What kind is it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
This is the anchor I've been using . It works but I don't know what it is . Home made Danforth ? That's a quart bucket next to it .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 157
You could call it a "Danforth Style". You couldn't really have a home made Danforth.

The shrimpers down the bayou make up their own, in a variety of sizes similar to that. Usually not as nicely welded though.

Let me show you my latest anchor acquisition.

Bought it at an ""Industrial Supply" store. I think it was made by a salvage company for their own use. It was cheap but I bought it because I like the Danforth design even knowing it's shortcomings. This anchor is not frail like all Danforths I'd ever seen. The man at the store said it came from a salvage co and implied he had more of them so I suspect the "boss" (at the salvage co) said "I'm tired of bent anchors" and told the not so busy welder to make some dups that wouldn't bend so easily. The shank and the stock bar are both 3/4".

I really don't know how it/they came about but I liked it immediately and bought it. It has "30" stenciled on a fluke so I assumed it was 30#. I weighed it on a good scale at home and it came in at 35#.

The other unique thing about the anchor is that the fluke flange is welded onto the inside of the fluke and dosn't fade out to nothing at the fluke tip like all other Danforths. See pic. Not only should this extended flange give strength the tip it may be better at penetrating hard bottoms. Something that Danforth anchors do poorly as testified by some TF members.

The biggest downside of this anchor is probably the same as some Rocna's. Not made out of stout stuff. It's probably just mild steel. The forged shank of a real Danforth was a skinny thing but stronger than it looked. But I can repair it w 4140 or whatever at some time in the future. If I use the anchor. My fascination w anchors is weakening so experimenting may scum to just getting the job done. As most know I have a number of other anchors and none have let me down even to drag a little.

There was a commercially built anchor that many fishermen still depend on in SE AK .. the Dreadnought. They have/had a round shank like Pac Mule's Danforth but the Dreadnought's shank is very long.

Attachments

• DSCF1255 copy.jpg
    DSCF1255 copy.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF1258 copy.jpg
    DSCF1258 copy.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0888 copy 2.jpg
    DSCF0888 copy 2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0233 copy.jpg
    DSCF0233 copy.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 134
The shrimpers down the bayou make up their own, in a variety of sizes similar to that. Usually not as nicely welded though.
probably right because my boat was a commercial fishing boat at first before being converted . It had a huge reel mounted in the aft deck with the fish hold below .

Eric, in your case,it`s probably more the set than the anchor that does the job. You have some odd bits of kit, shopkeepers with unusual anchors might rub their hands in joy when you enter, though sometimes they`d get a knock back and some advice, instead of $.

My main anchor is a no-name made locally. This stockless style anchor is by far the most popular anchor in this area. The Rocna's are the second choice.

This cruising style is quite popular as well. I am in complete control, although you can't see my remote autohelm in the hammock.

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 118
I can hear my welding supervisor of many years ago
"WRAP THE CORNERS"

Attachments

• welding corner.jpg
    welding corner.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 114
Yea Steve,
I'm no welder but I was thinking of halving those unwelded sections welded up. Now that it's galvanized that may be rather toxic. Probably won't make enough difference to make it worthwhile.

But it's likely I'm not understanding what you mean by "wrap the corners".

AusCan ... "This stockless style anchor is by far the most popular anchor in this area." ..... What stockless anchor is that?

Last edited:
Wrapping the corner would be bringing the weld around the point of the fluke an inch or so. Galvanized can be welded in proper ventilation but it looks to me like what you have there now will be fine.

AusCan ... "This stockless style anchor is by far the most popular anchor in this area." ..... What stockless anchor is that?

Eric - I know most "stockless" type anchors tend to have a flatter & wider fluke, but I think the term covers a variety of fluke shapes.
Stockless anchors | Sotra Anchor & Chain

The type I have is popular locally to penetrate the heavy weed beds.
Do you have a different term for it?

Last edited:
Aus Can,
I usually don't think of a Bruce or a Rocna as stockless anchors but of course they are. However most anchors at one time had stocks and were basically Kedge types. When the average person thinks of an anchor they think of the double hook thing hanging under the bowsprit of a old square rigged ship. They basically all had stock bars. The norm was an anchor with a stock. Almost all Danforths do have them to this day. My Dreadnought is stockless as are Navy anchors. And as in your link ... "Navy stockless anchor". So I view it as an old expression that has hung on for a very long time.

Well Aus I was just curious what the "other" anchor was/is that's popular in your area. "Down under" is so far away from where I live I'm curious what they/you use down there.

Last edited:
There is a huge range of anchors in use. My last boat had an imprint moulded into the foredeck for a Danforth, but carried a plough, which is probably still the most popular type here. I don`t think boat owners give anchor choice and updating enough priority, certainly not the priority level Eric would give it.
I don`t often see a Bruce claw type. The newer rollbar/triangular spade types are making inroads, and not just the Sarca brand. I`m satisfied they beat plough performance.

A while back I did a quick survey of the anchors, just walking around our marina, and the top four in order were:

Klip - Stockless - or whatever it is I have
Rocna
Admiralty/Kedge
Danforth

The most common anchor composition of ocean-capable cruisers in my marina (mostly 40-50-foot ketches) are a plow and a claw.

img_206135_0_668cff5be9562084ad98421480f33fd7.jpg

A while back I did a quick survey of the anchors, just walking around our marina, and the top four in order were:

Klip - Stockless - or whatever it is I have
Rocna
Admiralty/Kedge
Danforth

At my marina, the top one would be whatever came with the boat, usually a Danforth knock off. Many have never left the pulpit.

I am not sure that dual anchor system would really add much in normal situations. I gather from the video that one would drop the first anchor some distance, engage a chain lock on the second and then continue to drop it. Which anchor sets first and how does that affect the second anchor setting? It seems that if there is any slack in the chain between the two anchors, then the load is still being carried by only one anchor. I would like to see a video of the anchors hitting bottom and being set. It also increases the chances of a fouled anchor.

AusCan,
A Klip is like a Danforth isn't it? Is that the Danforth like anchor that Manson makes? They show a Danforth like anchor w some text about fishermen.

We love our "two hurricanes" 70lb Danforth so much that I had Lyman Pettigrey weld some repairs/reinforcements on it last summer. Sometime this winter it's going off to the galvanizers.:dance:

Cant wait to hear Eric`s evaluation on this one. It would look good on my pulpjt, which is the important thing. Could bring up a heck of a clump, though.

AusCan,
A Klip is like a Danforth isn't it? Is that the Danforth like anchor that Manson makes? They show a Danforth like anchor w some text about fishermen.

No - nothing like a Danforth,

The flukes are more like on a kedge type anchor, but it has two holding rather than one.
Probably has poor holding in soft sand or mud, but great for heavy vegetation on a limestone bottom.

I am not sure that dual anchor system would really add much in normal situations. I gather from the video that one would drop the first anchor some distance, engage a chain lock on the second and then continue to drop it. Which anchor sets first and how does that affect the second anchor setting? It seems that if there is any slack in the chain between the two anchors, then the load is still being carried by only one anchor. I would like to see a video of the anchors hitting bottom and being set. It also increases the chances of a fouled anchor.

Actually I agree, and more to the point, it looks like a thinly disguised way for Wemar to produce what looks like an almost exact copy of the Rocna, (i.e. roll bar with concave fluke), but get around patent by adding in a female version in tandem with convex instead of concave fluke. However, setting it well, and being sure both are set well, would be tricky, and altogether too much trouble for the most common usage situation.

Rocna Anchors // Rock Solid

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom