Depth Sounder Transducers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
capt jerry wrote:
a paddle wheel only give you the speed over the water, not over the ground.
******** True enough, but if you know your speed through the water, (ie) STW = 7 knots

******** and SOG =9 knots, you might hear yourself exclaim: "WOW! We're getting a 2

******* knot push!"** Of course the opposite is true too! "S--t, we have a 2 knot current on

******* the bow." (certainly not necessary for the operation of the boat but "nice to have!)

******* I'd opt for at least one thru hull. (With STW & temp capability.) Especially on a boat

****** that is commissioned in 2011/2012.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Saturday 21st of May 2011 01:47:48 PM

Thank you Seahorse, what is the relevance of when the boat is commissioned?

Your set up is what my original plans were to do, but if I can get accurate temp another way, it may be worth it not to have the through hull.

All good thoughts. The relevance of some a function of what type of boating one does. I have to admit the current issue did not cross my mind. But we have not done that much ocean cruising, but that is what this boat is being bought to do. If the previous comments are correct that I can get reasonably accurate temp readings through the hull, that still seems to be the best route. While appreciating the suggestion of a speed wheel, I've had enough experience with those fouling to not want one. The speed over ground the GPS gives me is adequate.

Thank you all, again I've learned something useful from your collective experience!

-- Edited by Just Bob on Saturday 21st of May 2011 01:44:08 PM

-- Edited by Just Bob on Saturday 21st of May 2011 01:49:00 PM

-- Edited by Just Bob on Saturday 21st of May 2011 01:49:33 PM

Back
Top Bottom