Under the chain pile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve

Guru
Vessel Name
Gumbo
Vessel Make
2003 Monk 36
Is anyone using something between the chain pile and the floor of the anchor locker? I'm thinking something like those snap together ventilated tiles that are used on locker floors. the idea is to maybe provide a bit of ventilation and keep the chain, hopefully, dry or drier. I am not sure if those vinyl tiles are strong enough to stand up to the weight of the chain in my case about 200' of 5/16.
Suggestions or experiences?
Thanks in advance

Steve, I am familiar with that type of flooring. We used it in the paddock at the race track under our canopies. It locks together very well and is very robust. It should survive in the bottom of the chain locker without issue. The mechanics would put a 1350# race car up on a high lift pallet jack to maneuver the cars around and it did not phase the tiles one bit. There are various brands and some better than others. 'Kiwi tile" was considered the gold standard and is what we used.

Yes...similar product to dri- deck....

Sounds good Thanks to all! I have some on Dri deck tiles board now under rope locker etc. I'll be putting put some under the chain.
We have had lots of rain, 13", the past 2 weeks, yesterday, by chance, I took a look at the chain locker it had about 6" of water in the bottom. The chain is rusty and needs to be replaced, the drain was plugged with sand and rust flakes, so spent today cleaning that out. I'll be getting new bottom paint soon so will replace the chain then. I will put some screen over the drain to work as a filter to help keep it from getting plugged, I hope.

Last edited:
Actually, my locker drains quite well, but I have found the lowest links do rust faster than the rest sitting in salty water, and when I end for ended the chain recenlty I had to cut about a metre of the bitter end off. I then connected it back to the locker u-bolt with a 10' length of nylon, for quick release cut free in an emergency, and also so if I ran the whole rode out the last bit would just slip on the gypsy and not rip itself out, but wish I had thought of doing what you are going to when I bought the chain new. Too late for now.

I added 150 feet of 20 mm nylon spliced to the end of the 330 feet of 13 mm chain, so this is at the bottom and the chain sits nicely on top. This serves dual purposes, gives me extra rode length of required and provides good bedding on the base of the anchor locker.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

The delivery plastic trays used for shipping soda cans are tossed when they break..

2 or 3 of the bottom sections will hold the chain up so it rusts slower .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom