Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #141
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
RE: Too much anchor

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Maybe they looked at their Bruce, measured the wind, and ran the boats aground just to be on the safe side. :-)
* * * ** :teevee:

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #142
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40"></td></tr></tbody></table>

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #143
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Too much anchor

Here's the trawler Ark (documentation no. 980719).* Noah wisely chose a Bruce.**
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">

</td><td width="40">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 04:02:27 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM   #144

Good day, again.

I thought I ought to clarify my comment on not liking trip release. My reasoning is, basically I do not need one. My understanding from the literature is that trip release will only work if you intentionally try to trip them, which I think means you need to shorten the scope up, my belief is its a boat and in theory it should work in practice but in practice there might be something wrong with the thoery. But having said that I live in the land of SARCA and have never heard of anyone accidentally tripping his SARCA (and there would a most vociferous lobby if this was a real problem, Australians can be just as vocal as people on, say, the Trawler Forum!). I have tried 'testing' the trip release of a SARCA, small SARCA, bigger boat - but that might not be the same as using it, night after night.

I confess that we use a gal SARCA Excel, a completely different design and not to be confused with the Super SARCA. Its the best thing since the chartplotter (to get away from simple things like sliced bread). I am sure there are anchors that are as good - but here, with our supply base I would not change it. But never say never, new designs come out, old ones are revamped and if I find a better one I'll change. The cost of an anchor is simply insignificant given its benefits, a $1,000 anchor over a couple of years works out at $1-$2 a night - seems cheap security to me. Though why anyone would spend the same sort of money for an anchor that has only half the holding capacity or collects mud or needs major modification to fit the bow roller or is made by people with dubious backgrounds beggars belief. Equally how people can be so critical of a design they have never used, or even seen, and simultaneously professing to be experts might raise questions over their affiliations. The Excel works in all the seabed types we encounter, sand, mud, medium weed (cannot cope with kelp) gravel and rubbly bottoms and it comes up clean. It copes with a change of setting direction, whether 90 or 180 degrees. It also fits our bow roller, without modification and I suspect will fit any normal bow roller. We cruise down Tasmania's west coast, which can be character building at times. I could equally be praiseworthy of the Spade, but its not available here, is very expensive wherever it is available and does not have the Excel's high strength shank. I'm sorry the Excel is not available to those of you in N America, or Europe - no wonder they call Australia the lucky country! - must be really galling for those in another of the ex-colonies.

And I have no affiliations or interest in Anchor Right, Spade (except to support their successful products) nor any other anchor maker.

Have a great day!
Djbangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #145
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
Here's the trawler Ark (documentation no. 980719).* Noah wisely chose a Bruce.**
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">

</td><td width="40">

</td></tr></tbody></table>

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 28th of February 2012 04:02:27 PM
* * * ** I love the lines of this boat!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #146
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Jon,
i see you are a Sydney sider and you state you cruise down to Tassie.
I have yet to head south and as you say it can be character building.
Would like to get your view on stop over anchorages especially once you get south of Jarvis Bay.
I know Lakes Entrance is doable but it looks like one could get traped in there and miss a weather window.

Like you I have a SARCA Excel on the pointy end.
Welcome on board by the way.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #147

Happy to fill in, our experiances, but is it too focussed (niche, way out)*for an international audience and would the majority prefer it was done by PM.* I'm not sure of etiquette on this site.

But the anchorages have varied bottoms, weed, sand, big pebbles and rocks, horrible tides - so if they do not mind, they might find it of interest (but Tasmania is pretty 'off piste').

Djbangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #148
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Interesting thread going on here. I won't speak for the new owner of the board, but only what I, as a mod, think about the aspects mentioned above.

I think there needs to be a distinction between coming onto this forum and blatantly selling versus coming and discussing your product. Understandably, there is a lot of gray matter there and it's subject to a lot of interpretation. A retailer or manufacturer must know that in this age of the interweb tubes, their designs, product, and even corporate philosophy will be scrutinized, dissected, and discussed. They need to be able to defend it (and should) when it comes under fire, because no matter what... it will.

That said, this forum is the perfect place for that. Where else would a manufacturer want to get exposure about, in this case and anchor, a boating product than here? This is their DIRECT target market. However, they need to be ready for the scrutiny that will surely follow. And to specifically address Marin and Rex's discussion, I don't feel like it was anything but Marin challenging the claims of the slotted shank of the SARCA and Rex defending them. Marin is a reputable contributor to this forum and has been nothing short of courteous in most, if not all his posts (albeit a tad "wordy" :-D ).

I certainly understand how Rex feels though. And if I might say that I would like to thank him for joining Trawler Forum and HOPE he doesn't leave. Regardless of what a few members believe, there are others that have a different opinion. I am fairly sure that someone that designs and sells anchors has spent a LONG time around boats and could be an outstanding contributor to this forum.

Finally, I will never understand why, of all the systems and hardware on a boat, ANCHORS provide the most passionate debates. "I love this... Yours must totally, like, suck... Yo' Momma a Bruce and yo' daddy used a CQR." Indeed, that's why we broke out the topic to its own forum. Anchor manufacture's MUST know this and the smart ones capitalize on it, but in the context of The Trawler Forums (less the OTDE section), we are all friends here. We do not want to scare anyone away, nor should any member be discouraged by the opinions of a few (or one). If I had ONE wish, it would be that we could ALL be transported to the same place for a few hours. I REALLY want to meet all of you guys. Unfortunately, it's likely that most of our paths will never cross and this little window on my coffee table will be the only interaction I'll ever have with y'all. It'll have to do.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #149
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

.......and ...for God's sake don't let this thread die until Nomadwilly (Eric) gets back on line....
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #150
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
Anode wrote:
.......and ...for God's sake don't let this thread die until Nomadwilly (Eric) gets back on line....
Eric must still be off doing his secret speed trials. (Caught in action in Healhustler's recent spy photo).

[img]../../download.spark?ID=1091454&aBID=115492[/img]
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #151
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:

Finally, I will never understand why, of all the systems and hardware on a boat, ANCHORS provide the most passionate debates.
I think it's because it's one very obvious and visible thing on a boat that reflects the owner's beliefs (assuming they picked the anchor on their boat).* So if someone says the anchor design they favor isn't worth squat, that's like saying to the owner "You don't know squat because you picked a stupid anchor."

So defending your anchor is, in effect, defending your intelligence, smarts, competence, etc.

It's a little silly because in reality, almost all anchor designs will work fine in almsot all of the situations we encounter as recreational boaters.*

The other reality is that under extreme conditions, I think the liklihood that most if not all anchor designs will fail or have problems is greater than the liklihood that they won't.* But how many of us on this forum are going to be caught in an open, exposed anchorage in the southwestern Pacific in 80mph winds gusting to 100 with the associated swells and waves?

So we buy anchors like we buy cars.* It's all very nice to buy an Aston Martin penis extender based on the fact it will do 212 mph but when the reality is that you're going to drive it on your daily commute at an average speed of 35 mph, all that performance is sort of irrlevant.

But you will defend that Aston Martin to the hilt because, hey, it will do 212 mph.

We bougth the anchor we bought based on testimonials that were mostly from long range cruisers who actually do encounter the kinds of conditions that we will never encouter.* So it's our Aston Martin. A Ford Focus would probably suit us just fine most of the time.* It's unlikely that we will ever go 212 mph, but it's cool to know we can.* And we'll defend our choice because it represents who we are.

That's my theory on your query, anyway.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #152
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Ok smarty-pants--- How come then, you can say "penis" but I get my tw@t out of saltw@ter? :-D
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #153
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:

Anode wrote:
Eric must still be off doing his secret speed trials. (Caught in action in Healhustler's recent spy photo).

Too Funny!!!####Yo' Momma a Bruce and yo' daddy used a CQR."Also too funny!!!
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:55 AM   #154
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:Anode wrote:

*Eric will be back when he figures out how to stop this thing!
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #155
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:Anode wrote:

*Eric will be back when he figures out how to stop this thing!

*Couple of big anchors and 500' of heavy duty bungee cord.

May not stop it but it will make a great show.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #156
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Yeah....Eric is going to be really p****d he missed this thread if he does not latch on soon...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #157
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Alas, poor Eric. *He always wanted to go fast. *When he lost the steering on Nomadilly, it caused a little havoc in the marina.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #158
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
GonzoF1 wrote:
Ok smarty-pants--- How come then, you can say "penis" but I get my tw@t out of saltw@ter? :-D
*I dunno.* It's your forum.* Fix it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #159
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42

Djbangi (Jon)
Re:
Happy to fill in, our experiances, but is it too focussed (niche, way out) for an international audience and would the majority prefer it was done by PM. I'm not sure of etiquette on this site.

But the anchorages have varied bottoms, weed, sand, big pebbles and rocks, horrible tides - so if they do not mind, they might find it of interest (but Tasmania is pretty 'off piste').

I'm in the Gippsland Lakes, yet to venture across the Lakes Entrance bar but with aspirations to go to Tassie and north up the east coast and like Tidahapah (Benn) am very interested in your experiences. Why not start a new thread?
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #160
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Janis,
I had a PM from Jon re this and it was VG.
He is apparently away for a while but I think your suggestion is a good one.

I would probably like to head south at the end of this yhear so that I gbet to Hobart for the wooden boat festival next Feb
Don't know if it will happen but it is a probable.
I can do some thing on the Qld coast stuff having been going up and down for th past 17 years in my own boat plus the last 30 odd on tankers.
I will PM you what Jon sent me.

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote