Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 PM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
If anybody else is thinking about getting a Sarca, let's talk. We've got a Super Sarca and love it. My 2nd anchor is a SS CQR which is purely decorative. I'd like to have an Excel hanging there but I'm not excited about the air freight. If enough of us were interested though we could likely do a pallet & I expect Rex would work with us to make it happen. PM me if you are interested.
Now you guys, that's what I call talk in' turkey. I urge you to follow Bob's lead on this. At least until a NA distributor is serious.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #82
Grand Vizier

Thanks for the pics, DD. I remain convinced that the Excel is the best design out there. Hope to get one at some point. One nice feature is that the stock is make of Bisalloy 80, which is pretty stout stuff.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM   #83
Rex

Excel anchor

Hi to all of you,

DinghyDog

Thanks heaps for your commitment, I am sure it will serve you well, very important to fit a bow shackle with the rounded section through the anchor, this allows full articulation when tide changes, if fitting a swivel then attach another shackle to couple it.

Hi Eric, yes the anchor is very similar to the Super Sarca, no the anchor is designed to engage the toe on its side, if you look at the rear you will see bottom side a straight edge, any force applied this then acts like a brake, transferring load through the shank, combine this the (bowl bus)as I call it on the underside of the fluke, this creates a roll effect further aiding the EXCEL into an upright position, fairly complicated but works a treat.

Anyway Dinghy Dog will be sure to let you know how it works.

Regards Rex.

CEO of Anchor Right Australia.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42
Rex
Above you say it is "very important to fit a bow shackle with the rounded section through the anchor, this allows full articulation when tide changes"

Yet on your brochure at the bottom of page one on this link

http://www.anchorright.com.au/downlo...oring-info.pdf

you say "the D-shackle must be fitted with the bolt through the release slot"

Can you confirm the correct way so there is no confusion please.

Thanks and BTW love my Super Sarca#8

Cheers
Janis
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #85
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemma View Post
Rex ..........
Can you confirm the correct way so there is no confusion please.

Thanks and BTW love my Super Sarca#8
I caught that too and was similarly confused. Enlighten us please Rex.

And I love mine too.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #86
Guru

My Super Sarca is set up with the shackle pin in the slot. The U connects with the U of another shackle to attach the chain. I added a gal swivel between the 2 shackles to stop them getting caught up.
I think PeterB has the same set up. Not sure how this translates to the Excel, but it might. Interested to see what Rex says.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #87
Rex

Hi to all.
A question that regulary comes up, the Super Sarca has the D shackle with the srew bolt through through the slide rail, if it is fitted the other way around the shackle can end up sideways through the slot and jam, with e Excel it is the other way around, if you were to fit it up the same as the Super Sarca the chain or swivel can slide down the side of the shackle due to the thinner shank and again jam dragging the anchor from the side of the shank rather than central.

With the plough type anchors their shanks are quite thick not allowing--enough room for the chain to slide in and Jam,the Excel shank is a lot thinner due to the Excels design, it demands this concept, that is why we use bisaloy, I recommend to use bow shackles on the Excel, fit them with the screw pin through the chain-- swivel, as they are now captivated they cannot slide in beside the shank, the bow shackle works a treat is it fully articulates allowing a central pull at all angles.

Good to hear from you Gemma, I have often thought of you during some pretty wild weather, I hope you kept safe and are well, I hope the anchor is living up to what I preach.

Regards Rex.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #88
Guru

Thanks Rex.
A reminder, recently I`ve seen boats with anchor shackle pins not safety wired, or correct term, moused. Our aircraft experts will know everything possible gets lock-wired,like sump plugs on competition autos. Not difficult, ss wire single or stranded, is readily available.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:36 AM   #89
Rex

Hi Bruce.

We do on most occasions tell out customers to wire of -- mouse their shackles, strangely enough it seems to fall on deaf ears, not bad for buisness as we have re sold a suprisingly amount of anchors to customers that freely admit they have only hand tightened their shackles and didn't mouse them either.

Regards Rex.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:04 AM   #90
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Guys,
I have had my Sarca Excel #8 on Tidahapah for some time now and even with the limited work I have given it I am very pleased.
One highlight was recently the Boss and I were anchored of Moon Point (Fraser Island) in the afternoon.
Just before dark we got a serious wind shift that I wasn't happy with.
With a little deliberation we decided to move accross the water and anchor of Big Woody Island. We were still to be exposed but I felt not as dangerous.
Anchored up with plenty of chain about 70 mts in 8 mts of water.
Deployed the flopper stoppers and started to sit it out.
Bugger it got pretty dirty and the tide run was completely savage as well.
Managed to bend one flopper arm and pull out a couple of securing pins.
Stayed awake all night on watch but anchor held like sh*t on a blanket.
Next morning at daylight, picked up the pick and headed into the marina at Urangan as it kept blowing for a few more days.
Wind was up to 40 knots and savage short sea. Really happy with the anchor that I had deployed.
Another very happy customer , fantastic insurance.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #91
Veteran Member

City: Melbourne
Vessel Name: NightinGayle
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 42
Rex
Thanks for your quick response. As always a pleasure to deal with!

And as I said earlier I love my Super Sarca. Hopefully we can get you a few more referrals.

I must also say I was most impressed when I was at the Paynesville Slip getting Gemma repainted and rechristened NighinGayle when I saw this thumping great trawler getting some anti-fouling with two Super Sarcas forward and two aft.

Cheers
Janis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	16772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	16773   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0705.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	16774   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	16775  
JanisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:31 AM   #92
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
That's one serious and business like vessel. I wonder if they deploy both anchors, or just one unless weather extreme. As it looks unlikely they would be able to rig a bridle, they probably do let both go, to keep pointing into the weather, being a twin hull, although they are fairly near the mid line, so one might be ok..?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #93
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I don't see why one would want to use two anchors because they had a twin hulled vessel. Don't really think it has anything to do w it. It's more likely that Rex dosn't have an anchor big enough. But then why not buy one anchor of a different type? Maybe it's just a visual/style thing on catamaran's. It may have two helms and two commodes in the head too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #94
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
Only use one anchor at a time but being in survey must have 2 anchors ready for deployment.
Most cats have a bridle set up that is in in a Y formation and attaches to both bows to maintain center pull.
Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That's one serious and business like vessel. I wonder if they deploy both anchors, or just one unless weather extreme. As it looks unlikely they would be able to rig a bridle, they probably do let both go, to keep pointing into the weather, being a twin hull, although they are fairly near the mid line, so one might be ok..?
One per hull in case the boat breaks down the midline?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #96
Rex

Silver star, was built for heavy construction, repairs to gas and oil rigs, also for welding kilometers of steel gas pipe lines, this boat is either working or docked.

Benn is correct, under survey these boats have to have a second anchorring system ready too deploy,when it is in full work mode they deploy all four anchors, once laid they winch them until well set to keep the vessel form moving.

When the gas pipe lines have been welded they are rolled out onto another vessel in a continuos legth that trenches and lays them, they cannot afford the boat to be swinging or moving when this procsess is taking place.

Quite amzing to watch these operaters deploy all four anchors in not much more time than it takes some to deploy one.

Regards Rex
Old 02-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #97
Veteran Member

City: Annapolis
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 37
Rex said:
"...the anchor is designed to engage the toe on its side, if you look at the rear you will see bottom side a straight edge, any force applied this then acts like a brake, transferring load through the shank, combine this the (bowl bus)as I call it on the underside of the fluke, this creates a roll effect further aiding the EXCEL into an upright position, fairly complicated but works a treat."

That said, I've been staring at this anchor (which has been sitting in my living room) and trying to understand the design and anticipated functionality. The below photo shows the described "straight edge", but also a 90 degree downturn which would seemingly further brake or dig in and apply additional force to the toe. I also suspect that the entire anchor would be more upright because of the directional force on the rode/shank during setting.

Just having fun with armchair speculation prior to actual testing.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7746.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	16785  
DinghyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 PM   #98
Guru

DinghyDog,
I suspect that the family of anchors like or including the Delta, Shark, Rocna, Manson Supreme, Manson Boss, CQR, and probably several others lay on their side while setting at 5-1 scope or so and have a skid or something to keep the back of the anchor up and off the bottom to transfer the weight to the toe or fluke tip. This type of anchor probably does not lay on it's side at short scope when tension is on the rode as the end of the shank will be lifted up off the bottom. As you can see I like the arm chair analysis too. It would seem to me that some of these anchors may not set as well at short scope. Even once set some are better at short scope than others. Rocna has a record of less performance at short scope and they (Rocna) said to an anchor tester that their anchor should be set at 5-1 scope or more and then shortened up. So it sounded like they weren't very confident about short scope anchoring ... at least while setting and most likely after that as well. It's not hard to find an anchor that works well at long scope but good performance at short scope is not as common. It is common knowledge that more scope is at least almost always better than less but frequently (in the PNW) due to small anchorages or crowded anchorages short scope anchoring becomes necessary. It looks like the SARCA anchor is very prone to set in a right side up position probably even more so that the EXCELL.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #99
Guru

Dinghy Dog,
I found my picture of my modified XYZ anchor. By making the fluke tip wide and straight across it presents a sharp point to the bottom when laying on it's side. I thought this would help setting and give the tip more surface area for more short scope performance. On our trip down from Alaska we anchored w this anchor about 12 times and it performed flawlessly. Once in a 50+ knot gale at 4-1 scope. I suspect that this anchor sets right side up unless it's at 5-1 scope or more. With the wide tip I was surprised it set every time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0264 copy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	16805   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0261.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	16806  

Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #100
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric-- If you stand a Rocna on its nose it will balance vertically on the rollbar and the base of the fluke. If you take hold of the end of the shank and pull it toward you so the anchor comes off the rollbar and sits only on the base of the fluke it will instantly twist to the side. If you continue to lower the shank the anchor will continue rolling over onto its side.

I know this because we have a dent in the oven door of our Force 10 range because I did exactly this the day we got our Rocna and I was installing the shackle in the main cabin of our boat.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote