Use of rubber line snubbber on anchor bridle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sue Freeman

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
1992 36' Grand Banks Europa
I have an all chain rode and an old bridle that I use as a snubber.
I want to build a new bridle, using new 1/2 inch, 3 strand nylon. I'm thinking of building a rubber line snubber into each side of the bridle (such as Attwood, Whitecap, Falcon, or Dockedge) to add to the shock absorbancy of the nylon. In all my searching, I've yet to see where anyone has done this. Is it a bad idea??

The problem with shockles is that I'd have to install them (2 of them) every time I deploy the bridle. I was hoping to build the rubber snubbers into the bridle so they are set automatically when I deploy the bridle.
Why is the shockles snubber described as an anchor snubber and the black rubber ones are described as line snubbers?
Anyone know what is underneath the cloth covering of the Shockles snubber?

I deploy my Shockles a little different than depicted. I place one end on a 10 ft 1/2 inch line which gets secured to my sampson post. The other end is secured to the chain after the anchor sets. As the last 10 ft of chain is deployed, the line and Shockles takes the load and relieves the windlass gypsy.

I have the anchor snubber which is pretty heavy duty. I assume the line snubber is lighter duty but I don't have one. I've never opened up the Shockles, but figured it's a heavy rubber snubber which is protected from UV by the cloth covering.

There's the problem, I don't have a Sampson's Post. I have to attach the two bridle ends to bow cleats. So I would be attaching 2 Shockles each time - awkward.

Hey FlyWright, what's under your Samson post? Mine kind of makes me nervous. Also, I tried to make a bridle this weekend. My first attempt at splicing eyes into lines ended me with two ugly unequal length ropes.

Last edited:
There's the problem, I don't have a Sampson's Post. I have to attach the two bridle ends to bow cleats. So I would be attaching 2 Shockles each time - awkward.

Unless you are anchoring in storm conditions...a couple 1/2 inch nylon, 3 strand twist bridles will give the extra shock absorption you need...usually all you really need is the chain being lifted and settling back down.

Hey FlyWright, what's under your Samson post? Mine kind of makes me nervous.

That's a really good question, HS. I was concerned about that, too. The boat came with the Sampson Post but just a power winch.

img_168357_0_920e72cee45f4c457a2d194196c4d39e.jpg

When I added the windlass, I took all the sampson post components apart, polished them and reassembled it. It's very strong with a 10 inch square (100 sq in) stainless steel 1/4-3/8 inch SS backing plate secured by 4 1/2 - 9/16 inch SS bolts with SS locking nuts.

My anchor pulpit is secured in a similar fashion with a larger SS backing plate and beefier bolts...maybe 5/8.

img_168357_1_036674f14944d81de2e6b032062f4e75.jpg

Unless you are anchoring in storm conditions...a couple 1/2 inch nylon, 3 strand twist bridles will give the extra shock absorption you need...usually all you really need is the chain being lifted and settling back down.

^ +1

When I added the windlass, I took all the sampson post components apart, polished them and reassembled it. It's very strong with a 10 inch square (100 sq in) stainless steel 1/4-3/8 inch SS backing plate secured by 4 1/2 - 9/16 inch SS bolts with SS locking nuts.

Boat jewelry!

Ha! It's the shiny thing on the bow to distract from the countless cosmetic flaws. A bit like lipstick on a pig, but it's working!!

Ha! It's the shiny thing on the bow to distract from the countless cosmetic flaws. A bit like lipstick on a pig, but it's working!!

It's easier if one is emulating a working/commercial boat.

after being on their website,it appears the anchor snubber is designed for chain,and the line snubber is designed for line.

"after being on their website,it appears the anchor snubber is designed for chain,and the line snubber is designed for line"

Yes, it appears that way for the Shockles line - but why? Is it a matter of thickness?, shock absorbancy?, durability?
Staying away from Shockles, is there any reason I shouldn't use 2 line snubbers such as Whitecap, Attwood, Falcon, or Dockedge on my anchor bridle?
I understand people think a plain 3 strand nylon bridle is enough, but we plan to anchor out a lot for a 3 year Great Loop and I expect to be in some rough conditions, so I'm trying to plan ahead for the worst.

What about one of those snatch straps for freeing a stuck car?
It seems the elasticity would work pretty well in absorbing chain and boat movement.
The only downside i see is that a good 17k lb capacity strap is expensive at +$60.

Richard
Enquiring minds want to know

"after being on their website,it appears the anchor snubber is designed for chain,and the line snubber is designed for line"

Yes, it appears that way for the Shockles line - but why? Is it a matter of thickness?, shock absorbancy?, durability?
Staying away from Shockles, is there any reason I shouldn't use 2 line snubbers such as Whitecap, Attwood, Falcon, or Dockedge on my anchor bridle?
I understand people think a plain 3 strand nylon bridle is enough, but we plan to anchor out a lot for a 3 year Great Loop and I expect to be in some rough conditions, so I'm trying to plan ahead for the worst.

Ask people who cruise a LOT if they use anything extra....why or why not.

PM Daddyo....he is one of the more prolific cruiser posters here...and has anchored through 2 Hurricanes in so many years....

Surprised FF hasn't chimed in with using small diameter nylon like I always suggest.

Last edited:
sue,look at it this way.according to the website,if you buy two,you get a free gift! yea:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom