Old 12-31-2018, 12:09 PM   #1

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Rain Dog
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Source for G70

Has anyone bought Galvanized G-70 short-link?

I notice West Marine sells it, but they do not specify the manufacturer. I don't see any other source for it in the US.

Specifically, I would like to know what manufacturers make it in the US and if anyone has experience with the product.

From searching earlier threads it seems like it is rare. Peerless seems to make it, but it is only available in Europe according to their website.
Rain Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I have read that the issue is the high alloy steel is affected by galvanizing, dropping it out of the G70 spec. which limits the market as it is no longer legal as transport chain. I suppose you could buy G70 plated and have it galvanized.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

I wrote West Marine and they said the G-70 they sell is ACCO, so I guess their website is out of date.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
How are West Marines costs? If you can find another supplier, they may price match.

What would be the cost for a new windlass gypsy? Then you can pick a more standard anchor chain.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
How are West Marines costs? If you can find another supplier, they may price match.

What would be the cost for a new windlass gypsy? Then you can pick a more standard anchor chain.
A new Gypsy might be the best option. Partially because I am confused what would work on my current one.

The Windlass is an Ideal BHW. The windlass is oversized for my 36,000 lb boat, which is good. However, it is currently loaded with 5/16 BBB chain, which at 1900 MWL is undersized for my boat IMO. I was looking at 5/16 G70 short link because it is within 1% of the size of my current chain, so I was pretty sure it would work on my gypsy. It is listed at $6.50/ft on West Marine. MWL is 4700 lbs, which is about what I would like.

However, we just finished cleaning the gypsy and uncovered an etching on the gypsy that says "3/8 BBB". So now I am wondering if the current chain is the wrong size for the gypsy. 3/8 BBB and 3/8 G4 are about the same price as the 5/16 G70. So either way, I would spend about the same on chain. 3/8 BBB is still rated lower than I like (2,650) but would be adequate. 3/8 G4 would be my first choice but will add the cost of a new Gypsy to the total.

I think I will start by getting 10' of 3/8 BBB and verify that it works with the gypsy. Seems unlikely that 5/16 and 3/8 would both work well since one is 11 links per foot and the other 12.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Being curious I was looking at the ACCO site and found G70 in Hot Dip Galvanize coating.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/produc...G70-ISO-Chain/
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Being curious I was looking at the ACCO site and found G70 in Hot Dip Galvanize coating.

https://www.peerlesschain.com/produc...G70-ISO-Chain/
That is not the "short link". The short link has almost the same link length as BBB, so I am hoping will make an adequate substitute.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #8

City: Camarillo
Source for Chain -- i use these guys

Source for Chain -- i use these guys

1st Chain Supply Co.

797 West Commercial Ave
Lowell, IN. 46356

1-800-523-2367

e-mail: sales@firstchain.com

they have a web site, so check out their pricing first.

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/

all they do is chain !

good luck.

Alfa Mike
alfamike is offline   Reply With Quote