Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #21
Guru

City: gulf coast
Windlass control at the helm is perfect. I'm not a fan of walking around on deck when alone and the boat is not yet anchored. I know it is done.

bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #22

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
I have been using the app Drag Queen and go to the bow to drop the anchor to acquire the position for the app, then return to the bow to perform the wash down upon pulling anchor ( which is the only disadvantage I regularly find to all chain). I too would like to have a wireless remote.

Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Hello Electro.

I have a hard-wired remote. When underway it hangs inside my forward hatch -- easy to access from the forward deck. Yes, I've got the switch there at the helm, but prefer to be on the bow for the procedure.

Ditto retrieval. The anchor snubber line is attached to a bucket for washing mud/sand off the chain as I bring in the chain.

This last time I was at the dock I painted the first three feet of chain white so I know when it's almost up.

And yes, I'm a soloist. When I've cruised the selected area (back and forth to make sure there are no obstructions using my depth sounder as a check) I'll head into the wind/current and take her out of gear. When forward momentum ceases I quickly jot down the coordinates and then go to the bow for deployment.

Simple. As she drifts back I'll let her "catch" the bottom. Once she's at 4 to 1 I cleat the chain off to the samson post before heading back to the helm.

Next, putting her into reverse allows me to confirm I've got a good hold. Then add the snubber and call it good. At that point I'm around 5 or 7 to 1 and that works for me.

I'm certain folks deploy and retrieve from their controls. I don't.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I thought long and hard about my anchoring gear before I purchased and installed the windlass, controls, anchor roller, ground tackle and washdown.

I installed a self-deploying anchor roller so there is no need for me to go to the bow to deploy the anchor once the safety tether is removed. My windlass powers down and up....no free fall. Once I reach my chosen spot, typically driven at the lower helm, I press and hold the down side of the rocker switch and watch the anchor drop on the fish finder. My rode is clearly marked every 30 feet so I know just how much is played out. Once the anchor is on the bottom, I reverse slowly to lay the rode on the bottom in a line, rather that a pile.

My horizontal windlass will handle chain and line seamlessly. I have a hardwired control at the lower helm and a wireless remote for use anywhere in the boat. The remote goes with me to the bow if an anchor wash is needed. It's also used from the FB helm during warm summer months when I drive from 'up top'.

How do I know if a washdown is needed? When I start to see dirty water or mud splashing on the top of my stainless anchor platform/windlass, a washdown is needed. I installed a washdown and spray nozzle on the bow in a recessed can. I can wash with one hand while I hold the remote button with the other. This DOES require me to set my beer down as I only have 2 hands.

When retrieving the anchor, I don't try to move the boat with the windlass. I drive the boat to the anchor. I do this in short burst of idle fwd, then take up the slack with the windlass. If the windlass starts to slow from the strain of the rode, I stop retrieving and move the boat closer to the anchor. It's a coordinated dance between engine(s) and windlass that becomes second nature after some practice.

If someone is onboard and they want to help, I hand them the washdown hose and let them spray the anchor, whether it needs it or not. It makes them feel like they're helping!

I used to have a PowerWinch that could only handle line when tension was held on a line wrapped about the capstan. I hated that thing and found it aggravating, messy and stressful. It would dump the rode, chain and mud on the foredeck and I had no washdown! I used to dread pulling anchor to find a different fishing spot. Now it's about as complicated as getting another beer from the fridge.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #25
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
To my chagrin, the last time I hauled in the anchor (sounds difficult, doesn't it?) ...
Reality: pushed the "Up" button on the windlass remote.

Anyway, the black roller has worn and now the chain will "catch" in it. Another thing to replace in all that spare time with all that extra $$ I have misplaced.

I did not know the rubber part would wear out but mine has. Not sure the age of it -- but nothing is new on this boat..... Anyway, I suspect mine was "going" but it wasn't anything I'd ever checked or noticed.

Just a head's up, in case you're relying on yours as I did mine. I'm temporarily back at a dock for the next stage of the engine swap so timing is okay. Any advice for the material that needs to be up there for the roller part?
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
Flywright, great idea to follow the anchor down with the fish finder. I need to try that. Thanks for the tip!
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: La Petite Mort
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerh View Post
Flywright, great idea to follow the anchor down with the fish finder. I need to try that. Thanks for the tip!
X2
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Any recommendation for wireless anchor remote brands ???
Old 07-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #29

City: Alaska
Vessel Name: Nimbus
Vessel Model: Californian
learn to do it alone... best done with someone on board to help you in case of a problem... and yes, put a switch near the controls so you can maneuver the boat out of harm if need be while setting or pulling the anchor...

get out there and try... best way to learn...
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Old 07-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro View Post
Any recommendation for wireless anchor remote brands ???
Mine is a Lewmar.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #32
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Al, you've been hiding that from me.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #33
TF Site Team

Yes, Mark. There are a few gizmos and gadgets on FlyWright I don't let some people touch!

Seriously, it's always been there at the lower helm near the base of the radar...probably lost in the mess when you were aboard last.

Got a new dinghy mount solution I'll post about soon on a separate thread.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

you have a model # on that bad mamajamma ?
Old 07-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #35
TF Site Team

I'd recommend Google. Mine might be an old model.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:22 PM   #36
Veteran Member

googlefoo grasshopper
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #37

City: Eastern KY
Hi everyone, new guy here. I searched wireless engine controls and it sent me here. So while not exactly on topic, not completely off target either. I have begun my search/research for a boat (I'm about 3 years out) and since I have been told I'm difficult to live with (really...I don't see it) I anticipate quite a bit of solo travel. My question is if anyone has any experience with wireless engine controls. It seems like they would make docking/locking/anchoring easier for the solo types. Not really looking for gadgets, just reliable tools to make the job safer. Thanks for the input.
P.S. I'm looking at the Great Harbour N series if anyone has specific experience with wireless on one of these.
Notlandlockedforlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: West River, MD
Vessel Name: Little Wing
Vessel Model: Camano 31
I anchor out alone quite often. I really like inside helm windlass control which makes it quite easy
evansrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:07 PM   #39

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH: on order
Notlong, a recent post came up about this last week, and there were links to various wireless engine controls. I also travel and anchor solo sometimes, so I started thinking about these as well. I have been talking to "yacht controller", out of FL for the past week. There are various manufacturers, but I am currently leaning towards this one. Having newer engines (electronic controls they can tie in to) and other factors need to be considered.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM   #40
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
It's hard not to dump your rode right on top of the anchor fouling it easily.

Also it's hard to come up on your anchor to weigh the anchor if the wind is blowing .. w/o using your winch to do it. Most here say that's a no no.

Once the anchor is free you're adrift and vulnerable unless you've got lots of room.

Just a few thoughts in a few minutes.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote