Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Where's the Boss

Certain anchors get most of the attention both good and bad.

When the Boss first came out I was very impressed and expected great performances but it seemed to Peter out. And then it went dead ... at least as far as I knew. Now I see more and more of them. I saw one on a GB in Seattle and yesterday in LaConner. Both looked big.

I'm in the process of modifing my Manson Supreme and what I have planed will change the Supreme into something that will look surprisingly like the Boss.

There must be TF members here w a boss anchor that could tell us something about it. Many have been asking for real world input. What is out there on the Boss.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

City: N/A
Vessel Name: N/A
I too am somewhat interested, though I don't necessarily need to replace the Manson Supreme I currently use. There are several offerings by several vendors in this line.

Rocna Vulcan
Mason Boss
Sarca Excel (too a degree. It has the tabs, however it has the convex shape of a plough/delta rather than the concave shape of the traditional Rocna or Manson Supreme.

As these lines were introduced to provide an answer to those who's anchor and line/chain run through the bow pulpit rather than over it, I'm curious to see how they're setting and holding performance compares to their predecessors.

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
Guru

Another thing I thought of is that the Spade's Oceane and it's decendant the Sword look even more like the Boss. The Oceane and Sword weren't super performers (in tests) either but I've only seen one test result. Perhaps they are popular in Europe. I'll look in my test srashes when I get home.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Being a new member and having read various things about the Boss I can add that two years ago I bought a Boss because it looked like once dug in it should hold very well (however it is ugly). I came from a Bruce which probably worked and held 90% of the time (I always set the anchor). I try to anchor in sand or mud and I boat in Florida and the Bahamas.

Now that's out of the way. I'm impressed by this anchor. It digs in easy and I have never dragged even in a shift of wind or current. I use a chain rode and once the chain comes tight the boat is fixed. My boss is 60 pounds, I also have an Ultra of 60 pounds but have never had to use it. The only place the Boss doesn't hold is about 150 feet off Elliot Key when the bottom is scoured and is coral that can't be penetrated. Anchored in sand one day in 25 knot winds I never moved and the next day I motored up over the anchor to retrieve it and I could see was chain. That boat would never move.

Disclaimer, I always read good things about the new style anchors with the roll bar but could perceive a problem in getting the anchor to dig in past that bar.

Hope this helps some.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
FF
Guru

"Certain anchors get most of the attention both good and bad."

When someone wants to sell steel that costs a few hundred bucks a TON with some welding for $10-$20 a pound , there is a requirement for HYPE.

That last years HYPE is long forgotten is not unusual.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #6
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
When I stand at the waters edge on the beach, my feet with only tiny motion seem to work their way into the sandquite rapidly.

I find it curious why some think that a rollback anchor can't manage to wiggle in an inch or so thick rollbar.

Sure lots of pictures don't show it burying when others do...but maybe it doesn't have to. The holding power tests no matter how flawed seem to show rollbar nexgen anchors holding their own against the competition.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #7
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I considered the Boss as a strong contender in my selecting a new anchor. I was intrigued by the shape of the flukes that mimicked a roll bar without having a roll bar. The only thing I could find on it was a video that West Marine put up. It was early in the introduction period, and there were no actual usage reports. I still think that it could possibly be a very good choice, and your report backs that up. However, there isn't much material on usage available, or at least I haven't found it.

I chose the Sarca ExCel, and couldn't be happier with it. It's good to hear of your good experience with the Boss. I will be interested in anymore info. Thanks for posting.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #8
Guru

psneeld,
You are right but it's common knowledge that the deeper a given fluke gets burried the greater holding power it will have. But the real world tests and user experience shows that they hold quite well. Very well in tests as very high tension is applied to the rode and moderately so w user testimony as almost all user testimony is in benign conditions.

The roll bar is bad for performance but other features that help an anchor perform are also bad for holding power. The fluke won't control itself to maximize it's effectiveness so it's a matter of choosing one (or more) non-fluke features for control. Few of these features help holding power very much and some not at all.

In the example of a roll bar anchor like your Supreme the Vulcan and Spade use a weighted chamber to basically do the job of the roll bar. Since there's plenty of anchors w each of those features it's obvious that it dosn't make much difference which is employed to control the anchor.

And how deep an anchor gets burried is important but the bottom may only allow several inches of penetration so probably the biggest fluke wins. A bottom w only several inches of sand on top of a hard pan perhaps a Danforth would outperform most all others as there will be more of the loose sand on top of the flukes. With a hard bottom but soft enough for your Supreme to penetrate it's likely it will hold better as more sand will be on top of the fluke. A bigger area of sand w the Dan and perhaps the same amount of sand vertically w the Supreme.
You can stand on the hard beach and all the wiggling of toes in the world may not produce any penetration at all.

IMO the road to the best anchor for a skipper to use is a good balance of holding power and setting dependability ... along w scope flexability and the way the anchor mounts the bow.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #9

Psneeld. I certainly value your opinion and can see where in soft sand you would be 100% correct but what about other than soft sand such as mud or grass growing on the surface of the bottom. My thought was even if the roll bar impeded the burying of the anchor a few % I wanted an anchor that gave me the largest advantage in staying in one spot.
Even if your correct and the bar has zero effect what did I lose by going to a bigger surface anchor that doesn't need the bar to right itself?
Not to put any other anchor down because I'm not that familiar with but a half dozen but I'm very satisfied with the Boss. I too would like to see more reports on various anchors as I prefer to anchor out.

Moonstruck I agree about the lack of reports on the Boss. The one I read was about a sailboat on the west coast of Florida and the young couple seemed to find it very good. I was sold on it because my feeble brain told me that the larger the surface that you could bury the better an anchor should hold (if you can bury it) so I took the plunge. After all having a boat means I overpay for everything. LOL. After two years I'm happy and would buy it again.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #10
Guru

Bigfish wrote;
"Even if your correct and the bar has zero effect what did I lose by going to a bigger surface anchor that doesn't need the bar to right itself?"

You gained a bigger and heavier shank that impedes penetration as much as the roll bar.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #11

"You gained a bigger and heavier shank that impedes penetration as much as the roll bar."

Possibly you are correct, without having both shanks to weigh and measure I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #12
Guru

For openers just observe the length of the Vulcan shank. A very long curve. And so long it was deemed weak by it's makers so they added extra metal on the outboard edges to form a bit of an I beam. Beautiful pice of work but heavy and dragy. Contrast the Spade. It's got the same length shank but hollow built up fabrication. Much lighter. And formed like a knife. But the Spade has a very heavy ballast chamber. And that probably impeeds penetration more than a roll bar.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 AM   #13
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
I posted this on the Vulcan thread a month or so ago, but here it is again as this thread seems to have a paucity of owner reports. I like the Boss.

David

"I was a big fan of the original roll bar Rocna and used it for a hundred or so effortless sets one spring and summer on a previous boat.

So I purchased a Manson Boss which is very similar to the Rocna Vulcan for my Mainship Pilot 34 where the roll bar won't fit on the bow sprit.

I have only anchored a few times, but so far it is working as well as the original Rocna: sets easily and holds well. The shape with deeply upward curved flukes makes the roll bar unnecessary. The roll bar did two things I believe: It helped right the anchor if it hit the sea bed upside down. And it added weight to the front of the plow to help it dig in. The tip on the Boss is weighted and the curved flukes help it right itself."
djmarchand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #14

Eric. I really not familiar with the Vulcan except that it resembles the Boss which I am familiar with, the maker even machined a slot so you can back the anchor out of being entrapped (I don't use that feature). I have used it a few hundred times and the only drawback is that it is ugly. I'll accept ugly in return for faithful (not talking about wives). LOL
Old 09-01-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
Eric. I really not familiar with the Vulcan except that it resembles the Boss which I am familiar with, the maker even machined a slot so you can back the anchor out of being entrapped (I don't use that feature). I have used it a few hundred times and the only drawback is that it is ugly. I'll accept ugly in return for faithful (not talking about wives). LOL
As the great American philosopher, Dr. Hook, sang, "When you're in love with a beautiful woman, watch your friends". Baker is a nervous wreck.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #16

And the other rock song from my days "Make an ugly woman your wife and be happy the rest of your life". Ugly is relative. LOL
Old 09-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #17
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: RUNTIME
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
Here's a photo of our Rocna just after it was set in the Bahamas. I always jumped in the water to check after anchoring, but scraped up my leg one day so had to stay out of the water for a while. I asked my wife to swim down & take a picture for me (what a woman!). By morning, after a 20-25 knot blow overnight, all you could see was chain disappearing into the sand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2906 copy.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	55893  
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #18
Guru

Bigfish wrote;
"Eric. I really not familiar with the Vulcan except that it resembles the Boss"

Most here (including me) think the Vulcan looks like a Spade. Indeed they both have a ballast chamber, a look alike fluke and the same shaped shank.
The Vulcan was extremely ugly in it's prototype stage but bloomed at production. I like the anchor but not fond of the makers.
I would think the Boss is very close to ideal in design but haven't seen it perform in a test. Would love to see Steve of SV Panope get ahold of the Boss .. or/and the Vulcan. I think he's out cruising.

Your testimony anchoring "a few hundred times" w the Boss sounds very good indeed. I assume you consider it a very good high performance anchor. As I mentioned earlier "OldDeckhand" here on TF speaks highly of the Boss too.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #19

Eric

"I assume you consider it a very good high performance anchor. "

Yes, it the best anchor I've ever owned anchoring in my area. I try to avoid grass and reefs. My last anchor, a real Bruce, I though was treally good but this is great. Before the Bruce I used Danfort anchors and they worked but never trusted them on a change of tide and in the Bahamas where I often anchor in mini channels I always used a Bahamian more. I have so much faith in the Boss I only drop that in the middle and have full faith it will reset and I'll be in the same spot in the morning.
I think all the new class of anchors are really good and the difference between them are no very great.
BTW I considered the Spade and was ready to buy it but I didn't like the attitude of the person at the Ft Lauderdal boat show.
I'm not scared to buy new technology even if I don't understand it. LOL
Old 09-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
But the Spade has a very heavy ballast chamber. And that probably impeeds penetration more than a roll bar.
??

Why or how would ballast impede penetration?

-Chris