Water Source for an Anchor Wash/Spray System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An anchor wash down system is on my todo list. I was going to tee right off the fwd head thruhull. Now I’m thinking of putting in a Tee further down the thru hull line with a diverter valve before the connection to the head. Is this idea an improvement or a complication.
If both devices have valves in the pump, a Y or diverter valve probably isn't necessary. The valves within the pump act as check valves and keep the other pump from sucking air through the first pump. As an example centerfusial pumps don't have valves whereas diaphragm pumps have valves.

Ted

Yes, I'm thinking that would work well right after my AC pump through-hull. Need to be able to shut off the entire thing in case of failure of some kind. Seems a better place than the genny through-hull if a choice--lower priority. Whichever one pulls less water is another consideration too.

Be mindful that sharing a through-hull presents potential for one pulling the other dry. AC pumps are sometimes a hassle to re-prime, that and running them dry isn't good for their impeller. A diverter valve is a good idea but then you introduce the added steps of making sure whatever's pulling from the other side is properly turned off (and back on again later). I would not depend on just a check-valve as I don't think most are designed for constant pressure pulling back against them (more toward halting back-flow). That and check valves add a point for debris to collect or water to accumulate (presenting winter freezing problems).

Have fresh water faucet near the bow to wash off salt and mud of the rode and anchor. A raw-water rinse from salt water will leave salt.:eek:

We have both fresh and salt water washdown at the bow. Fresh water when it’s plentiful, and salt water when it’s not, for us.

If we ever get a water maker, I probably wouldn’t ever use the salt water one again! :)

We use line , no chain goes below so any muck stuck to the anchor is no hassle , it usually falls off in an hour or two underway.

I put T in the forward sink drain and then a ball valve before the washdown pump.

We have a 70 gpm pacer hydraulic pump which feeds an adjustable fire hose nozzle on the bow. Sometimes even that is not enough to keep the chain clean. It’s second job is to act as an emergency bilge via a y valve changeover. Oh it can also put 70 gpm into the bilge if a fitting breaks. Another thing you might want to consider.

"Another thing you might want to consider."

A 70 GPM pump with fire nozzle is great for keeping jet skis at bay.

Back
Top Bottom