Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Unique Bruce/Claw

As far as I know the Claw anchor was unique in boat anchors until introduced to the boating world in about 1973 by the Bruce brand. I know of no anchor that looked anything like the Bruce before that time. Most all earlier anchors were decedents of the Navy, Danforth or Kedge anchors.

And it's interesting to me that most (at least) anchors after the introduction of the Bruce are related to the Bruce and not the anchors that came before it. The Spade, Delta, Rocna, Shark, SARCA, M Supreme and even the XYZ are all descendants of the Bruce. They all have an arm like shank shaped a bit like a hook attached to a single fluke either convex or concave and they all are designed to set on their sides while being dragged across the bottom. A possible exception to setting on it's side function may be the SARCA. But they all have the arm like shank and pointy arrow shaped fluke. All these anchors are direct descendants of the Bruce yet none have the general appearance of the Bruce. Until I analyzed it I thought of the Bruce as unique.

What this means (as I see it) is that anchor design basically threw out all of the past and embraced the new design and it's descendants henceforth to the present time. There basically are no survivors from the old world anchors. Before the Bruce there were basically Kedges and all the others that were related to the navy types (stockless anchors). Along the way weight was reduced, holding power increased, directly proportional to fluke area and the stock was added for stability.

Then the Bruce entered the scene and nothing has been the same since.

The only anchor that dosn't fit into this scenario is the CQR. I think it would be hard to argue that the Bruce was a descendant of the CQR but it DID have a hook like shank and it DID have a single fluke. Hmmmmmm.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor

I have a CQR and a Danforth on my boat. I did not know what cqr meant until now.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #3

City: Petaluma, Ca.
What about the " Box " Anchor ?

Fishbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Guru

dhmeissner,

WOW!

I've got to start using Wikipedia more. I would speak very slowly if I did but perhaps there's merit to looking at Wikipedia always before opening mouth ... or pecking a keyboard.

Wonderful resource. Going back to read Wikipedia Anchors.

I'm amazed. Wikipedia says the Kedge (they call it an Admiralty Anchor) has more holding power than Navy types that they call "stockless" anchors. I hadn't heard the expression "Admiralty" anchor. "Stockless" of course includes many similar anchors to Dreadnought and "Navy" anchors.

I personally DON"T BELIEVE Wikipedia on the holding power of "Stockless" anchors being less than Kedge or Fisherman anchors. At least in a typical sand/mud bottom.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Carrying both Bruce and CQR is frequently seen here on 40-foot-plus-long boats

Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
dhmeissner,

WOW!

I've got to start using Wikipedia more. I would speak very slowly if I did but perhaps there's merit to looking at Wikipedia always before opening mouth ... or pecking a keyboard.

Wonderful resource. Going back to read Wikipedia Anchors.

I'm amazed. Wikipedia says the Kedge (they call it an Admiralty Anchor) has more holding power than Navy types that they call "stockless" anchors. I hadn't heard the expression "Admiralty" anchor. "Stockless" of course includes many similar anchors to Dreadnought and "Navy" anchors.

I personally DON"T BELIEVE Wikipedia on the holding power of "Stockless" anchors being less than Kedge or Fisherman anchors. At least in a typical sand/mud bottom.
I always take Wikipedia with a grain of salt, but it's usually a good place to start. With anchors it's always about the bottom I think.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Stopped off at a guys yard last weekend who had a big anchor on display. Turned out to be a stern anchor to kedge LSTs back off the beach. It was indeed, a giant Danforth SAY 8' long and I'd guesstimate a bit over a ton. And no, it wasn't for sale.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with claws. So for the sake of thread relativity, I can say that I do have a genuine Bruce on my bow.
Attached Thumbnails
28.sternan1.JPG  
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Like this one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2165371001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	19808
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Yup.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #10

City: Benicia CA
Where's Marin when you need him? This was his favorite topic!
Nsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Guru

The landing craft's kedging Danforth has weird palms. I've seen it before and don't understand it at all. Most are shaped so as to make the aft end of the anchor rise up to orient the flukes to dig in. But this one (and I've seen others) look like to they are designed to dig in and not particularly to cause the aft end of the anchor to rise at all.
Anybody have any ideas?

Mark,
I think the CQR is found more on sailboats for the same reason most Claws are found on powerboats ...... fits on the bow nicely. That feature needs to be given it's due credit. It's easy to put a bigger Claw on one's bow and as long as it's a "decent" anchor many or possibly even most will go for it. The best anchor dosn't just appear on one's bow ..... it is chosen by the skipper. CQRs and Claws fit easily on the bows of sailboats .. one on each side of the forestay. But Mark I think it's an odd choice on that sailboat in that both anchors do poorly in mud and mud bottoms are so very common. There may be nothing else in the Delta.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #12
Guru

Where's Marin? Dusting off that thingy propping open his garage door?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 05-27-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
Guru

Gig,
I offered to buy it a long time ago but he wanted to make a statement about how bad Bruce anchors were. So I bought a 22 lb Claw myself and it has worked fine but not in any blow. I may yet get a bigger Claw someday but I have plenty of anchors as it is.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #14
Guru

The Bruce works well in the California Delta and SF Bay. Much of the "mud" we have here is poorly hydrated making it very firm and indurated: unlike hydrated mud which is soluble with poor holding. Also, the local mud has a fair amount of silt and v fine grain sand in the matrix which gives the Bruce a bit more to hold on to. I have had our Bruce set so deep that I had to work at it for an hour or more to break it free.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 05-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #15

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
The Bruce was developed to secure oil and gas rigs in the North Sea. A tug would deploy anchors with weights of many tons, sometimes setting three per corner and one or two mid ships of the rig. Once dropped the tug would use its power to set. Once set they were never recovered.
Yes the Bruce is a fine anchor but should never be used in on a Stoney bottom. I have witnessed boats dragging with Bruce and when the anchor was recovered the throat was full of a rock.
My favourite all round anchor is a trusty Northill, and it like the dean forth was developed for anchoring aircraft. Bill
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Looks to me like you are trying to get post 10,000 out of someone..

Photo says it all....
Attached Thumbnails
North Saanich-20121120-00004.jpg  
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #17
Guru

Not at all. Actually on this thread I'm glad he's not here. His input re the Bruce would not be a positive force. No .. Certainly disruptive. In fact I waited for him to leave before starting this thread knowing he'd be all over it w negative bias. Marin's great but I don't want him here.

A point about the Claw. Most anchors have a shank that is angled down to the fluke such that the shank is at an angle of attack that causes the shank to ride up to some degree impeding the anchors progress down into the bottom where it belongs. The Claw however has a shank that is basically vertical causing drag that the boat easily overcomes but no resistance to penetration occurs until the bottom is up to the horizontal part of the shank. By that time the fluke is 6 to 8" submerged below the bottom surface. This may be one of the reasons the Claws have such a good rep for setting fast. I consider it a great advantage for the design.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a bookend shot to go with Mike's. Love my claw!! It self-deploys flawlessly from the self-deploying bow roller and always returns right-side up. It's never failed me and I anchor alot, but next time I'll buy the 20kg model.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Eric, I think the Bruce begat all of the concave designs and the CQR Plow begat all of the convex designs.

"What this means (as I see it) is that anchor design basically threw out all of the past and embraced the new design and it's descendants henceforth to the present time."

The Danforth is not related to either the Bruce or CQR Plow but it is still a popular design.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Mark,
I think the CQR is found more on sailboats for the same reason most Claws are found on powerboats ...... fits on the bow nicely. ...
Ray's (Giggitoni's) GB42 sports both CQR and Bruce on the bow: it's not just a sailboat thing.