Old 03-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Supreme Wack Job

Some grinding took off the roll bar.

When I bought the Supreme it was advertised as a 15lb anchor. It weighed 18lbs. Now it weighs 15lbs. The roll bar was heavier than I though it would be. As a result the CG is considerably lower. The only way one can make it drag is to stand it up vertical and tip it backwards away from the fluke. Very unlikely for the anchor to end up vertical and as soon as one started to back down it would be on it's side. Should work but then it's anchoring and surprises abound.

I have another modification planned that should take the place of the roll bar and force the anchor to orient itself properly. Very little weight and drag.

I want to try it as seen in the pics before further modification. I don't want to add stuff and then want to come back where I was before. I'm going to use the little cable as seen in the last pic to help w the penetration. If it won't penetrate deeper that the stock anchor w the roll bar then my mod is pointless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1850 copy.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	38021

Name:	DSCF1851 copy.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	38022

Name:	DSCF1846 copy.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	38023

Name:	DSCF1848 copy.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	38024

Name:	DSCF1838 copy.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	38025

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Eric: You really should change your forum name to manyanchors.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
OMG, you removed the carry handle.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Eric, you are going to wind up with a Boss.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:16 PM   #5
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Eric: You really should change your forum name to manyanchors.
I've even addressed him "manyanchors" a couple times.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Supreme Wack Job

Maybe I should do that to my little supreme on my dusky, it hasn't been impressing me.. Maybe I need a Rocna...
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:22 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I always like the blue paint job hiding the signs of modification, I call it "Eric`s blue" This time the missing roll bar is a dead giveaway.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #8
Guru

Larry and Mark,
In the past many wanted me to change my forum name back to nomadwilly. I didn't because I had been manyboats for a time and thought that would be confusing. I noticed it was confusing when some had musical avatars. Our names and avatars identify us and IMO a lot of stability is our friend.

"manyanchors? ... I only have 6.

hmason,
The handle could be had cheap.

Moonstruck,
Indeed it does look much like the Boss. And for good reasons. Both are Mansons. And so far all Ive don is remove some of it. I set out to design an anchor that would be better than a roll bar anchor and so did Manson. Or perhaps it was much the same for Anchor Right Australia re the Excel. Both needed an anchor that could perform like a Claw in the bows of boats. Where they would spend 999.9% of their time. Anchor Right and Manson went in different directions. One in the direction of another popular anchor manufacturer (Delta) and built a better plough anchor. That is an assumption as independent anchor testing has not been done .. that I know of. And then testing is just testing .. or somewhere between testing and messing around w anchors. However all reports on the Excel (that I've read) have been very positive. The Boss is an attempt at improving Manson's already very successful scoop anchor and the Vulcan seems headed in the same direction. I have my own ideas and in time you shall see them. But it won't look like a Boss and even less like the Vulcan (on purpose or accidental???) therefore won't be a Boss.

N4712,
Dusky? Wazzzat? I thought you already had a Rocna. And don't try this mod on the Rocna. I think the success of this mod is somewhat to very dependent on the roundness of the bottom of the fluke .. that which the Rocna lacks.

Bruce you mean blue like this?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1848 copy 2.jpg  

Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
"manyanchors? ... I only have 6.
Well 5 3/4 or 5 1/2 now...
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #10
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
On little Oliver I bought a supreme, don't know why I did. Must've been one of those in the moment buys. She has about 5ft of chain and 150' of I don't know what size rode. She seems to like the Bahamian sand but not grass/weed in the keys.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1425829658.135412.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	38055
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Guru

Eric I like the paint job. Now what about drilling a small hole in the rear of the shovel surface for a retrieval line with a small float maybe four feet up. aside from being there to attach a retrieval line it would with the correct floatation help angel the point of the anchor slightly down to help the dig-in angle.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
On little Oliver I bought a supreme, don't know why I did. Must've been one of those in the moment buys. She has about 5ft of chain and 150' of I don't know what size rode. She seems to like the Bahamian sand but not grass/weed in the keys.
Attachment 38055
Why not a Supreme?????...it's as good as any other anchor till someone proves otherwise and it sure has it's list of approvals and accolades....

Probably at the time of purchase it was heaper than many and just as good...so it sounds like a great purchase to me...

And certainly from all the anchor posts and threads you can see that no one has proven hardly anything about anchors....

Keep the roll bar....I think it does it's job just fine without reduction in performance...especially for a boat you probably wont anchor out in a hurricane. Especially something as nice as a Dusky.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
FF
Guru

"And certainly from all the anchor posts and threads you can see that no one has proven hardly anything about anchors.."

Perhaps , but most think this is one area where SIZE DOES COUNT.

No one has yet explained their desire for a watchfob anchor.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
No one has yet explained their desire for a watchfob anchor.
I agree that size very much counts. But for people who haul their anchors by hand size/weight can be detrimental.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:26 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I agree that size very much counts. But for people who haul their anchors by hand size/weight can be detrimental.
If the Fortress anchor commercial proved anything at all it was that size may count smaller was better. All anchors are not created equal and to talk about old heavy iron where size and weight were and are important in the same context as newer light deep digging anchors is not realistic. Yes size and weight does matter but that has to be referenced with which anchor and weather one means size as greater or lesser. There is that thread of evidence that maybe a small deep digger goes deeper and can sustain more pull load than the same larger anchor. Old knowledge also tends to die slow.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #16
Guru

Just like extra chain weight there's no point in carrying anchor weight either.

I'm just a tinkerer but it seems to me I may be able to make the Supreme anchor work as well as it normally does w/o the roll bar. Deeper penetration should result in greater holding power but some holding power should/will be lost because of the loss of the interference drag from the close proximity of the roll bar and the fluke. The idea is that the gain from deeper penetration will be greater than the loss of interplane drag. And then a smaller anchor will indeed hold a bigger boat .... if it works as intended.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:55 AM   #17
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
I gotta say fellows, following the discussions on anchors through this forum is a hoot!! At times I fear leaving the dock for thinking that the anchor issue will keep me up at night.

Such detail on each and every anchor selection. Size, weight, chain vs rope, scope, material, winch or hand over hand, it just blows the mind. Honest to God one becomes penis envie over all the information that flows here.

No intent to offend, rather to registrar that anchoring becomes a challenge thinking of all the anchor marine minutia information digested as the chain rattles over the roller. "Now What?"

Thanks for the chatter, Cheers and carry on,

Al
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"But for people who haul their anchors by hand size/weight can be detrimental."

No question , but this is Trawler Forum, a manual SL 555 is a rare novelty , not sure if there are any Hand over Hand Jobs here.

So if the bow will hold a 45lb or 60lb easily , and the windlass or capstan is properly sized , why this desire for watch fobs?

Less to paint white?

I DO LOVE the modern anchors tho as it makes real anchors CQR or Danforth in heavier sizes quite inexpensive to purchase used.

I would rather ship 3 or 4 "old" style larger anchors than one new $1,000 flyweight!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:48 AM   #19
Guru

Even my little bow will handle a 45lb anchor FF. But I wouldn't burden it w 200lbs of chain. And chain or no chain I ain't hsul'in no 45lb anchor .. actually I could w the small amount of chain I usually use. Hand haul'in from the deep is a whole lot different than just doing the last few feet.

At 15lbs FF my whacked Supreme isn't exactly a flyweight. I'd say normal is only 4 or 5 lbs over that. My Willard was (I believe) originally equipped w a 13lb Danny.

FF says "I would rather ship 3 or 4 "old" style larger anchors than one new $1,000 flyweight" ... I'm think'in that way about cars now. Driving my new "flyweight" Jetta for a few days and then my old 73 Buick is a shock .. a pleasant shock. I'm think'in how great it drives. Then get back into the new Jet car and feel I've died and gone to heaven. Today I'm going to drive the "tweener" .. a 95 Buick.

Al stay tuned ... glad you're having fun.

eyeshulman .. now you're think'in outside the box .. " Now what about drilling a small hole in the rear of the shovel surface for a retrieval line with a small float maybe four feet up. aside from being there to attach a retrieval line it would with the correct floatation help angel the point of the anchor slightly down to help the dig-in angle."
There was an anchor along that line of thinking called the Hydrobubble. It had a large baseball sized plastic air chamber on top of the shank that held the anchor (small SS sheet metal plough) up in the right side up configuration theoretically all the time. Occasionally in anchor tests it surprised everybody and performed well. I'm very sensitive though and think the guys would make fun of me w a balloon lift anchor. I told my wife I posted pics of my wacked Supreme and she said I better be careful .. they may take away my guru status.

Re the Supreme psneeld wrote;
"Probably at the time of purchase it was heaper than many and just as good...so it sounds like a great purchase to me..."
Indeed. More Rocna's are sold and in this case I think it shows the power of advertising. They are not same (in performance) though and for that reason I choose the Supreme. And I do favor dark horses.

I may call this anchor the Supreme Digger.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
FF
Guru

Genuine "Old Style" anchors like a Herrishoff still have a place today , mostly as a rock pick , but a crown lift line line must be used.

The big complaint is that the fluke sticking up can catch a wrap in a tide and upset the anchor.

The "modern" burring anchor solves this problem , but must reset in the tidal condition , usually they do.

The older anchors were considered proper at 10 lbs per ft of LOA.

Yes your 50 ft boat would require a 500 lb anchor , but for overnight in a protected harbor only a 100 or 150 might be deployed.

These usually had a bent pipe on deck (as crane) , were hauled up by the windlass , hooked to the tackle on the crane and swung aboard.

Taking it down was simple and it would stow flat lashed on deck.

The Danforth was the pioneer in light weight anchors a pound a foot , 1/10 of the norm!!

Weight does not work to measure anchor size any more , aluminum or titanium , some of the new flyweights are mere copies of the Danforth , or his competitor the CQR.

AS what gets dragged down and in the bottom counts most,,my system is to use a larger CQR than I would a Danforth.

A Danforth 35H or a 45 CQR , for about the same holding.

Still have that 100lb Herrishoff from my voyaging days , but it does get a bit heavy to drag up on deck these days.