Old 07-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #1

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Vulcan versus Standard Rocna, SS v Galvanized

One more project on my list is to upgrade the anchor, I currently have 300ft of chain and will add some rode to that but my anchor is undersized. (25kg Rocna).
From what I have read the Rocnas are great so thinking about getting a 55 or 70kg one but am curious if the bar around the top of it helps or is it worth getting the Vulcan? Also my guess is stainless is a weaker anchor, etc but looks better. Any reason to get stainless other than the looks? any reason not to?

Thanks for answering my barrage of questions!
Arthur

Old 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Try the search function...

Old 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

City: Mississippi
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Oh for the sake of humanity, I beg you - not another anchor thread - don't do it
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Stainless steel is not as strong as "normal" steel and SS costs much more. An anchor is something you may lose someday and it hurts less to loose a $200 galvanized anchor than a $800 stainless steel anchor.

For me, an anchor is a "tool" and functionality is much more important than looks.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Mud ect slides off SS anchors much better than galvanized.

SS anchors may burry deeper from less surface friction due to the smooth surface.

The roll bar (RB) causes drag and that drag may give more holding power but the RB may pitch the anchor up and that could result in less holding power or even breakout. So nobody knows (that I know of) if the RB increases holding power. Perhaps I should use the word "performance". Many RB anchors have very high holding power but there are some that are average too.

The Rocna has been well tested whareas the Vulcan hasn't. If I was to buy one of the two I'd get the Vulcan. This is just a guess but I think the Vulcan will probably have excellent but not outrageous holding power. And it probably will have better holding power at short scope. And it will mount on the bow of most any boat. May be better in rocky bottoms too with it's ballast weight.

Either anchor will work fine on your boat. IMO

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
Guru

Foxtrot and RT if you aren't interested in talking bout anchors what on earth are you doing here?

Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #7

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Mud ect slides off SS anchors much better than galvanized.

SS anchors may burry deeper from less surface friction due to the smooth surface.

The roll bar (RB) causes drag and that drag may give more holding power but the RB may pitch the anchor up and that could result in less holding power or even breakout. So nobody knows (that I know of) if the RB increases holding power. Perhaps I should use the word "performance". Many RB anchors have very high holding power but there are some that are average too.

The Rocna has been well tested whareas the Vulcan hasn't. If I was to buy one of the two I'd get the Vulcan. This is just a guess but I think the Vulcan will probably have excellent but not outrageous holding power. And it probably will have better holding power at short scope. And it will mount on the bow of most any boat. May be better in rocky bottoms too with it's ballast weight.

Either anchor will work fine on your boat. IMO
Thanks Eric, very helpful, I looked around and your right it doesn't seem like anyone has put them head to head. The comment on stainless is interesting, I'm also curious if the build quality is different between the two, guessing they are both cast (but ill do some research), not sure I can justify the extra $2,000 but it sure would look nice
Old 07-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #8
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
When I bought my boat it came with a SS anchor. I immediately traded the anchor for a month at a marina. FYI I have a 75# Rocna with a roll bar and have been very happy with it.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

City: Mississippi
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
"Foxtrot and RT if you aren't interested in talking bout anchors what on earth are you doing here?

Just having a bit of fun - actually enjoy anchor conversations
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Guru

Arthurc,
Quality has been a very serious problem in the past with Rocna. They were making their anchor shanks from mild steel. See in our archives.

High price anchors are generally high quality. But a high price dosn't guarantee quality. And you pay more for manufacturing quality than design .. generally speaking. A very good example of a high priced and high quality anchor is a Spade.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
My opinion only. I see the advantage of a SS anchor so if I were to get one I would upsize it by one or two sizes and marginalized the fact that it is not as strong as galvanized. I have a Delta SS on my port bow and a galvanized Boss on my starboard, I use the Boss about 95% of the time because it works so well ( it's really big).
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
..................... not sure I can justify the extra $2,000 but it sure would look nice
Have a canvas shop make you a bag for your galvanized anchor and no one will know. And you'll save a lot of money.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #13
Guru

Lmao.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have a 75 pound Rocna that I'm extremely happy with.

I bought mine from hmason before he owned one. Figure that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
FYI I have a 75# Rocna with a roll bar and have been very happy with it.
Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:23 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"not sure I can justify the extra $2,000 but it sure would look nice "

A rattle can of paint can turn a galvanized lump into a shiny lump in 10 min.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"not sure I can justify the extra $2,000 but it sure would look nice "

A rattle can of paint can turn a galvanized lump into a shiny lump in 10 min.
Excellent point FF. I could smarten up my 13 year old Super Sarca like that, now the galv is looking a bit past it's best, and it would look quite smart.
It still looks pretty ok, though...just a bit light brown in places of max wear.

To the OP. You might want to search the Manson Boss, a spade type rather like the Vulcan Rocna make, and also worth looking at the Sarca Excel, now available in the US, also. This is an anchor loved by those who have them. Your 25kg Rocna was a bit light for a 52 ft boat, but you don't need to go overkill with these new generation anchors. As for going stainless. Unless money no object you will find heaps of other stuff more worthy of your money for mine...

Have you (the OP), checked out this thread...
Anchor setting Videos
Old 07-07-2017, 06:11 AM   #17

City: Burgess, VA
Vessel Name: No Regrets II
Vessel Model: Legacy 42 sedan cruiser
...just say in'...
There are more superior setting and holding anchors out there that do not have quality control concerns and are competively priced that are not being mentioned!

Steve Bedford
Old 07-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2003 DeFever 49 RPH
I have used both the Standard ROCNA and the ROCNA VULCAN on my current boat. The main difference I see is: look carefully at your bow roller configuration. The Standard ROCNA (with rollbar) is best suited to an "open" type bow roller. If your boat has an aperture in the pulpit containing the roller (as my GB36 does) the rollbar will hit the end of the pulpit when anchor is fully raised. ROCNA brought out the Vulcan in part, to deal with this problem. I switched as soon as it came out and it has been a reliable anchor - indistinguishable for me anyway from the rollbar version. Go to the ROCNA website where they have downloadable dimensions of both anchors so you can make mock up to see what fits best. I'll leave the SS question to others with metallurgical background. SS makes a statement, just not a good one imo!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
Guru

I think the new generation of anchors are vastly superior to the ones I've used in the past. I currently have a Boss which has never failed me so I love it (sleep well at night) but haven't used the others so I really can't compare but I don't believe any anchor can do better.

Just my SSO.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #20
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
One more project on my list is to upgrade the anchor, I currently have 300ft of chain and will add some rode to that but my anchor is undersized.
Do you mean you will add rope to your chain, to create a combination rope/chain rode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bedford View Post
...just say in'...
There are more superior setting and holding anchors out there that do not have quality control concerns and are competively priced that are not being mentioned!

Arthur, as RT mentioned, there are boatloads of threads about the various anchor brands/styles (maybe 6 or 7 other credible brands/models in addition to Rocna), both here and on cruisersforum.com (sister site), so if you haven't reviewed all those yet you would likely find it useful to hear pros and cons in depth. And then there are also the two focused threads, one about on-going anchor testing (Panope) and the other pics of "bedded" anchors (Noelex), some of which are on cruisersforum but not here, I think.

And then it's important to match your anchor to your expected sea bed/bottom substrate. And maybe whatever dead weight you can (are willing to) lift if your electric windlass crap out (assuming you have one)... relative to whatever will fit your pulpit/roller system.

FWIW, we've been using adjustable "pivoting" SuperMAX anchors here in the Chesapeake (usually mud of various consistencies) for about the last 12-15 years or so, easily set, never a failure. Haven't even ever had to adjust them. Yet.

We've found Fortress anchors very useful, although now mostly as back-up and potential kedge since they dismantle and stow so easily.

-Chris