name:	IMG_4239.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	81479

Name:	IMG_4244.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	81480

Name:	IMG_4624.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	81481

Name:	IMG_4629.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	81482

Attachment 81483
Old 10-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
In 2005 I was boat shopping. An OA 44 I was looking at had a complete new vinylester (or other) bottom job due to blisters, about 3 years after delivery. The OA group out of Seattle managed the effort under partial warranty I was told. The bottom looked fine.

Steve, what engines?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Steve,

The "shelf" area I mentioned is just the flat woodwork at the base of the windscreens (ahead of the white padded vinyl over the cabinets and refrigerator. Condensation forms on the windshield glass and on the aluminum frames and runs/drips down onto that ledge. The varnish will then lift. Not a problem with AC or dehumidification of some sort. Our boat had the bad varnish when we bought it, but no issues since the AC installation. This same thing can happen on the side glass. The windows aren't actually leaking. I believe some folks make that mistake. (Contact me before you hire the Seattle guy if you need glass work done).

Damage to the veneer (in the corners of the entry stairs enclosure, for example) shows up as grey spots. If you ever see it on your boat, the cause is leaks in the sealing putty around the arch bracket and the seam below/inboard of that....think its 4200). My spouse fixed it with some faux painting and you'd never know it was there...just in case.

When I did the sewer hoses, I started from scratch and rerouted so that there's a vented loop immediately after the head and then discharge lines run down hill run all the way to their respective tank. No sewage standing in hoses. All lines are hidden behind cabinetry. I'll send you an E-mail with some additional thoughts. Here are some photos...
Thanks for the clarification on the shelf. This boat does not have AC but I intend on adding it. I always have dehumidification in various forms on boats depending on the time of year, etc.

Great photos! The boats look very, very similar. Yours is a beauty!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
In 2005 I was boat shopping. An OA 44 I was looking at had a complete new vinylester (or other) bottom job due to blisters, about 3 years after delivery. The OA group out of Seattle managed the effort under partial warranty I was told. The bottom looked fine.

Steve, what engines?
Good info on the bottom side. I don't expect any issues there given that the current owner has taken very good care of her, but you never know.

This boat has dual Volvo Penta TAMD 61A engines in excellent condition from what I've been able to tell so far. I've had two other boats with VP, and I know there are people who hate them and people who love them, more than things like the CATS and DD. I'm fine with them if they survey out well. I have a dedicated mechanic doing a full half day with them, oil samples and the like.

Apparently a lot of this vintage OA's in the area had VPs in them.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #13
Guru

Just a quick update - the survey went extremely well, with only a few things coming back that were pretty obvious. Otherwise, the boat it is in excellent condition, and I am moving forward with the purchase, hopefully to close here in the next couple of weeks! Beyond excited!!!!

Will post some pics once the deal is officially done - I don't want to jinx it.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 PM   #14
Guru

Well I am officially an owner now, no longer a future one! Purchased the 1988 420 Sundeck and absolutely love it! On a two day journey to bring her home.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #15
Guru

Congratulations! Great boat. Photos?
Old 11-12-2018, 12:49 AM   #16
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Congrats, i’ll Be watching for updates on sailbits.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 AM   #17
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Congrats

Share pictures of your new lady. Being I am considering an OA I'll be following.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
Guru

I've tried to post several times with pictures and details but can't. I have a lot of info on my site, which you can find by clicking on my profile link and then Contact Info.

Absolutely loving the boat. Finding new things every day that reinforce how well built the OA's are.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I think you have to have 10 posts before you can post photos.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:35 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I think you have to have 10 posts before you can post photos.
Yup there's that rule, but also my profile was redacted because they said the link to my site was considered commercial and advertising, which I respectfully disagreed with, but never heard back from any moderator.

I tend not to participate in communities where their rules aren't clear and the moderators are unreachable or heavy handed.