Old 06-24-2016, 08:15 AM   #41
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
I would like to install a salt water washdown on the foredeck, but do not want another thru- hull fitting. Any suggestions out there?
My saltwater washdown pump is fed by the airconditioning water thruhull. Our freshwater lasts a long time, I might look at switching to freshwater, changing the washdown pump supply circuit wouln't be complicated in my case. If I ever went to Bahamas I'd reverse that.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 AM   #42
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would think for those that use fresh water that anchoring every day or couple of days would go through water pretty quick.... yes? No?

I would probably still have both if I had plentry of fresh water unless I had a great water maker and the water is easily replaced.

Otherwise...if just rinsing ever week or so after multiple anchorings...I have an adapter for my transom shower to run a hose forward where a little soap and hot water will cut more salt than 10 just plain cold water. Especially the bottom of the locker where unless you are getting all the salt off as it comes aboard...it will still accumulate.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:46 AM   #43
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would think for those that use fresh water that anchoring every day or couple of days would go through water pretty quick.... yes? No?

I would probably still have both if I had plentry of fresh water unless I had a great water maker and the water is easily replaced.

Otherwise...if just rinsing ever week or so after multiple anchorings...I have an adapter for my transom shower to run a hose forward where a little soap and hot water will cut more salt than 10 just plain cold water. Especially the bottom of the locker where unless you are getting all the salt off as it comes aboard...it will still accumulate.
My boat has a fresh water wash down which is nice. The pressure isn't all that great but it works. It appears that th PO converted it from raw to fresh and I can use raw water to wash down with the opening and closing of a couple valves. I still need to figure it out.

I have 2 x 175 gal fresh water tanks. Even with fresh water flushing of the heads, fairly liberal use of the shower, and hosing down the anchor, we still haven't had to refill our tanks in about 2 1/2 months of weekend use. I will likely do that this weekend.

Your idea of warm water and some soap is interesting. Does it really help that much? Pretty easy to take a bucket of hot water from the cockpit shower forward for those times when water is plentiful.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #44

City: Michigan
Vessel Name: loafs and fishes
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I cut some "Dri Dek" tiles to fit the bottom of my chain locker to help drainage and maybe keep it a bit drier down there.
Great idea, Steve. I will have to do that to my chain locker.
They are my brothers
loafs and fishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #45
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
My boat has a fresh water wash down which is nice. The pressure isn't all that great but it works. It appears that th PO converted it from raw to fresh and I can use raw water to wash down with the opening and closing of a couple valves. I still need to figure it out.

I have 2 x 175 gal fresh water tanks. Even with fresh water flushing of the heads, fairly liberal use of the shower, and hosing down the anchor, we still haven't had to refill our tanks in about 2 1/2 months of weekend use. I will likely do that this weekend.

Your idea of warm water and some soap is interesting. Does it really help that much? Pretty easy to take a bucket of hot water from the cockpit shower forward for those times when water is plentiful.
If water is the universal solvent, hot water seems mo'better....and for salt, a little soap only adds to the cleansing.

For those of us that have salted roads all winter, I used to hose off the car every chance I got. The trouble was, after it did, there was still a salty film. So I would run a hose from the garage deep sink hot water, and almost all the salt would disappear. Use one of those hose sprayers with a couple drops of laundry detergent and the shine would return if I didn't wash off all the wax.

Even an engine flush is supposed to be mediocre at getting all the salt off things once it has dried...thus all the "salt away" type products.

If rinsing the chain as it comes up...fresh water sprayed is probably pretty effective...but the way my bow is set up....salt spray gets into the chain locker sooner or later.

So I just rinse the mud off with raw water (often brackish anyway), then if the chain will sit for weeks or more...it gets pulled out, washed, inspected, touch up galvanize, markers replaced if necessary, and flaked well in the locker after the locker has been rinsed.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 01:15 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancora View Post
I would like to install a salt water washdown on the foredeck, but do not want another thru- hull fitting. Any suggestions out there?
My RW washdown is plumbed via a T on the head RW thru hull. That RW washdown line runs to the bow and to the cockpit for RW washes. The RW washdown pump is controlled by a lighted switch at the lower helm. More than once that light has reminded me that I left the switch on.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #47
Guru

Contacted the windlass manufacturer, and was told 5/16" G4 will fit the wildcat. Went to the chandlery and borrowed a test length they keep on hand and it fit better than the 3/8" BBB we have, so we ordered the 5/16" G4.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #48
Guru

Replaced 220 feet of 3/8" BBB with 150 feet of 5/16" G4 and our boat is no longer "bow down." Amazin' what a difference of 200 odd pounds in the bow will make.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Good news! Another happy ending!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote