would you replace this anchor chain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seattleboatguy

Vessel Name
Slow Bells
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 38
I have 100' of this old chain (BBB, age unknown) connected to a single anchor. I plan on adding a second anchor and chain to my boat this summer. When I'm all done, I want to end up with 2 anchors, both with 100' of chain and 100' of rope. The question is, would you use this old chain for one of those 2 anchors? Thanks.
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg

It's still intact enough to be reliable, from what I can see. That said, I would replace it if I planned to keep the boat long-term. It will continue to deteriorate and in the relative cost of boating, chain isn't all that expensive. Finally, I hate rust, especially if it were draining into my bilge.

Ted

I would probably use it. Keep in mind however, that I am really cheap and don’t know much about chain.

I’d probably dump it into a bucket of Ospho and agitate the contents now and then, keep on truckin.

Forget the chain.
Refinish the board the winch resides on.
You can paint the chain w cold galvanize spray paint.

It’s going to be messy to store, but it looks quite sound.
I’d carefully inspect the ends and renew any questionable connections.
If you boat in shallow sandy areas, you could slowly drag it in the sand for a while to clean it up.

It’s going to be messy to store, but it looks quite sound.
I’d carefully inspect the ends and renew any questionable connections.
If you boat in shallow sandy areas, you could slowly drag it in the sand for a while to clean it up.

I was thinking about that type of thing. My imagination envisioned a 50 gal drum, dump the chain in the drum, add some silica sand and roll the drum on some rollers similar to a rock tumbler.

Then I got to thinking, was the chain originally galvanized? If so, it looks like it is pretty much gone.

That’s why I recomended cold gal Dave.
It does fairly well re abrasion. When I first did an anchor mod and sprayed it w CG I thought I’d be redoing it monthly. But it holds up fairly well.

Inspect the chain fairly closely. Sometimes a few links will be much worse than the others or so rusty they are actually jamming. If so and near an end just cut it off but if towards the middle then replace it.
If that is not the case, the chain actually just lightly rusty, then keep it for the secondary anchor setup.

Try tumbling it or dragging it on a gravel road to clean it up and then give it a blast of zinc primer.

Overall it looks ok but you still have to check every single link.

I would keep it and move it to the backup anchor.

Our marina suggested to a friend there to drag his rusty chain down a dirt/gravel road to clean it up. He did and it worked well.
I would do that and keep the chain.

Check the links for dia. after cleaning and get it regalved.
Ours has little to no galv left but will be getting a new 240 ft when next on the hard.
The stuff we use now comes up clean and shiny where it drags through the sand so when we head north we'll start running it all out to get it clean and get it regalved at Bundaberg.

$500 for regalve vs $2000 for new chain is a no brainer.

Last edited:
If you use the chain as is, expect to get a lot of rusty stuff on your foredeck that can be a challenge to clean.

Look for a plater in your area. If they can re-galvanize 100' of chain, they have very large tumblers. They will tumble it first then galvanize it. Like new!

If you use the chain as is, expect to get a lot of rusty stuff on your foredeck that can be a challenge to clean.

Diluted Hydrochloric acid gives almost instant results.

I'll throw my 2 cents in with the re-galvanizing group. If you're in salt water, it's gonna be rusty and it'll be a mess, plus it will continue to rust and deteriorate. It looks pretty sound, galvanizing will keep it from deteriorating further, and it won't make a mess.

BTW, in 11 yrs of cruising, we've used our 2nd anchor exactly ONCE. Invest in a good anchor and rode, you'll sleep better.

I have already encountered the rust-on-the-deck problem. What a pain!

I have already encountered the rust-on-the-deck problem...
Re galvanize,or accept rust on deck. Chain looks ok,the issue is weight and handling, getting it on/off the boat, to/from the galvanizers. Replacing it saves some movements, but preserve it if you can.

No problem getting it off the boat. Run bow pulpit over dock and put dock cart with a sturdy garbage can in the cart. Pay the chain out into the garbage can. Haul it up the dock and 2 or 3 guys lift the garbage can into a truck. Done it before.

Mine was rusty for the first 40 ft at the anchor end. Not as much as the OP's pic's, but enough to put rust stains on the deck.

I decided to end-for-end the chain, but ran it through some rust converter solution, just for a few minutes. Then I read the label on the rust converter and it said best to paint afterwards.:facepalm:

So the pic shows how it ended up. Apparently the colour code mnemonic is from the English Navy. It's Rub Your Balls With Grease.

It was relatively easy to paint the 10m sections. I laid it out on some cardboard then used a small brush to paint one side of the chain. The following day I rolled it over to paint the other side.

I was recently on the hard and replaced the chain (and windlass!) and the chain was still OK. I had anchored out for 120 nights over a 12 month period, and I think the paint would hold up for a couple of years.

Attachments

• RYBWG sml.jpg
    RYBWG sml.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 88
Very colourful Brian. Great patience, brush painting chain,both sides,changing colour as you go. But rewarding for effort,must be the envy of any anchorage.

My 10 cents worth is it does not look too bad. I'd endorse Insequent's suggestion re turning it round end for end, as the end that has spent most time in the drink is always in the worst condition as a rule. I did that, but cut away several of the links at the new end which had clearly spent quite a bit of time sitting in a salt water puddle in the locker. I then extended the end with a decent length of stout nylon rode, and fixed it securely in the locker, so if the entire lot ever ran out, it would just slip on the gypsy, rather than rip it out, or if the whole lot had to be let go in an emergency, it would be much quicker and easier to cut, than chain.

I would recommend a re-think re the dragging through an abrasive to polish it up, because you would be doing that at the expense of even more galvanised coating. After all, that's how galvanise works, by developing a surface layer of oxidation, not all that much different from the way stainless works. What my next concern would be is what anchor is going to be attached at the business end to do the anchoring deed? Way more important in my view. You can have brand new chain, and a dog of an anchor will still let you down. Just interested, but in no way do I want to hijack your thread into a "my anchor's better than yours thing". :flowers:

Very colourful Brian. Great patience, brush painting chain,both sides,changing colour as you go. But rewarding for effort,must be the envy of any anchorage.

Or he could have saved himself a heap of grief and effort, and colour-stained fingers, by just fitting a chain counter. Actually, I think Brian is now considering this move even as we speak? Right Brian? :)

Or he could have saved himself a heap of grief and effort, and colour-stained fingers, by just fitting a chain counter. Actually, I think Brian is now considering this move even as we speak? Right Brian? :)

I already had a CruzPro chain counter, installed it a couple of years ago. It is great. But I figured if I was painting the chain anyway then I may as well use some colours!

Hopefully, fresh-watering the chain as it is hoisted, as is my practice, delays corrosion from salt water.

Back
Top Bottom