Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #41
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David O View Post
So, when with the line part of the rode is in the windlass, should I be using a snubber of some sort to relieve stress on the windlass? I don't see anyone using a snubber while using a line rode.
I just cleat off the line rode & don't bother with a snubber.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #42
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:13 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
When using rope and chain combo and you have let out all chain and the anchor rope is over the bow roller is it best to use a smaller line with a rolling hitch attached to the anchor line and cleat off ? Is there a brand of hook that works with chain and rope? How long should the smaller line be ? Does it need to extend over the bow roller ?
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #44
TF Site Team

Sorry didn't mean to use the term rope . I meant line . I know that's a no no
Old 02-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Stay "in formation," Pack Mule.

If you let out a fair amount of nylon rode (at least as long as a snubber), you won't need a snubber if the line is tied to a bollard or cleat. The nylon rode should be aligned to minimize chafe while holding the boat's bow in the desired direction. You may be "over thinking" the problem.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #46
TF Site Team

If all your chain is out, can you cleat off the line? That's what I do after letting out 120 ft of chain. I haven't found the need to use a smaller line snubber on the line portion of my rode.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 AM   #47
FF
Guru

>The only operational disadvantage I can see is if one is likely to be caught in really strong winds<

So the fun of scrubbing it clean of all the mud is part of a fitness program?

Every AM with a scrub brush , a powerful deck wash pump , and muddy water blasting into the breeze , could be an operational disadvantage to many. I am way too lazy , and the bride would MUTINY !

When too lazy to change out a too heavy nylon anchor rode 25 ft of 3/8 tied on 20 ft out with a rolling hitch can add a bit of spring in light chop.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:20 AM   #48
TF Site Team

My potential problem is I may not have enough room between my windlass base
and my anchor roller base for a decent size cleat . Could be a real knuckle buster . I was think of using a pad eye with heavy backing plate with line attached and used like a snubber.I think I need at least a 10 " cleat
Attached Thumbnails
anchor roller and windlass platform 004.jpg   anchor roller and windlass platform 001.jpg  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #49
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
You could install a large cleat immediately adjacent to the gypsy. I'd add chafe protection when needed to the nylon rode where it leaves the end of the anchor roller.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #50
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I like what I saw on a Little Harbor (I think...cant remember now)...bow eyes with permanently attached bridle...a single for a smaller boat to a single eye would work too.

Best news f all...cuts your scope by quite a bit when anchoring in shallow water.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
You could install a large cleat immediately adjacent to the gypsy. I'd add chafe protection when needed to the nylon rode where it leaves the end of the anchor roller.
Thanks Mark ,Sometimes it's just right in front of you and you can't see it . I was hung up on the cleat needing to be in between the gypsy and the roller . I've got to add two more cleats on this plaform for bow dock lines .Probably put one on each side of the roller on the platform.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #52
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I like what I saw on a Little Harbor (I think...cant remember now)...bow eyes with permanently attached bridle...a single for a smaller boat to a single eye would work too.

Best news f all...cuts your scope by quite a bit when anchoring in shallow water.
That sounds good also maybe a bow eye on each side of the roller plaform with a bridle . Is there a hook that is designesd to work with both chain and nylon rode for when your in shallow water?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Is there a brand of hook that works with chain and rope? How long should the smaller line be ? Does it need to extend over the bow roller ?
I have all chain so to take the slack off the windless and prevent rattles I have a chain hook http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_17437.jpg attached to one end of 10 foot piece of line with a loop in the other. The loop drops over the samson post and my wife places the chain hook on a link and I let out chain until the snubber line goes over the roller and takes up the slack.

Dave
Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #54
TF Site Team

Not a great angle, but you can see all the parts if you look closely. I have the bow roller, then the leash to prevent inadvertant deployment while underway, then the cleat, then the windlass, then just aft of the windlass, is the sampson post. This post can take the line load off the windlass for extended anchorages like overnight. I just lay the line over the gypsy and the windlass housing and wrap onto the sampson post. A cleat located in this area could be used similarly, but can also become a tripping hazard if bow real estate is tight.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #55
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
My Muir cougar windlass has a cleat cast into the housing I use it for a safety lanyard while cruising. There is Bayliner factory cleat 12" to 16" behind the windlass, I use a snubber on this one when overnighting on the hook. During the day I leave the strain on the windlass with the pawl dogged in.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #56
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
My Muir cougar windlass has a cleat cast into the housing I use it for a safety lanyard while cruising. There is Bayliner factory cleat 12" to 16" behind the windlass, I use a snubber on this one when overnighting on the hook. During the day I leave the strain on the windlass with the pawl dogged in.
Ron, Muir strongly advise removing the pawl and stowing it nearby on a cable tie or similar, only to be used for motor failure manual retrieve.
I don`t like using the cleat mounted into the windlass cover for anything substantial, except briefly.
A good thing about a snubber used with chain is if it fails the load just goes back on the chain. I often find a second release of chain necessary to ensure the load is off the chain and on the snubber line. My snubber line is woven through a rubber load cushioning block usually used on slip mooring lines, to absorb stresses. I don`t see a reason not to use the snubber for daytime anchoring.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #57
FF
Guru

The different diameter snubber lines required can have a sail style snap shakel at one end and a piece of chain at the other that loops on to a cleat and the short chain goes over rail to not chafe away the very thin stretchy snubber.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #58
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
We have a cleat directly behind our Maxwell VWC, which is what we'll use.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote