Scope is key!

windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

I have a 35lb delta anchor and it has worked well in all conditions except mud. The few time I've set my fortress as a second anchor it did no good the delta held fast.

Judging from your boat pic (avatar), I'd guess both weight and windage would suggest a 35-lb Delta isn't heavy enough anyway?

FWIW, and not at all meaning to bring design/brand/model into the thread... I've had a 35-lb Delta drag in soft mud... although at the time we had 8 boats on a raft, each over about 16K-lbs, one near 38K-lbs.

-Chris

Old 03-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
2,000 nights at anchor, dragged twice ... once with three anchors out and once with two out.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:45 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Judging from your boat pic (avatar), I'd guess both weight and windage would suggest a 35-lb Delta isn't heavy enough anyway?

-Chris
Heaver is always better. However when I bought my anchor over 3 years ago this is the one that was recommend: Lewmar Self Launching Delta Anchor - 35 Lbs
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:22 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Spec'ing an anchor is really simple ....
"The biggest anchor you can physically handle is almost big enough"
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #26
FF
Guru

20K of breeze is basically nothing IF you are in a nice protected spot.

20K across even only 5 miles of water can produce enough wave action to test the anchor.

Esp if the boat bow blows off easily and you dodge back and forth sailing to the end of the anchor line.

Then dropping an anchor under foot , and attempting to become more secure is worth while.

In open water anchoring BIG is better , esp in southern areas where 20K can change to 50K as a thunderstorm goes by.

In open water , rig the black anchor ball , or at least leave the anchor light on in daytime , so others can figure out you are anchored from further away
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #27
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Yes, that is another excellent use of a stern anchor! Is that two anchors coing off the back?
I don't know why but I always seem to have the "proper" equipment when on a boat. Friends, not so much. Aw, man.......I forgot _________. Is what I hear a lot. The other line is a friend who didn't even have stern ground tackle.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #28
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I have it pretty easy here in the Carolinas. Most bottom is sand and a Fortress does just fine. Never had a dragging problem. Fortress is one or two sizes up from recommended size, I'm sure that helps.

Now down in the Keys, it is a different story. Bottom there is often a layer of eel snot of varying depth on top of absolutely flat caprock. I've had a lot of trouble dragging there. And so have others. One night a front was coming through and I chose to rent a slip. It was a good idea. That night was full of folks screaming on the vhf as all sorts of boats were dragging around. What a mess.

I don't know what anchor (or two) would work in that stuff.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I have it pretty easy here in the Carolinas. Most bottom is sand and a Fortress does just fine. Never had a dragging problem. Fortress is one or two sizes up from recommended size, I'm sure that helps.

Now down in the Keys, it is a different story. Bottom there is often a layer of eel snot of varying depth on top of absolutely flat caprock. I've had a lot of trouble dragging there. And so have others. One night a front was coming through and I chose to rent a slip. It was a good idea. That night was full of folks screaming on the vhf as all sorts of boats were dragging around. What a mess.

I don't know what anchor (or two) would work in that stuff.
Actually Ski, it was anchored off the west side of Boot Key for two days in sustained 20-25 from the ENE that I was thinking of when I wrote this in Post #6, the closest I ever came to dropping the Danforth :

Quote:
I had the big Danforth that came with the boat rigged and ready to drop at a moments notice. Almost did once or twice, but we weren't moving so didn't; plus the next landfall if we dragged was Cuba a 100 miles or so away in one case.
Another place down there we did fine in bad conditions was in Newfound Harbor on the north side. As we were coming around to drop, a guy radioed us a said "get a good set, we had a catamaran come whizzing by here this morning".

The only real tricky spot down there, which was also our favorite, was Bahai Honda. The current does rip in and out of there, you have to be real patient. My avatar picture was taken by another boater from the old bridge as we were coming in once, nice story there, they turned out to be in the American Tug shown to the right in this picture. Got a knock on the hull later that day and the guy in his dinghy handed me a print ! Became good friends.

So what ground tackle did you have? Other places we anchored down there that come immediately to mind, though typically without real bad weather, were off Cape Florida (Key Biscayne), Elliot Key, Pumpkin Key, Tarpon Basin, Rodriguez Key, Islamorada (Lorelei's), Lingnum Vitae Key, Fleming Key, Niles, west side of of Newfound.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote