1996 54' Ocean Alexander 546 Cockpit Motor Yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boating2go

Vessel Name
Demani
Vessel Make
Columbia C-45
There is one of these straight across the dock from me, a beautiful boat. I was wondering how sea worthy are they, what kind of range do they have, and the quality of the build.

She looks like a solidly built boat and what I have seen of the inside is very nice. I currently own and live on a sailboat but am in my 60s and thinking of moving to a trawler. I would appreciate any information anyone is willing to share.

Thanks.

If it's the boat I think you're looking at it's a nice looking boat. I'd have one major personal problem with it though and that is the lack of a lower helm. Now to many that's not an issue.

I don't think it would qualify as a trawler but I don't consider that necessarily a negative. Again, guessing at which boat you're looking at, but if it has twin 735's, it should cruise at pretty decent speed. As to Range I'd guess 400 nm or so at cruise and double that or so at economy speed or near hull speed. Again speculating on the boat you're looking at. A link might help.

Good coastal boat. I'd be comfortable going across the the Bahamas in it as one can choose a nice window but it also has the speed to move quickly if one needs to due to weather changing or window closing.

Any boat is about your requirements, needs and desires. Some here will say that's too much power and uses too much fuel. But if those aren't your primary concerns, I see it as a nice option. Again though if it's the one with no lower helm, that rules it out of my consideration.

Welcome Mr. B2go,

Looks like a really nice Ed Monk Jr. design. Is it the one on YW in San Diego?

Yes it is, Cabrillo Yachts has the listing.

Oh, I like it better than the one I was looking at. It does have a lower helm. A bit smaller engines and less fuel capacity. Still a nice boat. Spacious for it's size.

Basically a big aft cabin boat, if you do proceed get a good Detroit Diesel guy to check over the engines, the 6V92TA are not the longest lasting engines when run up near the top.

Back
Top Bottom