Sea Anchors and Drogues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capthead

Guru
Vessel Name
Heads Up
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic
I don't own a sea anchor and I wanted to hear from anyone who has experience with them. I know some of the long range fishing boats out of San Diego have them and use them on occasion.

I want to know how the boat rides while using the anchor in a storm.

Im cruising to Brazil and I bought an wind anchor butI hope I dont need to use. Just in case we have a engine problem, we'll use to the boat is align to the wind.

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Hi Sergio, I've been reading your thread of your cruise to Rio. It makes sense to me to have one just in case it's needed.

Thanks for the reply.

Re: Para anchor
A very good mate of mine invented the Para anchor, I did many a boat show with him and used his Para anchor a number of times to familiarize myself with it, that is what all that own one should do, you will learn how easy it is to release, what is required and where the your cleats are positioned, equally they are easy to retrieve.

Sad really it is a great product, he has sold the business to a company in the U.K.

Like all emergency equipment, don’t store it if you don’t know how to use it, don’t wait for the occasion to arise before experimenting with a plan.

One thing I can tell you if you end up in a situation where you need one they are absolutely fantastic, can be fun experimenting drifting at tide speed with thirty knot winds is a rare experience, makes great drift fishing if you are into that.

Regards.

Rex.

I have two on board and use one extensively for drift fishing. Usually tied to the bow but occasionally I will put out two, one from the bow and one from the stearn and drift abeam to the wind but this is in fairly calm seas for fishing. The one on the bow certainly keeps you into the wind nicely in case of a motor failure and have only read about using them from the stearn in a severe following sea. Cheap insurance IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom