Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
To answer the original question, we use a snap shackle to connect to the chain, and then let out enough chain/snubber so that the chain has about 2' of slack above the waterline; the snubber line never gets wet. Works for us, as the intent is strictly to eliminate noise. (This is a single line set-up, not a bridle.)

On our previous boat we had 150' chain, 250' line, which required a combo chain/line wildcat. We opted for a Maxwell Hrc -10/8 which would handle both, and it worked well, although to be honest I was more comfortable if we didn't get to the line part, as I liked using the snubber to take the strain off the windlass. Once we had the line on the windlass, our setup didn't lend itself readily to taking the strain off the windlass.

On our current boat we are replacing the all chain (very corroded) with chain again, and will use the same snubber system at anchor. The snap shackle setup also allows us to secure the anchor when it is stowed.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #22
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I used this through hurricane Sandy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130415_231726.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	18087
Old 04-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
If you look close at my avatar painting,......
Al: I never even considered your avatar is a painting! Now, I'm really impressed but not with your and Marin's snubbers.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin wrote;

"The only operational disadvantage I can see is if one is likely to be caught in really strong winds that will take the catenary completely out of the chain. We do not anticipate being in situations like that so it's not a consideration for us."

Looks to me like you should be concerned about that Marin because the only time you'll need shock absorption is when the catenary is pulled out of the chain. You're right in that the catenary will provide shock absorption when you have catenary but unless you have very under sized ground tackle (and I know you have over sized) you won't even need shock absorption until your catenary is gone .... and of course you won't have any then.

But as you say you're going to be lucky enough to not need shock absorption.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I used this through hurricane Sandy.

Attachment 18087
I use a stainless version of the same type of chain hook. Works well, easy to deploy and retrieve. In fact if placed open jaw up on deployment it usually drops off itself when chain retrieved, which can be useful in an urgent up-anchor situation, but won't budge while some tension on it.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I use a stainless version of the same type of chain hook. Works well, easy to deploy and retrieve. In fact if placed open jaw up on deployment it usually drops off itself when chain retrieved, which can be useful in an urgent up-anchor situation, but won't budge while some tension on it.
Bingo! Often falls right off when I bring it up over my bow roller. Works for me and let's say it has proven itself.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
You're right in that the catenary will provide shock absorption when you have catenary but unless you have very under sized ground tackle (and I know you have over sized) you won't even need shock absorption until your catenary is gone .... and of course you won't have any then..
We have plenty of normal shock absorbtion with the snubber. If the winds and waves are enough to take the catenary completely out of the chain to the point where it's bar tight the snubber bridle will have long since broken.

But as I say we do not anticipate that ever happening here as there are too many close-by protected places to get into in these waters if the wind's going to be that strong.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Rusty stole my design, or I stole his. A carbon copy for entire setup. SS for All metal pieces.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Taking in the snubber:

Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"I made this one with 30 feet of 5/8" on each side."

Considering it takes 10% to 15% of the breaking strength to stretch nylon , what purpose do (2) -5/8 lines serve?

For a smooth ride 1/4 or 5/16 or even 3/8 might be a smoother , softer choice.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #31
Guru

Thanks for everyones input I went with the mantus hook
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0396.jpg   IMAG0397.jpg  
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #32
Guru

Nice, that should do ya! Make sure you have chaffing guards at the boat side for the big blows.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #33

City: Anacortes
Like Flyright I also use a Shockles Anchor Snubber. It comes with a SS shackle on each end and works perfectly. I also have a Shockles Line Snubber that works well and is somewhat easier to attach to my chain, but the carabiner clip won't fit through smaller chain (smaller than 3/8"). Both are great products - well made and strong.
Capn Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
motion30: Nice idea with the splice.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #35

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Coconut
Vessel Model: Ericson 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I have used a std galvanized grab hook on a 1/2'' line vee bridle for years. I recently bought a Mantus chain hook which I rigged on the same bridle instead of the hook. I have only used it twice the first time it was off when I retrived the anchor, the second time it worked fine. I believe I probably did not hook it on properly the first time.
It looks good and very sturdy. I think it will be fine. if not I will surely advise here.
Here is their video link
Steve its greg with Mantus,,, when did you purchase the hook, I wanted to make sure your bought a new design with tighter tolerances that became available feb 10th 2013..., if not let me know we will replace it for you... also
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
hookcutout.jpg  
Anchor Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
To answer the original question, we use a snap shackle to connect to the chain, and then let out enough chain/snubber so that the chain has about 2' of slack above the waterline; the snubber line never gets wet. Works for us, as the intent is strictly to eliminate noise. (This is a single line set-up, not a bridle.)
This pretty much sums up my approach to using a snubber. Since I certainly don't expect to be anchoring in conditions approaching hurricane force, my effort is directed at the more common problem, the problem of noise generated by chain slapping back and forth in the roller. If your master birth is in the bow, as mine is, the return on this focus far exceeds the advantages of going all chain and expecting the absolute worst wind conditions. To my way of thinking, Conrad & Flywrights approach makes the most sense.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
This pretty much sums up my approach to using a snubber. Since I certainly don't expect to be anchoring in conditions approaching hurricane force, my effort is directed at the more common problem, the problem of noise generated by chain slapping back and forth in the roller. If your master birth is in the bow, as mine is, the return on this focus far exceeds the advantages of going all chain and expecting the absolute worst wind conditions. To my way of thinking, Conrad & Flywrights approach makes the most sense.
Interestingly the noise that we are attempting to eliminate is the growling caused by the chain as it scrapes across the bottom when describing an arc around the anchor. (We typically anchor in 30 - 50 feet on mud/gravel bottoms). The snubber mutes but doesn't entirely eliminate the noise.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #38
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Would it be possible to make a snubber out of a jam cleat like sailboats have?

Actually it's a briddle I'm really looking to make.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:54 AM   #39
FF
Guru

Sail snap shakle on made up lines of 1/4 and 5/16 and even 1/2 in nylon for a heavy breeze, for the rare times we use chain

However a good rolling hitch and light line will add shock absorbtion to a usually too heavy 5/8 line used for most overnights.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #40

City: Louisville
Vessel Name: Lucky Dog
Vessel Model: Mainship 350 Trawler
So, when with the line part of the rode is in the windlass, should I be using a snubber of some sort to relieve stress on the windlass? I don't see anyone using a snubber while using a line rode.
David O is offline   Reply With Quote