Old 09-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Have never lost one; have recovered dozens. Don't anchor near shipwrecks. Couple who had the slip next to me, fouled an anchor in the Mississippi and couldn't free it. Had to hacksaw the chain.

A 4" grinder with a fiber cutoff disc can be had for around $50. I'm thinking that would be a worthwhile investment as opposed to hacksawing 3/8" chain in an emergency.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I carry one of these on the boat. If the anchor is stuck and there is room you can do some 360s around the anchor to get it free. It works good when fishing.

How To Use An Anchor Retrieval System | Fisherman's Ideal Supply House

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:33 PM   #23
Opu
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside
Vessel Name: Cheers
Vessel Model: Bayliner 32
Near misses

The first time we had trouble raising the anchor was in Pender Harbour (north of Vancouver for you east coasters). When we finally got the anchor clear of the water we found it snagged on a 2" power cable. We tied off the cable, lowered the anchor and dropped the cable back in the drink.

Second time was in Ensenada Harbor (south of San Diego for you north and east coasters). We dragged clear across the harbor before we fetched up against the anchor chain on a freighter. When we finally got the anchor up it had snagged on a hawser used to anchor the moorings in the harbor. Same drill: tie off the hawser, lower the anchor, drop the hawser.

Hope I never have any more of these stories.

--
Dick
Opu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I make these rigs up for customers around here but I hadn't thought of using them for a snagged anchor.

The tournament fishermen use them around here to quickly bring the anchor to the surface and they just drag it behind the boat until they reach the next spot. Just stop the boat and the anchor drops. The trick is to use a big enough ring that it doesn't slide up the shank to the crown. As long as the ring doesn't slide too far up the shank the anchor will self launch. I've only seen it done once but it's a pretty fast way to get the anchor to the surface.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #25
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Up here when you swing on the tide your anchor line can get snagged under things (like large rocks) as you swing around 180 degrees on the tides. Lots of people lose their shrimp pots that way, sinking line is required by law, so it lies on the bottom and snags under as the tide shifts. It can lock up hard enough to pull a #2 buoy under, you just need to come back at low tide to recover it. Bent a Danforth Hi-Tensile anchor bad, gave up on it, then it came free. No idea why... I carry dive gear on board at all times too. Retired fire department rescue diver, took my gear with me :-) I try not to use it.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:25 AM   #26
FF
Guru

I much prefer to anchor out every night than marina.

WE use an anchor ball ,(8 inch in diameter) with a 3/8 like about 40 ft lomg.

A sounding lead is threaded on the line , and can be used in up to 20 ft of water.

I have never lost an anchor , but at times the line tied to the anchor crown has been helpful.

Weather I could have freed the anchor with a few hours of work is immeterial, the trip line works very easily.

In the crowded NE , and even in FL with so many newbees , the location of the ball marks closely the location of the anchor , so is useful to the next folks in the harbor
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
. Also in the coil was another danforth IDENTICAL to mine. So for all the work, I got two anchors back. What are the chances of that???
In Le Marin, Martinique, a crowded anchorage and a hurricane hole, my Rocna was stuck on a 60 kg fisherman's anchor. Took an hour to get both anchors up and utangled. The fishermans anchor had been there so long that the rode had disappeared.

The bottoms in many of the hurricane holes are filled with lost anchors were the rodes separated.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Anyone considering tieing rode to the stern and "powering it out" should read Not Without Hope A true story about a fatal anchoring mishap.
Attached Images

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:47 AM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
In 1998 when we replaced the too-short, rusty chain rode that came with our boat we secured the bitter end of the new chain with a length of line long enough to appear on deck if we deployed all the chain. This gave us a way to cut free of the anchor if necessary.

We came close to doing this once when our anchor dragged when strong winds arrived at 4:00 am, some 12 hours earlier than forecast. My wife was at the helm trying to keep us off the railroad trestle we were being blown onto as I was at the windlass. The windlass was incredibly slow and the wind was winning the battle. When we were just a few yards from the trestle I decided to let the rode run and cut free when the anchor came out of the water. I signaled my wife and she powered up and away from the trestle.

We subsequently replaced both the anchor and the windlass.

With regards to a stuck or hung up anchor, we use a buoyed trip line whenever we think there might be a risk of a foul bottom. We've had to use it a few times and it's always performed as advertised.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	35189  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #30
Guru

Marin, I like that your trip line buoy has a mast on it. I'm guessing it's tall enough to allow you to just reach over and grab it.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Model: 48 foot sailing Yacht
Just a word of caution about trip buoys.

If you, or another boat drifts over the buoy it is not unusual for the buoy and line to snag on the rudder, prop, stern ladder etc. If this happens the anchor is being pulled at 1:1 scope from the crown. It takes very little wind for the anchor to start dragging when it attached like this. Don't ask how I know this

My solution is to incorporate a weak link in the trip line. I use a small cable tie which will break with about 15 kg. If you attach the weak link so that it is 1.5-2 m (5-6 feet) below the surface it always seems to break when needed. If your anchor does get stuck there is enough slack in trip line that you can reach the point prior to the weak link and put as much force on the rope as you like.

As a side benefit if anyone tries to pick up your anchor buoy thinking it is a mooring the line will also snap.
Noelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #32
FF
Guru

So far I have not had to cut loose an anchor , but I am lazy.

I always use an anchor trip line for overnight.

A 3/8 line does well at yanking it back up, and the anchor ball location is good info for the next boats to arrive .
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #33
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Marin,
I also use line at the end of the anchor chain as you do. I use poly line at a length of twice the depth I usually anchor in. My thinking is that if I do have to cut the gear free, the poly line will likely float allowing me to find and retrieve the gear later.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Marin, I like that your trip line buoy has a mast on it. I'm guessing it's tall enough to allow you to just reach over and grab it.
The one in the photo was too short for that. I still had to use a boathook. I made a taller one that I can reach from the foredeck. The float and mast are held upright by a couple of small shaft zincs clamped to the underwater portion of the mast.

But the real purpose of the mast is to make the float easier for other boaters in the anchorage to see.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
My thinking is that if I do have to cut the gear free, the poly line will likely float allowing me to find and retrieve the gear later.
I thought about that but then decided that if I had to cut the rode free I didn't want a length of poly floating at the surface where I or someone else could run over it. My idea is that if I have to cut the rode free I would have the presence of mind to attach one of our oversize fenders to the end of the line. I didn't think of that the night I was about to cut the rode free, so it remains to be seen if I'll have the presence of mind to think of it in the future.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:58 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelex View Post
Just a word of caution about trip buoys.

If you, or another boat drifts over the buoy it is not unusual for the buoy and line to snag on the rudder, prop, stern ladder etc.....My solution is to incorporate a weak link in the trip line. .
Interesting concept. I'll have to think about that. Sounds like it could be a good idea. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
I make these rigs up for customers around here but I hadn't thought of using them for a snagged anchor.

The tournament fishermen use them around here to quickly bring the anchor to the surface and they just drag it behind the boat until they reach the next spot. Just stop the boat and the anchor drops. The trick is to use a big enough ring that it doesn't slide up the shank to the crown. As long as the ring doesn't slide too far up the shank the anchor will self launch. I've only seen it done once but it's a pretty fast way to get the anchor to the surface.

Parks I have one. If the anchor is stuck run the boat in circles while anchor line is pulling. This will usually break the anchor free. I haven't tried it with the new 66 pound anchor. I doubt it would float it.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #38
Guru

Don, You just need a bigger float and I happen to know where you can get one!
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Don, You just need a bigger float and I happen to know where you can get one!
How big is it Parks. I always wanted large balls.
Old 12-08-2014, 05:35 PM   #40
Guru

"How big is it Parks. I always wanted large balls. "

Are we still talking anchors or is this some thread drift?