Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Sorry, but I have an anchoring question...

The photo is of the float I made for our anchor trip line. We use it about half the time up here because of the nature of some of the bottoms. But we don't use it because we want to know where the anchor is. We've never had an instance where either hauling in some chain and letting the weight of the chain still in the water pull the boat forward, or if there is wind or current, simply powering the boat in the direction the chain is angling out from the bow roller, has not put us directly over the anchor. We use the line and float as a trip line to pull the anchor out backwards if necessary. We've never had the line get fouled on anything but we don't have stabilizers halfway back on the boat, either, not that we let the trip line get back there but I can see how it could.

As to breaking the anchor out with the boat's motion, that works if the boat has motion. On the times it doesn't we'll take up a little tension with the windlass and then see if the slight "bounce back" of the boat will work the anchor free. If it doesn't then we attach our heavy setting line to a deck cleat with the chain hook on the rode, slack off the windlass, and give the boat a shot of reverse to pull the anchor out.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 15th of November 2010 02:05:25 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1000609.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	3483  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #42
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
RE: Sorry, but I have an anchoring question...

Eric,
The running float is a large bouy on about a meter of s/s chain (not too heavy) with a large approx 4" dia s/s ring that the anchor rode goes thru.
When at anchor the float is on the water at the bow.
As you steam away it tries to go down the rode and thus breaks away the anchor from the bottom and then slides llk the way down to the anchor to bringing it to the surface as you keep steaming and floats it for easy retrival.

Hope that is clear enough.
Benn

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
Sorry, but I have an anchoring question...

The problem I see with securing the rode to the fluke end of the anchor and then attaching it to the "correct" end of the shank with light line or something breakable is if the weather kicks up enough to put a sufficient strain on the rode the light stuff will break and the boat will pull the anchor out of the bottom right a time when you really want it to stay there. I guess if you know there will be no weather-induced pull on your anchor and you're primarily concerned with it getting hung up on something on the bottom that method is okay. But I sure wouldn't want to go to bed or anchor overnight using this method when there was any sort of a risk of developing conditions putting a strain on that light line or wire tie or whatever that's the only thing keeping the anchor set.

Better, to my way of thinking, to use a trip line if one is in doubt about getting the anchor out of the bottom than to trust the security of the boat to a hand-grenade pin, so to speak.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 15th of November 2010 04:31:12 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #44
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Tidahapah wrote:
Eric,
The running float is a large bouy on about a meter of s/s chain (not too heavy) with a large approx 4" dia s/s ring that the anchor rode goes thru.
When at anchor the float is on the water at the bow.
As you steam away it tries to go down the rode and thus breaks away the anchor from the bottom and then slides llk the way down to the anchor to bringing it to the surface as you keep steaming and floats it for easy retrival.

The fish camp I go to in SE Alaska use this method all the time. You have to see it
to really understand how well it works. Once they (the float) breaks the anchor
loose, the skipper just keeps going while he's reeling in the anchor. At an angle, of
course, so as not to foul the prop. It happens so fast (pulling the anchor) that it's
really hard to believe. Anchor Pullers - The Best Way to Retrieve Your Anchor

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:17 PM   #45
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Marin,
The reef anchor caper i mostly only use when I am fishing in deep water and rocky reef.
It is not usually an overnight thing but usually if it is we are out in wide open water where a bit of drift won't affect us to much.
These times I am usually up and about a fair bit.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #46
FF
Guru

TO me the best use for the float is as a fouled anchor trip line ,

second use is the other boaters know where your ground tackle is set.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote