Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Up only Maxwell Nilsson

I have a model 3000 or 3500 late 80s vintage windlass. It functions in up only mode due to the motor being wound in such a way that it is not capable of operating in a down (opposite) mode.
2 questions;
1) has anyone replaced their one way motor with a two way motor and if so please provide details.
2) the Maxwell control I have is an "up" only control which I would like to replace as its on its last leg. Has anyone replaced their "up" only control and what/how did you do it. (mute if I can somehow get my windlass to turn both ways.
Thank you.

petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Went to their website and they talk about a new motor, see the third item down here.....

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
They also talk about installing a reversing solenoid for old installations. I don't see why a 12 volt motor is not reversible? I did that for an old Ideal windlass with a second set of solenoids. Put the switches far enough apart that you can't step on both.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
My capstan is reversable. Just swap the wires. I've done it several times to change the rotation direction and I just did it again today.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
It was my understanding that all 12-volt motors can be run in reverse. You'll want to swap the polarity to make it go backwards. It's not hard.

Question for the experts: do all 12-volt motors work both ways? I thought so, but maybe not...?!? (just wondering)

Last month I wired a Fan-tastic fan I bought. It came with a one-direction fan and I wanted pull AND push. A switch on/off/on with six attachment screws and voila: my fan does both. Is it universal or was I fortunate?
Old 01-25-2016, 12:08 AM   #6

City: PNW
Vessel Name: EXILE
Vessel Model: HANS CHRISTIAN TRAWLER
Thank you for your replies. Thank you for the lead, Rochepoint.
I also thought all 12v motors would run in both directions depending on polarity. I tried it and it didnt work. Further research revealed that it depends on how a motor is "wound" which determines if it can run in both directions. WHY? anyone would build a windlass motor in this way escapes me, especially when a 2 way model was also available. Cost? perhaps.
petdoc4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

City: Toronto
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
All DC motors should / will reverse if you reverse the polarity.

The only thing that I can think of is .... if there is something mechanical ie, gearbox design etc. that would prevent it from running in opposite direction.
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by petdoc4u View Post
I also thought all 12v motors would run in both directions depending on polarity. I tried it and it didnt work. Further research revealed that it depends on how a motor is "wound" which determines if it can run in both directions. WHY? anyone would build a windlass motor in this way escapes me, especially when a 2 way model was also available. Cost? perhaps.
Petdoc4u,
One very good reason. One can change the direction of the wrap on the drum. I just did that yesterday (by switching polarities) but I really don't know if it works better one way or the other .. yet. It may depend on how the line was woven.
I always lower my anchors wearing rubber gloves as a brake but I seem to remember reading about "powering down" on winch adds so it may have to do w that too. I know fishermen "power down" w hydraulic reel winches but that's w a hydraulic motor. And there may be other reasons too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #9

City: Toronto
Vessel Model: Kha Shing 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by petdoc4u View Post
The risk with power down is that if the chain bunches up at the pipe, one could do a bit of damage to the deck or windlass unless it's clutched. My old Lefrans Tigress had the clutch on down. As to WHY ?, I have never seen a DC motor that could not run in both directions. A winding is a winding ! in a DC motor ..... ( AC is different btw )
Ex Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochepoint View Post
Went to their website and they talk about a new motor, see the third item down here.....
Wow, thanks so much for this website link. Not interested in adding a down capability, but I have rebuilt mine once and wondered if spare parts were available.

Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxwell, nilsson, non-reversing, up only