Where's the Boss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish,
960hp should be enough to set most anchors.
I only have 40hp and use less rpm (a tad).

There's a thread on rpm to set anchors. You may find it interesting. I suppose a formula could be created that would dictate how much reverse thrust should be used to set anchors. Of course every anchor is a bit (or lots) different and that dosn't compare to how different a sea floor can be.
See See Steve's "Anchor Setting Videos" thread. He also has a 40hp engine and set many anchors about 40lbs .. in a soft bottom.
I've seen quite a few studies on how much wind creates how much drag but I've not thought any were very close to reality.
The next time you're anchored in a strong wind look at the rode and notice details. Then come as close as you can to duplicating it. That may be of some help.
The only time I've anchored at 10-1 it was just because I could. Almost never have I anchored where 10-1 scope is possible so I polish my short scope act. And choose my anchors accordingly. I own 11 anchors and all are good at short scope.

Nomad Willy, Hey Eric, I was just driving over the Rainbow Bridge today and lo and behold I saw Willy headed south by Shelter Bay. Headed for the yard?

78 Puget,
Yea that was us. Went out to try out our new bottom w two to four coats of new paint.
The prop was the wrong pitch so I had (Tom A) take out an inch .. do you know him? Lives in LC. Much closer to perfect .. only 100 rpm down now. Was 300. So I'm almost 100% happy.
We are in K39. Where are you? West of us I'll guess.

Yeah, I know Tom, he has done some work for my little MWB and also cleaned up the prop for the CHB as well, does good work. South Marina, now moved to C44. Finally got a new slip and away from the most unpopular slip on C dock. It has the big wedge built into the slip to carry the big power box. Everybody that gets that slip also gets on the waiting list for a better one!. I had it for about 5 months.

Chris

I never thought to see what the manufacturer recommends for anchoring so I went to his web site and low and behold he gives his technique for anchoring. My heart started to beat faster and got excited (I'm easily excited) with the hope of finding the secret to the universe (at least for the Boss). However the recommended technique is to use 7:1 scope and back slowly down on the anchor and when it comes tight continue to add throttle to set the anchor. What a disappointment.

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Chris

I never thought to see what the manufacturer recommends for anchoring so I went to his web site and low and behold he gives his technique for anchoring. My heart started to beat faster and got excited (I'm easily excited) with the hope of finding the secret to the universe (at least for the Boss). However the recommended technique is to use 7:1 scope and back slowly down on the anchor and when it comes tight continue to add throttle to set the anchor. What a disappointment.

Might not be cause for too much disappointment; sounds pretty much like what you said you'd been doing all along, and it's been working for you. What's not to like?

:)

-Chris

Hi Chris

LOL. Yes, it is very similar to what I do except I like to let the anchor settle a little more. I was hoping for more secret ninja stuff. ��

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom