Setting anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delfin,
I wasn’t saying the snubber was a fad. Just the word and talking about it on TF.

That would make a better avatar (pic in your post #59) than your current avatar. It looks a bit like your boat is bent down in the middle. I’ll bet you’ve got much better pics than 59 too.

Thanks Eric. Avatar will change per your advice.

Here's a question relative to all this snubber talk. Does it hurt to use a snubber? I understand that some folks don't think one is necessary but ....

Well if you had a 40’ boat using 1/4” chain maybe so.
Otherwise I’m think’in one’s chain catenary is shock absorber enough.

Love your avatar Delfin!

Here's a question relative to all this snubber talk. Does it hurt to use a snubber? I understand that some folks don't think one is necessary but ....
Providing it doesn't break or come off, their is no downside. Think of it as a combination rode, mostly chain and some rope.

Ted

I believe the WLL on G4 HT chain is 2600 lbs. of course it will have a cantenary effect but in strong winds and current, it will pull taint and the stress is applied to the windlass. Each to their own. I know from experience that these strong conditions come up at the least opportune time and prefer the added elasticity of a nylon snubber to take the shock off the windlass and the sudden “jerk” of the boat when the chain is tight.

Steve

I believe the WLL on G4 HT chain is 2600 lbs. of course it will have a cantenary effect but in strong winds and current, it will pull taint and the stress is applied to the windlass. Each to their own. I know from experience that these strong conditions come up at the least opportune time and prefer the added elasticity of a nylon snubber to take the shock off the windlass and the sudden “jerk” of the boat when the chain is tight.

Steve

Steve
Your points are valid for many if not most recreational vessels we on TF own. The discussion seems to have come full circle and that is OK. Some of us have been anchoring for a very long time, and like a good anchor become set in our ways. A little debate is fine provided those talking have an anchor and routinely use it.

If you have the opportunity look at how larger crewed yachts and fish boats in the 35 - 50 foot range are set with deck hardware, rode and technique. Quite honestly the boat “ anchoring” disasters I’m familiar with don’t involve snubbers. Most seem to involve too small an anchor, wrong place, bad tide change understanding and chafe.

No question, the TF seems to deviate from the initial post. I tried to come back to that. I also agree that most “anchoring disasters” are not related to snubber or no snubber. I just try to prevent as much potential damage or issue as possible. Get the right sized anchor for the seabed, get it set firmly, play out the correct scope and most issues are handled. I try to get that each and every time I anchor. This allows me to focus on the “other aspects.”

Thanks for the feed back.
Steve

"prefer the added elasticity of a nylon snubber to take the shock off the windlass and the sudden “jerk” of the boat when the chain is tight."

No shock should be fed to the windlass the system requires a chain stopper , to handle anchoring and shock loads

As the stopper may need to handle the vessel in surging conditions ., a robust unit is needed.

By inserting nylon in the system , the loads on the chain stopper are reduced, and the ride smoother in a blow.

Ideal is fine,

https://www.schaefermarine.com/our-products/ideal-windlass/ideal-windlass-accessories/

Schaefer Marine offers several of the Ideal Windlass Accessories, please contact ... This strain can be relieved by installing a chain stopper between the anchor ..

https://www.lofrans.com › ... › Chain Stopper & Stern SupportThe chain stopper is installed between the windlass and the bow roller in order to take the load off the windlass, either when the yacht is anchored or tensioning ...

Last edited:
No shock should be fed to the windlass the system requires a chain stopper , to handle anchoring and shock loads

As the stopper may need to handle the vessel in surging conditions ., a robust unit is needed.

A chain stopper is great. I wish I had one. Since I don’t, I use a line take the load off of the windlass.

"I wish I had one."

Most folks would agree , but the initial purchaser should have been responsible for refusing the vessel from the builder at purchase time.

Back
Top Bottom