Too much anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GonzoF1 wrote:

Finally, I will never understand why, of all the systems and hardware on a boat, ANCHORS provide the most passionate debates.
I think it's because it's one very obvious and visible thing on a boat that reflects the owner's beliefs (assuming they picked the anchor on their boat).* So if someone says the anchor design they favor isn't worth squat, that's like saying to the owner "You don't know squat because you picked a stupid anchor."

So defending your anchor is, in effect, defending your intelligence, smarts, competence, etc.

It's a little silly because in reality, almost all anchor designs will work fine in almsot all of the situations we encounter as recreational boaters.*

The other reality is that under extreme conditions, I think the liklihood that most if not all anchor designs will fail or have problems is greater than the liklihood that they won't.* But how many of us on this forum are going to be caught in an open, exposed anchorage in the southwestern Pacific in 80mph winds gusting to 100 with the associated swells and waves?

So we buy anchors like we buy cars.* It's all very nice to buy an Aston Martin penis extender based on the fact it will do 212 mph but when the reality is that you're going to drive it on your daily commute at an average speed of 35 mph, all that performance is sort of irrlevant.

But you will defend that Aston Martin to the hilt because, hey, it will do 212 mph.

We bougth the anchor we bought based on testimonials that were mostly from long range cruisers who actually do encounter the kinds of conditions that we will never encouter.* So it's our Aston Martin. A Ford Focus would probably suit us just fine most of the time.* It's unlikely that we will ever go 212 mph, but it's cool to know we can.* And we'll defend our choice because it represents who we are.

That's my theory on your query, anyway.

Ok smarty-pants--- How come then, you can say "penis" but I get my tw@t out of saltw@ter? :-D

dwhatty wrote:

Anode wrote:
.......and ...for God's sake don't let this thread die until Nomadwilly (Eric) gets back on line....
Eric must still be off doing his secret speed trials. (Caught in action in Healhustler's recent spy photo).

download.spark

Too Funny!!!####Yo' Momma a Bruce and yo' daddy used a CQR."Also too funny!!!

dwhatty wrote:Anode wrote:
.......and ...for God's sake don't let this thread die until Nomadwilly (Eric) gets back on line....
Eric must still be off doing his secret speed trials. (Caught in action in Healhustler's recent spy photo).

download.spark

*Eric will be back when he figures out how to stop this thing!
omg.gif
eyepopping.gif
cowboy.gif

Moonstruck wrote:dwhatty wrote:Anode wrote:

download.spark

*Eric will be back when he figures out how to stop this thing!
omg.gif
eyepopping.gif
cowboy.gif

*Couple of big anchors and 500' of heavy duty bungee cord.

May not stop it but it will make a great show.

Yeah....Eric is going to be really p****d he missed this thread if he does not latch on soon...

Alas, poor Eric. *He always wanted to go fast. *When he lost the steering on Nomadilly, it caused a little havoc in the marina.

boat-crash-415x275.jpg

GonzoF1 wrote:
Ok smarty-pants--- How come then, you can say "penis" but I get my tw@t out of saltw@ter? :-D
*I dunno.* It's your forum.* Fix it.

Djbangi (Jon)
Re:
Happy to fill in, our experiances, but is it too focussed (niche, way out) for an international audience and would the majority prefer it was done by PM. I'm not sure of etiquette on this site.

But the anchorages have varied bottoms, weed, sand, big pebbles and rocks, horrible tides - so if they do not mind, they might find it of interest (but Tasmania is pretty 'off piste').

I'm in the Gippsland Lakes, yet to venture across the Lakes Entrance bar but with aspirations to go to Tassie and north up the east coast and like Tidahapah (Benn) am very interested in your experiences. Why not start a new thread?

Janis,
I had a PM from Jon re this and it was VG.
He is apparently away for a while but I think your suggestion is a good one.

I would probably like to head south at the end of this yhear so that I gbet to Hobart for the wooden boat festival next Feb
Don't know if it will happen but it is a probable.
I can do some thing on the Qld coast stuff having been going up and down for th past 17 years in my own boat plus the last 30 odd on tankers.
I will PM you what Jon sent me.

Benn
Your experiences would be really interesting. Are you planning to stop by Lakes Entrance on your way to Tassie? And thanks for the PM. It was a great writeup by Jon.

Back
Top Bottom