Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Peter Man,
Yes I think it is. The pic here is of the 45lb Dreadnought anchor I bought and took back. Bent in too many ways. The Dread remaining is the one I've tried and it's 35lbs. Quite heavy for Willy but too small for most boats here. The 35lb Dread is in perfect shape and I'm going to fill in some w the JB Weld to limit the throat opening to about 36 to 37 degrees. I was going to take it all apart but it's well riveted and really dosn't need it so I'll just coat it w some of that "cold galvanize" stuff in a spray can. It worked really well on my modified XYZ. You can see in the picture how the "pad" in the back of the anchor pushes the end up to give the flukes a better angle of attack than the Danforths.

In the 2nd pic you can see that I do now have a winch. A capstan really and it's apparently very sensitive to alignment because the anchor line gravitates/runs over to the motor side of the drum when pulling the anchor and it's all I can do to keep the line from running off the edge if the drum. The holes in the deck are already there and I don't want to re-drill them thereby making them larger but if I can't find/get a saddle style drum I may need to do that. As you can see the winch is very small but it seems to have plenty of power. It also makes plenty of noise. I practically jump overboard when I accidentally step on the switch while on the bow. I need one of those covers.

The new Manson Boss may be the anchor I was looking for years ago. The one I handled at the boat show was supposed to be 15lbs but it sure felt lighter to me. However it looked to have more fluke area than any anchor I've got. It's light enough w only a small amount of chain that it can be pulled very easily by hand and shows great promise that it will have plenty of holding power and perhaps good short scope performance as well. Wimpy or not I'll be watching that one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0888 copy.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	16537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0161 copy 3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	16538  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Pender Island
wishbone......Pics?????

figures crossed ... hope this works!!!!! jp
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040242.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	16540  

Lucy 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Oh yes very much so and as I thought they have provided for insuring an appropriate angle of attack of the fluke on setting. Just sheet metal fluke though w no reinforcing webs. It looks like it could have good veering performance too. The design would be worth pursuing but the mounting on the bow issue kills that. Good picture Lucy 11.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Pender Island
wishbone

The whole operation is stainless steel so aught to be pretty sturdy.... On the Breadbasket the anchor will be carried over/on the pipe rail .. near the bow ... there is a hydraulic winch(which I haven't tried yet) which will assist in pulling the anchor............ now that I'm on roll..... here's the breadbasket. on the hard... zincs and bottom paint AND the prop which I must replace.... 30x19x3 blade (LH) accepting a 1 /2 inch regular tapered shaft.........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1040221.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	16542   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040220.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	16543  
Lucy 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Peter,
In the 2nd pic you can see that I do now have a winch. A capstan really and it's apparently very sensitive to alignment because the anchor line gravitates/runs over to the motor side of the drum when pulling the anchor and it's all I can do to keep the line from running off the edge if the drum. The holes in the deck are already there and I don't want to re-drill them thereby making them larger but if I can't find/get a saddle style drum I may need to do that. As you can see the winch is very small but it seems to have plenty of power. It also makes plenty of noise. I practically jump overboard when I accidentally step on the switch while on the bow. I need one of those covers.
On that point Eric, how would some sort of guide in an upright position just in front of the drum, placed in the optimum position to put the rode on the middle of the capstan drum work? As you only need a couple of turns on the drum, it does not have to be movable. Could be made of cheap galvanised iron, even wood maybe..? So it works as sort of a sacrificial guide. Could be just a vertical piece of thick ply with decent sized U-shaped slot in the upper edge, and mounted with a couple of brackets.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
Guru

City: St Augustine, FL
Vessel Name: RunningTide
Vessel Model: 37 Louisiane catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy 11 View Post
figures crossed ... hope this works!!!!! jp
That is the same Wishbone anchor I used on a number of occasions. I used one out in the Bahamas on a 6 month cruise, and on another occasion a delivery trip island hopping from Ft Laud to Venezuela. It worked like a charm, except it was hard to store on a bowsprit. In rocky, or sanding bottoms it would grab pretty quickly, and it was a very centered grab. And if it tripped loose at night while swinging around, I could pretty much rely on its resetting on its own.

Where it was really unreliable was soft muck...like the harbor in Annapolis Md. Keep one boat on the hook there for quite sometime, and was always nervous. Fluke area was just not great enough for soft stuff

brian eiland is offline   Reply With Quote