West Marine anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
I was in the WM store in Anacortes and saw this anchor.

Most anchors at least look like the'd work well but w this one I can't see how much penetration could take place after the bent down edge of the fluke hit the seafloor.

Anyone have one of things? Or used one? Looks like a sure setter but w a questionable hold. But Danforths hold well w little penetration on anything but sift bottoms.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:
Can't seem to post multiple pics w the i-pad,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 218
No,
It's in the Manson Boss and Rocna Vulcan catergory. A scoop anchor w/o a RB. The Delta is a plow like all the other anchors that look like it. But the WM looks like a Rocna w/o a RB. Except for the wing like outer tips. And the fwd tip of the fluke draws clearly from the Manson Supreme. But I've seen that tip heart shape on other flukes too and have no idea about it's function. All these years I've wondered and it could turn out just to be an embellishment. Steve (Panope) did observe the fact that (on a hard surface) the tip has less pressure on the seafloor and pressure (from weight) on the seafloor is golden while setting. The Claw does well re the tip weight.
But the Boss and the Vulcan have a system (the extra high curved shank) that keeps the anchor from dragging upsidedown but IMO the WM may not. But maybe that's why the flukes sweep back so far. Hmmmm.

It looks to me like with some pull on the rode the downward "flaps" would make the tip dig in for better initial penetration, but once in they might also hinder digging deep.

Well look at it this way, you probably wouldn't have to work too hard to get it off the bottom!

Steve and 78,
I agree on both counts.
And Steve this was my first thought when I first saw the WM.
Not often does an interesting anchor come onto the market and this one is interesting. I've seen and used more interesting like my XYZ and need I mention the Bulwagga? Even the name is interesting there but it's short scope performance is quite poor and stowing is probably this side of a nightmare.

But the WM is clearly not a rip off of some other design however it would be hard to design an anchor not resembling any other. I suspect I know who designed this anchor and intend to look him up. He has been very involved in anchor testing and West Marine so is a natural suspect.

I've seen this anchor for some time at the West Marine stores but never seen one elsewhere. This of course leads me to belive few have been sold and that would be a shame if it was a good performer. Probably never been in an an anchor test either. It may do well on Steve's (Panope) high performance reversal test procedure. Could be an opportunity for Steve. Not very expensive either.

When I consider that it only takes a small difference in fluke angle, width, tip design etc. to make a big difference in anchor performance, I see this anchor as being hugely different from others. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but there are some serious differences between it and other "plow" styles. For now, I'm happy with my Rocna.

Ken

Zebra,
Think the Manson Supreme is on sale too.
Would no doubt be a much better buy as a proven performer.
I don’t know but suspect a very prominent man in WM things anchor designed it. He (if it’s him) has been involved in numerous anchor tests.
Anyway w/o a long scope it may not rotate right side up.
Don’t see how it could penetrate more than a coupla inches either. Those turned down outboard leading edges would just plow along like a bull dozer. Maybe it was intended to work like a Navy anchor but w less weight. ??
My first paragraph is the only part of this post that isn’t 99% speculation. Just say’in.

Last edited:

In my view it looks like a sort of crude attempt at a combination of the Rocna/Manson Supreme in the fluke, but pinching and emphasizing in quite a gross way, the turn-down at the back of the fluke of the Sarca Excel. Might work - as most do - until they don't...eh Eric? :)

I'm not sure why anyone would purchase an unproven anchor when there are numerous tested, older design anchors on the market. New and used.

I certainly would not buy a private label (WM) anchor because it's on sale for 74% off. If it was a private label anchor that Danforth or some other anchor manufacturer stuck WM's name on instead of their own, that's different. WM's anchors 20, 30 years ago were manufactured by others.

syjos a big yes.

Peter,
I was trying to comment on the turned DOWN leading edge. A 10-15 degree turn DOWN would at least make some sense.
But I’ve seen non-sense features on anchors that turned out to be very clever indeed when the real function surfaced. Your anchor actually had at least two.

Eric,

You think any anchor manufacturer use some form of computer program to simulate various seabeds, water conditions and depth to observe/test the behavior of a variety of anchors and rodes?

I'm not sure why anyone would purchase an unproven anchor when there are numerous tested, older design anchors on the market. New and used.

I certainly would not buy a private label (WM) anchor because it's on sale for 74% off...
Might be a very good reason it`s 74% off.

Knock-off Bruces still work for me, leastwise in San Francisco estuary's thick mud.

A West Marine employee here told me he didn't remember ever selling a single one of them.

I can understand why. No real sales strategy from what I have seen/heard.

I have seen them but never an article about them and why they might be better than everything else on the shelf...or not but close.

I personally knew their product tester for West Marine and he's not only a good guy...he is IMMENSELY experienced. If the anchor is a dog...not sure how it got past him ...though he might be gone or someone else might swing a much bigger hammer in corporate to even try and sell it.

I'll stick with my original Bruce anchor
For really soft mud I've modified my Danforth anchor to open to 45 degrees. Coping the mud setting of the Fortress anchors. Really sticks.

I think if you cut off most of the turned down leading edge it should work fairly well.

I think if you cut off most of the turned down leading edge it should work fairly well.

I agree that it looks like removing the tabs will allow to dig in, but also hold? The surface area of the 'face' of the 'blade' doesn't look large (wide) enough. It looks like it could pull or more easily start dragging through the seabed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom