Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Why does the anchor shackle Kink like this?

This happens occasionally when weighing the anchor on our 42 Krogen. It happens with the "swivel" pictured. I replaced the swivel with with a simple anchor shackle. It still happens about 30% of the time.

I thought it might happen when we swung around the anchor with out enough *pull force on the rode to cause the anchor to turn and reset. Like drifting around on a calm night with the tidal current but no wind to stretch the chain. Well it happened last time on a lunch break where we stayed in about the same place the whole time. No swinging.

When it happens I have to hook the fluke end, let out chain, and take the weight off the shackle to un- kink the chain. I do not look forward to doing that in a rolling seaway. Any one dealt with this? Hope the photo come through. First try at adding a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anchor img_0456_2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	2822  

xfedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

not sure but why do you have the large/additional swivel on the anchor anyway? Why not just attach the anchor to the chain rhode via the U-shaped shackle with the through bolt on it that is attached directly to your anchor in the picture? *My anchor is attached to my chain rhode with just that u-shaped shackle you have in your pic without the 2nd one in your pic and I've never had an issue. *Maybe I'm missing something though.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Sunday 3rd of October 2010 10:17:49 PM

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:53 PM   #3

RE: Why does the anchor shackle Kink like this?

The *size *of shackle that will "spread" wide enough to allow the anchor to accept the pin will not fit thru the size chain I have. I have to step up one shackle size from chain to anchor. *I think it is 3/8th *inch to a 30kg bruce knock off anchor.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #4

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

I have never understood why people use swivels on their anchor chain.

I suggest you get rid of the swivel and if you cannot spread the last chain link enough then install 2 shackles.

One on the anchor and one through the chain.

Do you realise that one side of a shackle is wider than the other.
The side with the thread is the biggest.

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

I don't understand. In your picture you have the U-shaped shackle mounted directly to your anchor. Just slide that shackle through your anchor with the pin side facing the rhode and then slip the chain into that and close it off. Are you saying you don't have enough room for that shackle to go around the anchor and one section of chain? If so, get a larger shackle but I can't imagine that is the case b/c if it is big enough to tie into the swivel it should be big enough to tie into the chain?
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #6

( for Allan) It present, I have just the set up you describe and am still getting the same kink. *I do think swivels are over rated and expensive.

-- Edited by xfedex on Monday 4th of October 2010 09:25:36 AM
Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

I Are you saying you don't have enough room for that shackle to go around the anchor and one section of chain? If so, get a larger shackle but I can't imagine that is the case b/c if it is big enough to tie into the swivel it should be big enough to tie into the chain?
A larger shackle *slides around the shank of the anchor and the pin fits through the shank *but *that size shackle will *not fit through a link of chain so... anchor to large shackle to smaller shackle to chain. I am using a common galvanized shackle. I have not looked for a thinner shackle but thin is scary when used in conjunction with anchoring the boat.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
FF
Guru

but that size shackle will not fit through a link of chain so...

It will if you purchase new chain in a pail.

The last link is oversized , so the proper shakle pin will fit.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Some anchors (I think Danforth) spin when going down and twist the rode. For that reason manufacturers developed the swivel. Good in theory and perhaps good in practice but I suspect some to many don't have a low enough friction to actually swivel in service. A lot of people see the swivel and think they need it because someone made it so there must be a need for it. Anchoring is mysterious enough that most people think (and rightfully so) that there must be things that only the experts know and anyone can see where there might be a need for a swivel. The swivel is in most cases a weak link and I suspect should be avoided unless one has frequent problems with twisted rodes. Then one can try the swivel and see if the problem goes away. In your case xfedx I think you could duplicate easily that hitch that your boat tied on the end of your rode on your foredeck. Anyway I think that swivel is weaker than the chain (and perhaps by quite a bit) and I'm quite sure the swivel is MUCH weaker twisted up like that so I'd recommend removing it and see if your rode twists up. Oh * ...better get that mud off before you bring it on deck.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

How about an anchor swivel.
Works for me. 3 years running never a problem. Do a google search they make them in any size From connections big to small and small to big. The price bounces around from $300.00 to less than $50.00. I got the cheap one can't see loosing a $300.00 swivel on a $200.00 anchor

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
xfedex wrote:

A larger shackle *slides around the shank of the anchor and the pin fits through the shank *but *that size shackle will *not fit through a link of chain so... anchor to large shackle to smaller shackle to chain. I am using a common galvanized shackle. I have not looked for a thinner shackle but thin is scary when used in conjunction with anchoring the boat.
We had the same problem and found these shackles.

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/attac...pa038alloy.htm

http://www.1st-chainsupply.com/attac...kles_alloy.htm

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Paz, BCS, MX

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

I don't know why your chain is twisting, but if it comes up that way and the boat did not swing on the anchor, it must be spinning as it comes up.* As for swivels, I do know there is at least one good reason for a swivel.* On our boat, about 1/3 of the time, the anchor comes up hanging 180 degrees from the position it needs to be in when stowed.* Twisting it to the proper orientation is a real pain, and a swivel would make this much easier.* Having said that, I won't use a swivel. Within the last year, there were several letters in Latitude 38 (a sailing magazine) from cruisers that have had a swivel fail (once nearly wrecking the boat on the beach). (see the story here at the bottom of the page):

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/...6-12&dayid=284

One brand in particular was worse than others, and it was sold at West Marine.* The editor sent a letter to the manufacturer explaining about the information he had received, and as you would expect the manufacturer blamed the owners for not doing proper maintenance on the swivels.* As I remember, there was a small bolt that held it all together and if that bolt loosened, it fell apart.* I'm not sure how it all ended up, but the swivel can certainly be a weak link in the system.* The swivel in the photo looks like it's either bent or at the maximum angle of travel.* In that position, with a big load on it, it looks to me like it could fail.* If it were just chain, I don't think the yeld strength would be reduced much.* So, we simply have two shackles, and armstrong the anchor into position when needed.** ................Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Monday 4th of October 2010 11:52:24 AM
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #13

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

John
What size shackles are you using??
I go by rule of thumb
If you have 8mm chain then I would use a 10mm shackle as it is the largest that will fit the links on 8 mm short link chain
You can then use a larger shackle on the anchor
Put the pin of the shackle through the chain not the bow unless it fits and fit bow to bow

As Eric has said the swivel is definately the weakest link

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #14
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III

While we're on shackles, is there a preference for U vs. bow shackles? What's the difference in indicated uses for both?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
Grand Vizier

I've occasionally had the same problem.* I avoided it by laying out about 1.2 times the water depth in chain, backing a little bit to tug the anchor chain straight, then laying out the rest of the chain.* I think this happens when you drop the anchor and chain in a heap.

The permanent solution was a monster SunCor swivel that can't loop around like your setup has.

Hope that helps.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
AllanY wrote:

I have never understood why people use swivels on their anchor chain.
Me either.* We used to use a swivel in our rode as it seemed "the thing to do" but after talking to boaters in our marina who we learned anchor out a lot in all sorts of conditions, we got rid of the swivel.* No one we have met to date who has a lot of anchoring experience has a swivel in their rode, be it all-chain or combination.* A swivel is a weak point, particularly when mounted backwards as many people seem to do, which does not allow the swivel to pivot from side to side as well as "up and down" in line with the anchor shank.* Swivel pins are not designed to stand up under side loads, so if a swivel is mounted in such a way as to not let it line up with the rode at all times, there is a risk the swivel pin will break and the boat will no longer be attached to the anchor.* A number of swivels do not by their designs let them line up with the rode if the boat moves off to the side of the anchor.

We use an all-chain rode and we anchor in areas where currents and winds can rotate the boat around the anchor numerous times.* To date, we have never had a twist or kink in the rode.* This has been true with both the Bruce we used originally and the Rocna that replaced it.* Our current setup is based on the notion that the fewer components there are in the anchor rode the better.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 11:24:16 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

I don't understand. In your picture you have the U-shaped shackle mounted directly to your anchor
Actually, that's the correct way to do it.* Attaching the legs of the shackle directly to the anchor shank is the wrong way to do it. (You can read about why and the Bad Thing that can happen if you do this in Earl Hinz's excellent book "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring.")** I see in our marina more anchor swivels attached directly to anchors using the legs and every one of them is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Actually, that's the correct way to do it.* Attaching the legs of the shackle directly to the anchor shank is the wrong way to do it.Please explain, as I don't have the book.* Thanks.....................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Most swivels-- but not all of them--- have a closed end and an open end (the end with "legs.") What a lot of people do (including me until I read Hinz's book) is attach the open end--- the two legs--- to the anchor shank. They then use a shackle to attach the chain to the closed end of the swivel. The problem with this is that attaching the two legs to the anchor shank allows the swivel to rotate in one direction only, back and forth in line with the anchor shank.

If the boat is blown or carried out of line with the anchor shank, the rode will start pulling sideways on the swivel because the swivel can't pivot sideways to line up with the rode--- all it can do is pivot back and forth in line with the anchor shank. The weak link in a swivel is the swivel pin. It is only strong when the pull is straight through it, which means the rode has to be lined up with the swivel. But since the swivel cannot pivot to line up with the rode, the pull now starts to be put sideways on the swivel pin, If the side load gets high enough--- and high enough will often be far less than it would take to break the anchor out--- the swivel pin will simply snap and your boat will no longer be connected to the anchor.

The proper way to attach a swivel to an anchor is to use a shackle between the swivel and the anchor shank. This will allow the swivel to pivot in any direction it has to in order to maintain a straight line with the rode. So the load on the swivel pin will never be sideways, it will always be straight through it.

The method recommended by Hinz is to attach the closed end of the swivel to the anchor using a shackle and attach the open end--- the legs--- to the chain.

The problem I see with the chrome-plated, bullet-shaped swivels that are quite popular is that they are apparently designed to have the open end-- the legs--- attached to the anchor. The chain goes on the other, bullet-nose end. So you've got the same problem--- the swivel can't pivot sideways to the anchor when the boat gets blown off that direction. so the strain gets put on components that aren't built to take that kind of strain.

There are fancy streamlined swivels with a pivoting feature instead of a conventional swivel pin. I assume this is to prevent the failure I described above. But the ones I've seen are very expensive.

We've decided that a swivel is unnecessary so we don't use one at all anymore.* We use a single shackle to conect the chain to the anchor and we put the round end of the shackle thorugh the anchor shank and the shackle pin through the chain.** But if you do use a swivel, make sure it's attached correctly between the rode and the anchor so it can always pivot to line up with the rode no matter which way the rode is angling in to* the anchor shank.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 5th of October 2010 02:21:02 PM
Old 10-05-2010, 03:02 PM   #20

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Regarding shackles, beware. THere are a lot of shackles coming from China now that are not stamped with the max capacity. Therefore you dont know the real strength of that device. It might look good but might also be made with inferior material.

R.

ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote