Alexander versus Tollycraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boydster

Vessel Name
Change of Heart
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42
We currently have a 1973 Grand Banks 42 and have been internet shopping for our next boat. I think I've got it narrowed down to two favourites, Ocean Alexander and Tollycraft. Both 44' and both in the 1988 to 1990 range. I'm looking for opinions on both as to build quality, comfort, systems design, sea kindliness*and the likes and dislikes for both. Thanks if you can assist! - Boyd www.grandbanks42.com

Boydster wrote:
We currently have a 1973 Grand Banks 42 and have been internet shopping for our next boat. I think I've got it narrowed down to two favourites, Ocean Alexander and Tollycraft. Both 44' and both in the 1988 to 1990 range. I'm looking for opinions on both as to build quality, comfort, systems design, sea kindliness*and the likes and dislikes for both. Thanks if you can assist! - Boyd www.grandbanks42.com
Hi William
Forgive me for being so very late in seeing your thread, and commenting... In my opinion, from articles and from speaking with boat yard workers:
-********* In 70s and 80s Tollycraft hull construction experienced superior hand lay-up, better resin quality and more thickness as compared to Ocean Alexander.* In 90s and beyond I know not the comparison.
-********* Otherwise... for comfort-layout, looks, superstructure build quality, engine compartment layout, and equipment in general... it is pretty much the choice of the buyer
-********* That said, I feel Tollycraft is an extremely well built craft overall... but I may be a bit favorable for Tolly, being a VERY satisfied owner of a 1977 Tollycraft Tri Cabin twin screw!

Good luck, if you are still looking! - Art

I've had a 1982 43 OA for 16 years. Cruised from San Diego to Alaska and then down to the Sea of Cortez. Very good off shore hullb with exceptional bow rise design for heavy seas. Boat will take more than I can

Back
Top Bottom