Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
City: South Puget Sound, WA
Sea Anchor.

Some years back I got caught in 6'-8' seas in the Strait of Jaun de Fuca, ebb tide west wind. It shook up the gas tank so much that the crude in the tank clogged the fuel filter. Then I was nearly dead in the water with just enough rpm to barely maintain helm. I was able to nurse the boat into the lee of Dungeness Spit where the water was a little calmer. If I'd had a sea anchor I would have had a much easier and probably safer time of changing out the fuel filter. As it was the Admiral was rigging up a bucket and a line into a makeshift sea anchor when we got into calmer seas. I've often wondered how long the bail would have stayed attached to the bucket.

-- Edited by Budds Outlet on Sunday 19th of December 2010 07:50:43 PM

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Sea Anchor.

When I worked the commercial troller in Hecate Straits, we used a triangular piece of plywood, about 3ft a side held by a chain bridle to slow the boat to the speed of fish. One on each side, dragging from the fishing poles.
Not easy to stow.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member
City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
Never leave port with out it.
have used many times
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:13 AM   #24
City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
you are lucky about the bail...never last long when I use one as a drogue when towing a boat.

definitely on my to do/purchase list before too much blue water...

although just letting 100 feet of anchor and rode out will do a lot even if it doesn't touch bottom.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
SSCA Forum • View topic - (NZ) Gale Rider Drouge / Para-Tech Sea Anchor/ATN Storm Jib

For Sale , on this site.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #26

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Zack at Fiorentino Para-anchor is probably one of the most knowledgeable individuals on sea anchors out there. He's personally tested dozens of anchors, and can tell you the pros and cons on every type.
Port Townsend, WA
m/v Traveler - '79 Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #27
City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
It's been a while since I investigated this for my use. I have the 4th edition of Victor Shane's "DDDB - Drag Device Data Base: Using Parachutes, Sea Anchors and Drogues to Cope with Heavy Weather" which I got from Captain's Nautical. There might be a newer version, but I see that appears dead so maybe not. The three copies on AbeBooks Official Site - New & Used Books, New & Used Textbooks, Rare & Out of Print Books are all 3rd editions.

I'm not concerned about a sea anchor for offshore use, but I wanted to have something to deploy in an emergency to substantially slow my windblown progress in a channel or strait (the most common bodies of water in the PNW, often with a dangerous "Rapids" at one end!). As you might imagine, a traditional anchor would be virtually useless in many of these bodies of water .

I carry a 28' round nylon parachute on a swivel. I don't have a trip line - I'm willing to accept the trade-offs and just buy another one if I ever have to deploy it (carried it for 10 years, haven't used it yet).

refugio is offline   Reply With Quote