Two anchors to play with.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bruce that’s a clever idea.
I’ll bet Rex came up w that.

Some arrangements don’t need it so much.
On my boat I pull rode until there’s only several links to go before the anchor shank is at the bow roller. Then I “saw” the chain back and forth (or up and down) over a length of several links while twisting the chain w my hands until the anchor lines up.
A lot of things on smaller boats are easier to deal with.

But I can see where someone w a bigger trawler would really like this. Does Rex have a patent on this too?

Last edited:
Bruce that’s a clever idea.
I’ll bet Rex came up w that.
It`s a while back, but I think it was my idea when I found chain caught up on the sliding shackle.
However,I doubt it was a unique problem or Rex would not have come up with a solution which covers it.

dhays wrote;
“I have looked at that in the past. I have problems with the anchor being oriented properly and I have thought it might help.

It would be nice to see any TF members that have used it and see what they think.

Ahh go ahead Dave take the big chance.

Thursday Sept 26,

After so much trouble w mud I struck gold yesterday w/o traveling very far. Close actually. I considered this area to be mud even though it said “S” at least twice in the area. I was fooled because it’s very close to a large river. The river is the Skagit and it’s on the north end of Camano Island.

This area is mostly 15’ deep and large. Large enough so while playing w the anchors I needn’t worry about drifting.

It all seemed to be sand. I thought sand was a seafloor that had poor holding power but not w these two ARA (Anchor Right Australia) anchors.

I first deployed the SARCA (Sand and Rock Anchor). I’ve more or less always liked this anchor and had (probably) an inflated opinion of it did w it what I’ve spoken quite negatively about in the past as a very bad way to anchor. That is stopping the boat and running out all the rode I think I may need, making the end fast on the anchor cleat and backing down. Being almost all line I must have made a big wad of anchor and nylon line. The big wad of line must have wrapped around the shank or whatever as the anchor when dragged seemed to go in and out of the sand. Realizing my first try was a dumb mistake not knowing how much luck (bad) was involved I pulled all the rode up and by then seemed to be not tangled or otherwise weird.

Then I deployed the rode more or less as I usually do. In 15’ of water I deployed about 75’ of rode, made the line fast and had Chris go into reverse at an idle. With a scope of about 4-1 setting was almost immediate.
I wanted to maneuver the boat over the anchor and apply tension to the rode in the other direction. Running around the walk-around decks looking at the 5/8” white line in the water and trying to keep the line away from the prop proved too problematic. Perhaps another day w more wind where I can turn off the engine and drift over will come to pass but ?
I ran the engine up to 1400rpm in reverse and tried to pull up the anchor line (vertically) between the bow roller and the anchor cleat. Was very difficult to pull the line up 1”. About as tight as I usually set.

Made two other sets w the same results.
On the second set I ran the engine up to 1600rpm and the SARCA held fast. Just to see if it was on the verge of breaking out I gave the engine a very short burst or power before going back to idle. No movement. Started pulling up the rode. I could tell as the rode became near vertical it wasn’t popping out. I increased the rest periods between short power applications and noticed my winch was working harder that it ever has. Spent more rest times soaking the anchor out and after about 15 minutes .. up she came. Don’t think I have ever had that much trouble extracting an anchor before.

Had a devil of a time catching the SARCA w a boat hook (at the roll bar) and hoisting aboard over the port side. Rigged a safety line to prevent me going overboard and was a bit uncomfortable leaning into it but it worked as planned. There was no mud or anything else on the anchor. The SARCA was so clean it seemed to be a bit polished. Just in my head I spoze.

Mounting the Excel was fairly easy as I cut my hoop/brail in two so the shanks would fit. Looks a bit like cow horns. Used star lock washers to keep the two “horns” from moving .. they didn’t.

The three sets were text book perfect w the Excel. Only used 1400rpm hoping to avoid the “anchor stuck” event as w the SARCA. Took “only” 10 minutes to get it out.

These anchors are too hard on my little winch. And because of the way I deploy anchors it’s awkward having them trying to fall overboard so much as in “self launch”.

Much of the results of this outing may have been the result of the sand bottom. I have very little experience anchoring in sand however some to many times I anchored in Alaska and BC may have been in sand as my anchors seldom came up mudded. The mud I experienced on my other recent outings was unusual so I have yet to anchor test (recently) in a typical bottom. I seem to recall generally speaking that holding power of anchors in sand is low. I just experienced very good holding power with the ARA anchors in sand so .. go figure as they say.

I forgot to mention I did a short scope pull on both anchors at about 2.5-1. Took 1400rpm fine.

Eric, I`ve not had the "retrieve" difficulty you describe with the Super Sarca. Of course I don`t see what`s happening down there, but assumed if there was difficulty underwater the shackle slid to the blade end and lifted it out vertically. Better a difficulty pulling it out than a failure to set, but a difficult retrieve could have it`s problems too,though I`ve not experienced that.

All good Eric. All good. However, by resorting to this backing down under power, which you are so used to doing because most other anchors require it, now try not doing that next time. Just lower the anchor to the bottom, then either let the boat drift back, or using very slow idle in reverse, until you have about the length of rode you would initially use for a lunch stop, say. Then stop releasing rode, and just have faith, letting the weight of the boat set the anchor itself...slowly, with no reverse power at all if possible. You will not only be surprised how well it does set. If for an overnight, then later, do let out a bit more rode, and give a brief burst in reverse to satisfy you all is well, but not too much. Once you've developed the faith, like me, and I suspect other users, (Bruce?), you even drop that last tug and just go to sleep with confidence. :)

Then if a blow does not come along and sink her in further, she'll come up easier, with less mud, (if there is mud), but if the wind has come up, and has dug her deep, you won't begrudge the deeper set, or the mud, but it will be less than with most other types of anchors, and if you use the trip slot it will come out without straining the winch. I kid you not. Based on hundreds of successful anchoring overnights with the same S-Sarca hook. Have not used an Excel, but the word is they do as well, but are sleeker for more modern bow set-ups. Keep playing my friend, and give us the feedback. :popcorn:

Last edited:
It all seemed to be sand. I thought sand was a seafloor that had poor holding power but not w these two ARA (Anchor Right Australia) anchors.

I can't remember ever having a problem anchoring in sand... with a Danforth, Delta, Fortress, or our current SuperMAX.

-Chris

I have a confession.
I can’t believe I did but the slot didn’t even occur to me on retrieval. Diddn’t even think about it.
Just did my usual. But that included going ahead a bit to pull some the other way. Like if I set w the boat east of the anchor I’d maneuver a bit west of the anchor and pull. But I think I did or tried to do that w the rode quite tight. Then the anchor was pretty much straight down. Next time I’ll let out some line and get well “west” of the anchor.
But also Peter by that time I’d been pulling up on it and the anchor probably was at 45 degrees or so. With that attitude (45 degrees) the shackle probably couldn’t run “down” the slot.
Perhaps w the SARCA retrieving probably should be usually done in the opposite direction as setting. Thereby always having the shackle run the slot to the rear end of the anchor. Also when the shank is under/in the seafloor the shackle may only rarely “run the slot. Slot Sliding may not happen w the shackle and slot submerged. Hann’t thought about that before. The slot is a big advantage but not as easily used as I had thought. Of course if I had pulled the other way it may have come right out. But this time I dropped the ball not even thinking about the slot.
I wonder too if I had a 15lb SARCA if it would pull much more easily. But the obvious is that it may pull out on a windy night more easily too. I’ve anchored twice in 50 knots of wind and not pulled out. One of those times was w the anchor in post #25. The roll bar is different but the fluke on the SARCA is much the same. That XYZ fluke is even convex though not as much as the SARCA.
I like the slot but obviously need to learn how to use it effectively. That would include thinking about it when it’s time .. duh.

Also now that I think about it the slot may have played an important part in the weird thing that happened with my “pile of rode” initial set attempt. If the rode wrapped around the shank perhaps the shackle was trapped at the rear end of the anchor. Hmmm.

Ranger,
Yes I would think setting anchors in sand would be easy and dependably so.

Bruce,
Yes that’s what this anchor does best is set. As long as the boater isn’t doing dumb stuff.

Last edited:
Eric, your experience matches that of mine with the Sarca Excel. It sets fast and easy. After a night anchored with wind, it does get buried deep and takes some patience to retrieve. I do what Bruce described, drop the anchor and then lay out the rode on the bottom as drifting or backing up slowly. Then snub the chain and back down on it at idle (600rpm with a 390HP engine).

I have a confession.
I can’t believe I did but the slot didn’t even occur to me on retrieval. Diddn’t even think about it.
Just did my usual. But that included going ahead a bit to pull some the other way. Like if I set w the boat east of the anchor I’d maneuver a bit west of the anchor and pull.
Perhaps w the SARCA retrieving probably should be usually done in the opposite direction as setting. Thereby always having the shackle run the slot to the rear end of the anchor.

Dave Hays said,
I do what Bruce described, drop the anchor and then lay out the rode on the bottom as drifting or backing up slowly. Then snub the chain and back down on it at idle (600rpm with a 390HP engine).

Actually, Dave, I think it was me that advised that setting method to Eric, but yes, that is the way to go with Sarcas, and I'm sure Bruce would agree.

Another yes to Eric, that if you want to use the slot to retrieve more easily when buried, you must motor up to the anchor from the direction of the set, (not from the side or the opposite direction, so you need a new mind set there), so aligned with the shank as far as possible, then once above the anchor, don't start the lift until you have taken most of the slack out of the rode, then motor gently forward as you start the lift. Usually works a treat. :)

Last edited:
Actually, Dave, I think it was me that advised that setting method to Eric, but yes, that is the way to go with Sarcas, and I'm sure Bruce would agree.

Another yes to Eric, that if you want to use the slot to retrieve more easily when buried, you must motor up to the anchor from the direction of the set, (not from the side or the opposite direction, so you need a new mind set there), so aligned with the shank as far as possible, then once above the anchor, don't start the lift until you have taken most of the slack out of the rode, then motor gently forward as you start the lift. Usually works a treat. :)
Agreed indeed. I like to "test" the set with some reverse power, not a lot, maybe loading the set up twice (in my conservatism), depending on conditions. As to retrieving in the same lie as the set, I`ve not considered that,I`ve probably done it and not done it, never had a problem breaking out. We always motor up to "vertical chain",retrieving as we do it. We have a powerful older Muir windlass,with a 1200 watt replacement motor in it,could have something to do with it.
I confess we`ve not anchored a lot recently, fortune has been smiling on us with National Parks free remote location moorings; last weekend we were in Pinta Bay (off Jerusalem Bay where the seaplane crashed a year+ ago)one of the finest locations in the Hawkesbury system. We sandwiched a weekend cruise between 2 weather systems, fortunately the forecast held good. Those who know Pinta will appreciate that getting a mooring there repeatedly as we have,(it is difficult to anchor due to space and depth, is like winning the lottery.
Keep working with the Sarcas Eric,I`m keen to hear how it goes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom