Old 09-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: englewood florida
Snubber

Does a nice stainless eye grab hook work well for a snubber or is it worth the extra money for a c.s.johnson chain hook.

cbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
I used a simple forged steel, galvanized chain hook with a shackle and one or two snubber lines, depending on whether p&s cleats or a single center line cleat. Worked fine and never slipped off of the chain.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Snubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbouch View Post
Does a nice stainless eye grab hook work well for a snubber or is it worth the extra money for a c.s.johnson chain hook.

Depends on your setup and conditions. I use one to secure the anchor while underway, setting the anchor, and for short term “lunch hook” applications. For those it works great. For regular anchoring I don’t use it.

Edit: BTW, this has been discussed a lot. No problem discussing it more but you might try doing a search here on TF for Chain hook, bridle, and snubber and read the threads that comes up.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbouch View Post
I use a Suncor stainless steel hook on my 3/8" chain. Defender has them for around $30 .

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-08-17 13.13.50.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	93650

The second clip is there if the rope breaks or I drop the line accidentally.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I bought a Mantus for our 3/8 chain set up last spring.

I will probably sell it on Ebay or here next spring. It is just so friggin' big. Getting it past the roller and anchor "bounce bar" is really difficult.

We will revert to our double shackle set up going forward.

It's a pity because the Mantus really is very simple to attach and take off and holds the snubber to chain well. It is just too large for the application.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:47 AM   #6
Guru

I install my mantus chain hook just below the roller but I understand every setup is different
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Guru

I use a regular galvanized grab hook. Same way OC is rigged but without the second clip.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:39 AM   #8
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Amazon has a SS 5/16" chain hook for $13.45, delivered if you have Prime. Half the cost of Defender's. See https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste...%2C231&sr=8-22

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: englewood florida
I saw the amazon hook and that is what prompted my question. Think I will get the amazon one..
cbouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I use a Wichard chain hook for my 3/8" BBB bridle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chain Hook.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	93660  
Old 09-09-2019, 09:26 AM   #11
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I use a Wichard chain hook for my 3/8" BBB bridle.
FWIW, the 8mm Wichard chain hook has a safe working 1/4 that of 3/8" BBB and the 10mm about 1/3. A soft shackle is as easy to attach and would be twice as strong as the BBB.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I'm watching this thread to consider what I should set up for our boat. I'm leaning toward this approach, but getting two lines made, each with the thimble on one end, sized to reach back to our bow cleats (through fairleads) without leaving a lot of extra. That'd give me some flexibility on setups.

But whatever I end up with, it's tedious getting it set up with the way our bow roller and rails are configured. The roller is just far enough forward, and low enough, to make it a hassle to get a line with the hook out there without it falling off the chain or risking loss of a boat hook pole.

I saw a Mantus hook at a local ship store, yowza, it's HUGE. No way it'd fit over the roller.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #13
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post

But whatever I end up with, it's tedious getting it set up with the way our bow roller and rails are configured. The roller is just far enough forward, and low enough, to make it a hassle to get a line with the hook out there without it falling off the chain or risking loss of a boat hook pole.

I saw a Mantus hook at a local ship store, yowza, it's HUGE. No way it'd fit over the roller.
That is why many find a soft shackle to be so much easier to deal with than hooks, as well as being much, much stronger.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
A soft shackle is as easy to attach and would be twice as strong as the BBB.
I'm not familiar with the "soft shackle" concept. Please expand with a photo or two.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:36 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
I'm watching this thread to consider what I should set up for our boat. I'm leaning toward this approach, but getting two lines made, each with the thimble on one end, sized to reach back to our bow cleats (through fairleads) without leaving a lot of extra. That'd give me some flexibility on setups.

That is what I’ve done. 2 1/2” 3 strand lines with a thimble on one end and a loop on the other. Each is 25’ long. This provides a huge amount of flexibility. Just because they are 25’ long doesn’t mean you have to use the entire length. Most of the time I don’t use the entire length, but when it is blowing the full 25’ is nice to have.

I also have a low bow roller with a keeper so I do have to reach forward to feed back each eye over the roller. Then they are attached to the chain with a soft shackle. Then when the anchor chain is let out the shackle with the two eyes easily goes over the roller and down. So while I do have to lean forward to feed back the eyes of the line, I’m not having to try to lean forward to attach a hook or shackle to the chain but can do that right in front of the windlass.

FWIW, I use an inexpensive chain claw on a 6’ line to secure the anchor when up as well as to set the anchor. Again, the claw secures the anchor between the windlass and the roller so no reaching involved.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
Grand Vizier

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the "soft shackle" concept. Please expand with a photo or two.
They're made of Dyneema, which is why they are so freaking strong. To attach a soft shackle to the chain, you just pass the loop end through the chain and the thimble, then loop the eye over the knot. Takes about 5 seconds to attach. You only need a 1/4" Dyneema (or equivalent) soft shackle to exceed the strength of the chain many fold. Here's a link to one possible manufacturer: https://www.marlowropes.com/product/dynaline-shackles

You can find them for under $15, or, you can easily make them.

After we run out the chain, I pass the live end of a single line snubber over a roller that is positioned over the chain roller, then attach the yacht thimble to the chain, then run out the chain with an overhang of around 6 feet to allow for stretch in the snubber, which is kind of their whole point, IMO.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:

I have been using soft shackles for a number of years. They are very simple in concept. You have a short length of line with a stopper knot at one end and a loop at the other. Run it through the items you want to connect and then slip the loop over the stopper knot.

Here is a link to the type of soft shackles that I’ve been making for years. This design was developed by Allen Edwards and is very easy and quick to use. The strength of the shackle is about equal to the strength of the line. So if you use 3/16” dyneema, it is going to have about a 5,400lbs average breaking strength.

https://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php

When I want a stronger soft shackle I use a different style that I developed but is based on the “Better Soft Shackle” by Allen Edwards and the “Stronger Soft Shackle” that was developed by Allen Edwards, Brion Toss, and Even Starzinger (all sailors with Brion Toss a professional rigger). It has an average breaking strength of about 230% of the line strength. So if you use 3/16” dyneema line it will have an average breaking strength (as tested) of over 12,000 lbs.

https://l-36.com/high_strength_soft_shackle.php

Here is an old shackle that I have here at the house.

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	93801

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-09-2019, 10:59 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
i have been using soft shackles for a number of years. They are very simple in concept. You have a short length of line with a stopper knot at one end and a loop at the other. Run it through the items you want to connect and then slip the loop over the stopper knot.

Here is a link to the type of soft shackles that i’ve been making for years. This design was developed by allen edwards and is very easy and quick to use. The strength of the shackle is about equal to the strength of the line. So if you use 3/16” dyneema, it is going to have about a 5,400lbs average breaking strength.

https://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php

when i want a stronger soft shackle i use a different style that i developed but is based on the “better soft shackle” by allen edwards and the “stronger soft shackle” that was developed by allen edwards, brion toss, and even starzinger (all sailors with brion toss a professional rigger). It has an average breaking strength of about 230% of the line strength. So if you use 3/16” dyneema line it will have an average breaking strength (as tested) of over 12,000 lbs.

https://l-36.com/high_strength_soft_shackle.php

here is an old shackle that i have here at the house.
Attachment 93801

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	93802

Dave
SPOT page
Old 09-10-2019, 02:11 AM   #19
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Victory hooks support the chain better than a chain hook, more of a gentle caress over the whole link vs point loading.
Ours has seen 80+ knots.

https://victory-products.com/products/ch2303

Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Victory hooks support the chain better than a chain hook, more of a gentle caress over the whole link vs point loading.
Ours has seen 80+ knots.

https://victory-products.com/products/ch2303

And while it likely doesn't matter, mostly, weaker than the chain.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote