Stealth anchor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
Wonder what kind of anchor these folks use? 'top secret' stealth boats designed for Navy SEALs that are regularly spotted on Columbia river | Mail Online
OH NO!!! RTF used the A word.
due-date.gif

We know that it is too small, the wrong kind and they don't have enough stealth chain.

Stealth chain? Man, I didn't know it until you mentioned it, but now I NEED some of that! Hopcar, do you carry it?

Matt, Yes we carry stealth chain. It's very light and you can't see it but it's very expensive.

You could stock heaps of it, taking up minimal shelf space. Conventional chain is too heavy.

"Hop-shouldn't cost much to ship though!"
Very cheap to ship. Just as if the box was empty.

"You could stock heaps of it, taking up minimal shelf space."
Very true, we've got miles of it, but since it's not visible, taking inventory is a real struggle.

The only questions I have about these boats are;
Galley up or galley down?
Rocna or delta anchor?
Single or twins?

Prefer:
Galley down (don't disturb the helmsman/lookout).
Claw anchor (totally reliable, so far).
Single engine (economical).

Last edited:
bligh,
Twins or single
Galley wherever
Rocna or Delta

Those aren't keel shaking choices. Ya can't miss.

Actually the TS (twin single) decision does carry weight. It's actually not a TS matter it's a matter of how much overpowered do you want your boat to be and how underloaded you want to run. Since almost all trawler manufacturers used the same damned engine T or S. So your choice is 99% do you want a 120hp boat or a 240hp boat.

If you're a typical TF member you're probably much more concerned w fuel consumption than speed so if you ARE typical I'd recommend a single. Far less underloading. But if you aren't worried about burning 6 to 8 gph get a twin. The twin screw boat is by far the best arrangement.

Generally you should have more choices. Consider the GB 36.
A. Twins ... two 60hp engines or two 120hp engines
B. Single ... One 120hp engine or one 240hp engine.

In other words you should be able to chose how much power you want on the boat AND how many screws. If you get off running at 6 knots AND having the capability of going faster perhaps three screws would be best. On our 36GB that would be 3 40hp engines or 3 80hp engines. But ideally how many screws you have should be independent from how much power you have.

This post illustrates one of the huge advantages a custom build has. In the trawler market of the 70s. With the GB36 if you wanted a 120hp twin or a 240hp single you were just plain SOL.

Last edited:
bligh,
Twins or single
Galley wherever
Rocna or Delta

Those aren't keel shaking choices. Ya can't miss.

Actually the TS (twin single) decision does carry weight. It's actually not a TS matter it's a matter of how much overpowered do you want your boat to be and how underloaded you want to run. Since almost all trawler manufacturers used the same damned engine T or S. So your choice is 99% do you want a 120hp boat or a 240hp boat.

If you're a typical TF member you're probably much more concerned w fuel consumption than speed so if you ARE typical I'd recommend a single. Far less underloading. But if you aren't worried about burning 6 to 8 gph get a twin. The twin screw boat is by far the best arrangement.

Generally you should have more choices. Consider the GB 36.
A. Twins ... two 60hp engines or two 120hp engines
B. Single ... One 120hp engine or one 240hp engine.

In other words you should be able to chose how much power you want on the boat AND how many screws. If you get off running at 6 knots AND having the capability of going faster perhaps three screws would be best. On our 36GB that would be 3 40hp engines or 3 80hp engines. But ideally how many screws you have should be independent from how much power you have.

This post illustrates one of the huge advantages a custom build has. In the trawler market of the 70s. With the GB36 if you wanted a 120hp twin or a 240hp single you were just plain SOL.

Eric thanks for the kind and informative reply, but I think you missed something earlier in the thread.

If they carried an anchor, and used it, wouldn't they have to display a regulation anchor light? And wouldn't that light mostly negate the purpose of being stealth? For that purpose, I doubt they have regulation running lights at all.

Back
Top Bottom