Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #21
City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
That's about what I use. 400' and 20 chain. However I've got a much smaller boat.

And that's basically what Chapman recommends in his "Piloting" book. Another 10 or 20' of chain probably would be better but any more is probably a waste of money and more importantly considerable weight that does little if any good. I think a short and heavy chain rather than a long and light chain is better. The weight next to the anchor shank where it can do the most good.

The above is just my opinion and there may be a few "other" opinions to follow. Too bad the anchor hasn't been invented that requires no chain but then I haven't seen an anchor test that uses only nylon line. Tradition dies hard but I think some chain is desirable especially for setting. Probably mostly for setting.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #22
City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Originally Posted by Wxx3 View Post
Thanks FF,

Great idea, as i have had two occasions where it was clear to me that the boat was jerking on the chain.
I didn't want to get mixed up in this, but I use a nylon snubber -- a long one. 25 ft attached to all chain rode. Leave a bight of chain between the pulpit and the chain hook and that acts like a billet pulling down on the chain effectively increasing scope. 25 ft seems to do the shock absorbing thing. Snub it shorter for calmer weather.

Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #23
Hospitality Officer
City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Originally Posted by MARI View Post
Hi. I have a 39lrc cheoy lee trawler, and had been using a danforth. 10 feet of chain and 300 feet of line. I sail mostly in the caribbean. I read all you folks use chain only. Will that not make the bow dive? Excuse my ignorance, as i am a newby with an old boat, learning as much as i can.
An easy way to judge how the extra weight will affect your boat is to stand on the dock and get say four friends to stand on the bow and see how that affects the boat at the waterline.

For a boat your size I doubt that you will notice much of a change.

By the way Mari, it's not the done thing to refer to your trawler as 'old'.

'The Surprise is not old; no one would call her old. She has a bluff bow, lovely lines. She's a fine seabird: weatherly, stiff and fast... very fast, if she's well handled. No, she's not old; she's in her prime.'
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #24
City: North Charleston, SC
Originally Posted by No Ice View Post
Can you all help?
I have a Grand Banks 42 loaded it weighs approx 50,000 lbs max.
Im buying a new 40 KG anchor a Rocna but i dont want to get involved in a deep debate on anchor types! I dont like causing trouble

i have 320ft of 10mm galvanised chain but suspect that it will be a bit light for the new anchor.
My anchor locker can hold more but not to much.

All input gratefully received.

No Ice
I didn't see anyone mention this, but if you have a windlass, your chain choice is limited by what the windlass can handle, both size and type.

I wouldn't think one would size the chain for the anchor, it would be sized for the boat so if it has served you well in the past, I would keep it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 AM   #25
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Like he said...

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote