Windlass and anchor recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The best price I found for US made chain was at Maggi Chain in Dania Beach FL, but that was for pick up in person. I bought 5/16 G4 made by LaClede Chain in St Louis for just over $3 / ft. I bought 300 ft. Seems well made and eveny galvanized
Next cheapest I found was Defender at $3.25 / ft. Plus $$ shipping.
Good luck and enjoy your cruising. JohnS

I have never anchored in more than 15' of water in Florida or the Bahamas. Do not overkill or the weight becomes problematic. 150' of 5/16 HD chain with another 150 ft of nylon works for me. Never had more than 25' of nylon in the water but never saw 50kt winds at anchor either. Even so, with heavy winds nylon won't be on the bottom anyway.

For what it's worth, our 35,000 lb NT42 has an older Lofrans Tigress, 400' of 3/8 chain and a Rocna 33 (73 lb). Most of our anchoring along the BC coast is in 40-50' but can be down to 100', and usually in gooey mud. That combo works great for us; never dragged and never fouled.

:thumb:
I too have an older Lofrans Tigress that has performed well for me. In fact its lifting power was tested once, as it lifted a steel trailer that my 44# CQR had fouled. That load was likely well in excess of any wind load in an anchorage. Certainly more than any weight of combined chain and anchor. My boat weighs 44000#. Yours is not likely near that weight.

I have never anchored in more than 15' of water in Florida or the Bahamas. Do not overkill or the weight becomes problematic. 150' of 5/16 HD chain with another 150 ft of nylon works for me. Never had more than 25' of nylon in the water but never saw 50kt winds at anchor either. Even so, with heavy winds nylon won't be on the bottom anyway.

That is what we had on our last boat too. In 18 months of anchoring most nights in Florida and the Bahamas, including a hurricane, we only got the rope wet twice. Both of those times we only had 25 feet of rope out.

OP,,,,,the photo you posted has a delta,,,,keep it, they are great. 12 years of bahama cruising and only once did we drag and that was inside green turtle cay, go figure.....
get a spare anchor like the advice offered and then get a hurricane anchor to keep stowed . i have a max that is about 70 pounds but never used.

Windlass Anchor and Rode

My 47 had all chain, not sure of the size or total length, 45# CQR, and a Maxwell VWC 1500 as I recall. Anchoring in So. Cal. was typically in sand and 45' to 120'. Never in a storm. The CQR set, held and reversed beautifully. Although most times we would spin around a lump of chain rather than the anchor. Now with a 64,000lb boat with a Maxwell VWC2000 and 500' of 5/16"(?) chain I researched anchors. The boat came with a Fortress 55 and two Fortress 38s. The Fortress requires a 5:1 scope to be effective and when anchoring in 120' of water in our somewhat crowded anchorages I felt I needed to be effective on shorter scope. I really liked the info I received on the Mantus. Mantus recommended a 120# anchor and min. 3:1 scope. I thought it overkill so I bought the 85#. So far so good but I've only anchored 6 or 7 times. I love the all chain rode for easy retrieval and maximum anchor performance. Since I have control in the fly bridge I can bring it up alone if I have to. Yes it has a chain counter as well so I don't have to mark my chain or strain to see it in the dark. I like to head out to the Islands on Friday night so anchoring in the dark is normal. I keep a Fortress #38 loaded with 20' of chain and ?' of rode for a stern anchor. I have used it twice but have not measured the length. I have the #55 as a storm back up and yet another #38 for what?, a Kedge?. Anyone in So. Cal. want to buy Fortress #38. I think I don't need all of these. I might want a smaller kedge.

Ground tackle

I have a ,little over 50,000 miles under the keel. My wife and I have been through 7 Hurricanes togerher + 1 more for me last one was Irma. Not bragging just stating facts. Most of those were in a 36', 22,000 lb sailboat. The last 2 were in our 40' 30,000 trawler.
Ground tackle on sailboat:
44 lb Rochna
150 ' 5/16 HT
Maxwell 1200

Trawler
55 lb Rochna + I brought my 44lb
150' 3/8 HT
Ideal (it was there.)
You ask 100 people you will get 100 different opinions.
Your chain should be heavy enough to provide a good shock absorber so you don't transmit jerk/shock to your deck hardware.
My ground tackle was chosen for worst case not best case. Damned hurricanes hunt us down.��
Best of luck.
Gypsy Soul

Last edited:
Your chain should be heavy enough to provide a good shock absorber so you don't transmit jerk/shock to your deck hardware.

Chain helps, but some type of bridal will also provide shock protection.

FWIW - I think you are throwing away money buying 300' of chain in your cruising area. You will never use the last 100'.

2 reasons to buy the 300' chain:

If the anchor gets hopelessly fouled in a situation where you can't dive on it, after removing all the scope and cutting the short length of chain, you can just attach a new / backup anchor and be back in business.

The galvanizing that usually deteriorates worst first is near the anchor end. In addition to being able to swap the chain end for end, one can also elect to cut off short lengths and still have an adequate length chain.

In the scheme of things, the extra 100' of chain really doesn't weigh that much.

Ted

I was ready to buy a Tigres for my 41' President Trawler and saw the Lewmar H3 on the same shelf. Just wondering if anybody has first hand experience with this Windlass. Too many options, Ugh...................

I had an ideal on a GB32 which I rebuilt myself (probably the same motor as a 58 Pontiac starter motor) and it was easy and built like a tank. I don’t like anything Lewmar, too much Chineseum. Muir windlasses are deluxe, very good quality but very spendy.

Does your current windlass have adequate wiring? If it is too small, that is a great way to hobble a windlass. I’d make surd its not the problem. Run the numbers on the manufacturer’s site to see if it is really too small.

My current windlass is an hydraulic drum, which is excellent, but won’t fit well on a “yot.” I have 100’ of hightest and 300’ of nylon braid and rarely does more than 25’ of line get in the water, just for quiet.

Last edited:
Ted,
Depends on the size of the boat.
And if one is hand retrieving or using a capstan.
Thanks for the reminder about swapping ends.

gkesden (OP) - are you sorted with your anchor set up yet ?
Your previous posts mentioned the math involved to size your anchor and windlass, so here is a simple solution.

1. Obtain your vessels weight, and divide by 500.
(i.e. 35,000 lbs /500 = 70 lbs). In this case, the anchor size you want is the nearest one to 70 lbs. So, a 30kg (66 lbs) anchor would suit just fine.

2. Now have a look at your existing anchoring set-up. Choose an anchor that will fit within your existing footprint (pulpit, roller, handrails, distance, angles, etc),

3. Size your Windlass and to lift your anchor and ALL of your chain. Couple of suggestions:
(1) Try to obtain a Windlass that fits within your existing footprint and take note of the wiring size that is currently there - i.e. 12v vs 24v
(2) I suggest 200' of chain.

Let us know how you get on. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom