RE: Sea Anchor.

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Do you have one?
Do you think you need one?
If so have you ever had call to use it?

Who makes the best?

SD
I have a small one I bought just for king salmon fishing. My boat is incapable of slowing to 2 knots, even with the trolling valve doing it's thing. With the sea anchor deployed, I can get down to 2.2 knots.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

1. Do you have one?
2. Do you think you need one?
3. If so have you ever had call to use it? [or had an occasion to want one?]

SD
1. No.
2. No.
3. No

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Sea Anchor.

Yes, we have a sea anchor.* However, I have not used it, but something a long range boats should have.* I almost used it but Boat US was so quick as they heard me on the VHF and came out to meet us.* They were moored across from us, so as soon as they heard they came out.* If I was up in your area and/or big open water I would have one.*

I bought ours at Second Wave, Seattle
-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 17th of December 2010 12:57:56 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 17th of December 2010 01:00:43 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Carey wrote:

I have a small one I bought just for king salmon fishing. My boat is incapable of slowing to 2 knots, even with the trolling valve doing it's thing. With the sea anchor deployed, I can get down to 2.2 knots.

I think what you are refering to would be called a drogue rather than a sea Anchor.

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

1. No.
2. No.
3. No

Rather emphatic there aren't you Marin.
*No explanation as to the thought of an emergency deployment of a Sea anchor.

SD

Old 12-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -
Sea Anchor.

I think the answers are pretty self-explanatory. In the waters we cruise in I can't see any reason to ever need one. So we don't have one.

Different story for people who do open ocean cruising where they have to deal with whatever the weather hands out. But in our waters, you're never more than an hour or two-- and usually much less--- from a safe harbor or anchorage. The weather forecasting here is very good--- the only thing the forecasters miss on a* regular basis is the time something is going to occurr.* But they're generally right on with their predictions of what's going to occur.* So you take the conservative attitude with regards to the predicted times and it will be very rare-- if ever--- that you will get caught out in the nasty stuff unless you set yourself up to have this happen.

And we have a spare engine and running gear.* So our chances of ending up drifting around wihout power are pretty remote.

And finally, the issue up here with where you end up if you have no motive power are not so much in the hands of the wind as they are in the hands of the current.* And a sea anchor does absolutely nothing for you with regards to current.* You and the sea anchor are simply carried along together at the same rate.* So if a current is setting you into shallow water, a sea anchor's not gonna make one whit of difference.

Hence the no, no, and no.

PS--- Far more useful and effective than a sea anchor in case of a total power loss in these waters is the boat's anchor.* The advised technique if one loses power and is being carried into something Bad by the current (or wind or both) is to let your anchor out all the way.* Two hundred, three hundred feet down, however much rode you have.* Then as you are carried into shallower water, hope that the anchor will grab something or set as it begins to drag along the bottom which, in these waters, will be coming up fast as you approach the island or mainland.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 17th of December 2010 01:28:35 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Guru

Aha., Indeed excellent response.* Were I in you shoes I would concur.
However*my boat is *a single screw and at times I am forced into situations I would rather not be in.
The idea of a safety anchor is something I am looking into. i.e. the reason for the post.

I have seen advertisements for the self deploying variety as well as the manual ones.
if anyone has had experience with either I would love to hear about it .

SD
Old 12-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
Grand Vizier

We carried a 12' para-anchor when blue water sailing to Hawaii meant to be deployed off a bridle.* When we go to OZ in a couple of years, we'll carry one again.* Very nice to be able to pull off the freeway in a big blow and sit it out, rather than bash it out.

The best description of effective para anchor deployment is in Lyn and Larry Pardey's book 'Oriental Adventure' in the appendix.* He has a different approach to deployment - using a bridle to increase stability who hove to in really high winds.* Off the bow, the motion of the boat is a whole lot less pleasant than cocked 50 degrees to windward off a bridle.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #10

Sea Anchor.

We don't have one at present, but they are helpful in some circumstances.* Some years ago I had a single screw Ablin 36 and was crossing the Gulf Stream from Miami to Bimini when the engine died as some idiot...hehe...did not do a good job of bleeding the fuel system after a filter change.* I used to leave at 0 dark 30 to be able to insure a landfall in the daytime as it took me about eight hours to cross, so this of course happened just after I got into a fast northerly*current part of the stream in pitch blackness with a Southeast wind at about 15 knots that was making the boat rock and roll so much I was having trouble even lifting up the floor hatches to access the engine room.* I did not have a sea anchor then, but did have a spinnaker that had been repaired*and I was delivering to a friend in the Berry Islands which I tied up to my anchor line and deployed off the bow.* The bow immediately swung into the wind (even though the boat was still drifting with the current) and I was quite easily able to get the fuel system bled properly as everything really settled down very nicely.* Hardest part was retrieving the huge sail without it getting all tangled up.* I swore I was going to buy a real sea anchor, and I still plan on doing so, it's just taking a while!

-- Edited by Avista on Friday 17th of December 2010 02:50:06 PM
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Carey wrote:

I think what you are refering to would be called a drogue rather than a sea Anchor.

SDSkipperNo doubt you are right. It is about three and half feet at the front, tapering to about a 12 inch exit, made of a heavy laminated plastic of some sort. It has a rope sewn into the front opening, with three lines leading to an eye for attachment.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM   #12
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

I'd have to concur with Avista, for the same reasons he noted. *I do have a para-type sea anchor, and my boat is a single screw. *I bought it for just the incident he described, that is, crossing Gulf Stream, engine down, squall or storm coming up before I can repair or tow, and throwing out the sea anchor to direct the bow and boat to a more predictable state. *When it's going to be topsy-turvy, it's a lot safer when its a predictable topsy-turvy.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
healhustler wrote:

I'd have to concur with Avista, for the same reasons he noted. *I do have a para-type sea anchor, and my boat is a single screw. *I bought it for just the incident he described, that is, crossing Gulf Stream, engine down, squall or storm coming up before I can repair or tow, and throwing out the sea anchor to direct the bow and boat to a more predictable state. *When it's going to be topsy-turvy, it's a lot safer when its a predictable topsy-turvy.
In my own words, as I understand it, a sea anchor would most likely be needed to prevent a broaching situation, or pitch poling on the face of a major following sea. Not having experienced this, I would appreciate any correction of my understanding on this.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 PM   #14
Grand Vizier

Carey, a sea anchor is designed to substantially halt the motion of the boat altogether, or at most to limit leeway to less than a knot.* A sea anchor can be deployed from the bow, with potential damage to the rudder, or off a bridle, which is a much more genial deployment.

As noted by others, you're confusing it with a drogue, designed to slow the boat, and generally towed behind the vessel while running before a storm.*

Easy mistake to make, especially if you have never actually had to consider the problem in real time.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

In the open seas, I can see the need/benefit of carrying*both a drogue and sea anchor.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kekada
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54

I my other life as a sailor we carried one*on our circumnavigation. In the one instance when it would have been great to*use*it, the conditions*were simply too rough (dangerous) *to deploy. Fortunately the boat was made of much sterner stuff than me.
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Any old truck tire with a wrap of chain is a great drogue.

Also very useful then the customs boat driving guy got his job from his brother.

A parachute with a couple of floats makes a fine sea anchor.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Sea Anchor.

Quote:
FF wrote:

Any old truck tire with a wrap of chain is a great drogue.

A parachute with a couple of floats makes a fine sea anchor.
Fred, you carry old tires aboard?*

Actually, I have used several old tires tied in series to help control a boat before.* We were delivering a landing craft to the ship yard due to extensive cracks in the hull (steel) below the water line, where the struts attached.* When I went on watch about 1100hrs, I found it impossible to keep the boat on course with just one engine.* The skipper I was relieving had been battling it for hours and was exhausted. It quickly occurred to me that we had lots of tires aboard, so I tied several together and pitched them over the side, problem solved.* We steered straight with little rudder input the remainder of the night.

And yes, we do carry a Para Tec sea anchor aboard our Defever 49. When we cross the Gulf of Alaska, it's rigged and ready to go at a moments notice, but we have never used it in a storm. Otherwise, it's still pretty well ready to deploy, but is stowed in an aft locker.

We just sold a drogue (here in the classified section, thanks).* It was designed for drift fishing, and I used it for years to slow my drift while mooching salmon.* It was the difference between using up to a pound of lead verses a couple ounces to get the lines down in a windy or big sea situation.* When deployed, it provides incredible drag, slowing the boat dramatically.* It rigs with a second trip line tied to the middle, so when you pull the trip line it turns the thing inside out, making recovery simple.

Would I spend the money for a real sea anchor for inshore cruising?* Probably not, but since it alread owned it (had it on my sailboat) I could see no reason to get rid of it.* If the day ever comes, I'll be glad to have it.............Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Saturday 18th of December 2010 12:49:53 PM
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #19
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Marin wrote:

1. No.
2. No.
3. No

Rather emphatic there aren't you Marin.
No explanation as to the thought of an emergency deployment of a Sea anchor.

SD

Ya just couldn't handle one word answers from Marin now, could ya???!!!...

I think his answer should be framed and hung in the Trawler Forum Hall of Fame!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #20
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Fifty-plus-foot waves (and 60 mph winds) seen from the Norwegian Gem's dining room on deck 6.5 last month about 1000 miles E/SE from New York. S'pose that would have been a good time for smaller craft to use a sea anchor.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote