Old 06-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #1

City: Toronto
Vessel Name: Awelon-Y-Mor
Vessel Model: North Pacific Trawler 43
Toronto to Ottawa and or Montreal

Hello
We are planning a trip on the Rideau for the month of August. Cruising from Toronto/Coburg/Kingston and into the Rideau system to Ottawa. We have been to Georgian Bay via the Trent system so are prepared for locks/locks and more locks. Wondering if we have time to travel from Ottawa to Montreal and then up the St Lawrence back to Toronto? Any insight would be appreciated.
Northern Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #2
FF
Guru

The locks on the Rideau are unique , as you simply pass a line to a waiting on shore helper , fore & aft , who will pass it behind a cable and give it back to you.

AS the boats usually move from lock to lock ,individually but as a group, you will have the same position in each lock , so it becomes very quick and easy.

What is unusual is when the lock is full of water the canal edge will be about 6 inches above the water. Plan on fenders for this condition .

During the Canada mid summer celebration , it gets crowded!!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
Hello
We are planning a trip on the Rideau for the month of August. Cruising from Toronto/Coburg/Kingston and into the Rideau system to Ottawa. We have been to Georgian Bay via the Trent system so are prepared for locks/locks and more locks. Wondering if we have time to travel from Ottawa to Montreal and then up the St Lawrence back to Toronto? Any insight would be appreciated.
A month should be fine. Check out the dates of the Quebec construction holiday (end of July-early August) as Rideau is very busy then.
To make better time in the St. Lawrence, consider doing the triangle loop counterclockwise. The current in the Ottawa River is much less (1-2knts). Biggest problem is there is so much to do in the Eastern end of Lake Ontario both on Canadian & US sides plus the 1000 Islands, you risk deciding to put the triangle off till next year!
Old 06-28-2019, 07:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The locks on the Rideau are unique , as you simply pass a line to a waiting on shore helper , fore & aft , who will pass it behind a cable and give it back to you.

AS the boats usually move from lock to lock ,individually but as a group, you will have the same position in each lock , so it becomes very quick and easy.

What is unusual is when the lock is full of water the canal edge will be about 6 inches above the water. Plan on fenders for this condition .

During the Canada mid summer celebration , it gets crowded!!
Depends if you are going up or down the lock, when you are going up you are alone.

From Ottawa to Montreal count 2 days if going trawlers speed (7/8 knots). One advice, especially july/august, if you want to be sure to lock through Ottawa, move your boat to the blue line in the middle of the night and sleep there so you have your spot.

If you have the time for it try not to just lock through the rideau and take the time to explore, you have a lot of treasury to be discovered there. You can easily spend a month just on the rideau and still you won't see everything.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
St. Lawrence locks are large but not particularly difficult.
Wait times can be troublesome. I understand but haven't confirmed they now try to schedule an AM and PM recreational lock thru... worth checking out and being there and ready. Commercial traffic get preference and they won't mix recreational and commercial in a lock. Otherwise 5+ hr waits are not unheard of.
Old town Montreal is great but requires a lock down and back up if doing the triangle loop.

Agree w Lou.... don't rush the Rideau... lots to see and enjoy along the way.

Another possibility would be to focus on Rideau vs a loop and by backtracking you get to explore different towns, licks and anchorages on the return.
Next yr/cruise do 1,000 Is, St Lawrence to/past Montreal then S to Lk Champlain and NY Champlain, Erie & Oswego back to Lk Ont.
So many possibilities and so little time...
Take time to smell the roses no matter where you go.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Guru

City: Vermont
I have to believe that Ottawa to Montreal to Kingston will take just as long as back-tracking through the Rideau. Maybe even less time. So I would probably do the triangle.

Which direction to loop is a bit harder call. Either way you will be going against the current somewhere, and not other places. If looping down the St Lawrence will put you on the Rideau further after the construction holiday, I'd do that. Personally I would do everything possible to avoid the Rideau then, but that's me because I don't like crowds.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:12 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
I have to believe that Ottawa to Montreal to Kingston will take just as long as back-tracking through the Rideau. Maybe even less time. So I would probably do the triangle.

Which direction to loop is a bit harder call. Either way you will be going against the current somewhere, and not other places. If looping down the St Lawrence will put you on the Rideau further after the construction holiday, I'd do that. Personally I would do everything possible to avoid the Rideau then, but that's me because I don't like crowds.
Agree completely!
My point wasn't about saving time it was about enjoying what the Rideau has to offer w different stops / anchorages each way. You certainly can run the St Lawrence fast if you want or need to just get someplace.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rideau/st lawrence