Old 07-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

City: Coastal SC
Vessel Model: Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Is the Tide-Eliminator Ring the most heavy duty of it's ilk ?

www.mooringring.com

There is one other that seems heavier duty but I need one that is hinged so I can affix it to one of the pilings that is covered at the top by the pier.

And true this is not exactly "anchors and anchoring" but didn't know which other forum to use for this.
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
Why are these better or different than tide minders?

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
I tried these:

Home • PILE RING

They do everything the maker says... and they seem to be really well built, strong, etc.

But they didn't work especially well for us on the forward pile. The angle of the dangle -- from bow cleat to water level -- just wasn't right. Too steep, so it was difficult (impossible) to keep the sides of the boat, further astern, from banging into piles on the opposite side.

I also tried mounting above water level, to reduce that angle. (And if water level raised to float the boat higher, the boat would pull the ring higher up the pile.) Worked a little better at rest, but not better enough to continue using them. The "boat pulling the ring higher" wasn't all that great.

Some dock neighbors use Tide Minder balls, and they seem to work OK; the angle to where they hang on the pile is up to the user.

I suspect Tide Slides would be great... but they're pretty proud of their systems.

-Chris
Old 07-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
Why are these better or different than tide minders?

Gordon
They might not be better.....that was the point of this topic, to see what else is out there and I was not aware of Tide Minders. One possible problem I could see with those is seems like situations could arise at lower tides where the line might chafe on the pile barnacles, whereas the one I linked to that wouldn't be an issue. But I could be completely wrong....maybe the Tide Minder would be just fine with heavy barnacled piling.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I tried these:

Home • PILE RING

They do everything the maker says... and they seem to be really well built, strong, etc.
that is the one I was thinking seemed heavier duty....but I can't use it because the top of the piling I want to use is covered by the pier structure.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
They might not be better.....that was the point of this topic, to see what else is out there and I was not aware of Tide Minders. One possible problem I could see with those is seems like situations could arise at lower tides where the line might chafe on the pile barnacles, whereas the one I linked to that wouldn't be an issue. But I could be completely wrong....maybe the Tide Minder would be just fine with heavy barnacled piling.

FWIW, our dock neighbors that use Tide Minders don't let them droop down low enough to where dock barnacles are...

-Chris
Old 07-22-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
The mooring ring that Dune posted about has a couple of advantages over the others shown.

One is portability, that you can take it with you and put around any piling. The other is that it doesn't fit too tightly so wouldn't seem as likely to get hung.

Now, the parts do look a bit more fragile.

Pile Ring is sturdy and seems to work well as long as the piling isn't too large in diameter. Obviously has to fit over the top and drop.

Tideminders can work ok, but what I don't like as well is that they use your mooring line and that makes them tend to bind as you pull. If I was going to use them, I'd put them on a separate line and put a connection ring on it, but just use a short round length of line.

There was a product "Charlie-O-Ring" that looked pretty good but I think they've died.

Sliding rings permanently attached are a good solution if it's at your home. tideslide.com is a product I've seen used.

I think the Tide Eliminator Dune posts about would be interesting and worth a try.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
FWIW, our dock neighbors that use Tide Minders don't let them droop down low enough to where dock barnacles are..
Average 8 foot tide range, so I doubt that would be practical here
Old 12-27-2017, 10:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Gulf Breeze
Vessel Name: Branch Office
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa Mystic 46
Just wondering what you decided to do? I looked at all the tide mooring options and ended up with Slidemoors. had it designed to a cat 3 hurricane with 12 feet of surge plus waves. I am in a protected canal though.
cmgreeniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Any type of thing that sits in the water around here would become a prickly nasty dirty mess of barnacles. Might even slice your lines on the barnacles.

A cheap option is to use an old car tire. Fill it with expanding foam.
You would have to completely fill the interior space or it will fill with mud and critters.

But I will never use one of those.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote