Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hemi-brothers conjures up visions of "A brotha from anotha motha or a mista from a different sista".....for some reason????

Old 11-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Hemi-brothers conjures up visions of "A brotha from anotha motha or a mista from a different sista".....for some reason????
Right on RTF bro...

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Eric--- All anchors except the rollbar anchors are drop and drag in my book. They hit the seabed, lie there, and then depend on their flukes catching the bottom as they're dragged along and digging in. Danforth, Claw/Bruce, CQR, you name it. If you don't drag it along the bottom it won't set. And as soon as you start dragging it there is no assurance it will dig in. They usually do which is why people buy them but if the bottom is crusty or weedy or whatever there's a chance they'll just continue to slide along until you give up and haul it up and drop it again in the hopes that it will "land better" this time.

A rollbar anchor on the other hand is forced by its design to end up on its side and when you start to pull on it the very first thing it does is pivot its sharp pointed fluke down into the bottom like a knife blade. It does not have to slide across the bottom one inch in order to dig in. Once the fluke has penetrated the bottom the anchor is then forced to rotate to put the fluke 90 degrees to the direction of pull.

That's what I mean by pro-active. If a drop-and-drag anchor doesn't snag a fluke and start to dig in you can drag it all the way to China (or if you're in China, all the way to Canada) and it won't do anything for you.

One can argue the merits or demerits of a convex fluke or a concave fluke or even a flat fluke, but this does not change the rollbar anchor's initial action of pivot, slice, and turn. No dragging and hoping necessary.

PS-- A Claw is just a Bruce without the name Bruce on it. The Bruce is consistently at or near the bottom of all manner of anchor tests in terms of holding power so I would not expect the Claw to be much or any better in that regard. And I don't care how fast an anchor sets, if it has low holding power--- and our Bruce certainly demonstrated that on one too many occasions--- it's not going to find itself on our boat. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. If it weighed a hundred-plus pounds, sure, it would probably be pretty reliable. But we can't carry an anchor that large on our boat so it's a moot point.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Marin wrote;

"Any type of anchor will work better for a given boat size if you double or triple the size of the anchor."

So you've answered the OPs question.

"All anchors except the rollbar anchors are drop and drag in my book."

It said in the anchor test the Rocna dropped and dragged 3 to 10' depending on the seabed type. You must mean drag "all over the place". The only anchor I've ever used that set instantly was the Dreadnought.

Marin wrote;

"very first thing it does is pivot its sharp pointed fluke down into the bottom like a knife blade." It being a roll bar anchor. Time wasted. Other anchors don't NEED to waste time ROLLING AROUND LOOKING FOR THE BOTTOM. When they come to rest on the bottom they are in the position already.

My friend in western POW Is has a 30' Willard and he uses a 65# Forfjord but he went to some trouble fitting it to his bow. Do the work and get the reward Marin but I know you are very busy at work. I think you can carry a 65# anchor easily. You've said yourself your boat can carry any amount of weight.

"merits or demerits of a convex fluke or a concave fluke or even a flat fluke," Concave has been proven better by the Frenchman that designed the Spade. Fact. But it's fly crap in anchor design and so many other things are much more important than the small difference in convex or concave.

"Danforth, Claw/Bruce, CQR, you name it. If you don't drag it along the bottom it won't set." And how do you suppose you get your Rocna to set Marin? No anchor sets w/o being pulled along the bottom ... duh

Here is Ed's 30' Willard Voyager in Craig.
Notice that the anchor (however large) does not clutter up the view over the bow at all. This is an example Marin of what we both should be shooting for. I will print these pics and ask my yard how much it would cost to have our FG man to do this. Don't really want to do this myself and if I did it would probably look like I did it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0737 copy.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	14142   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0757 copy.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	14143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0758 copy.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	14144   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0760 copy.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	14145  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Marin wrote;

"Danforth, Claw/Bruce, CQR, you name it. If you don't drag it along the bottom it won't set." And how do you suppose you get your Rocna to set Marin? No anchor sets w/o being pulled along the bottom ... duh
The rollbar anchors don't roll around on the bottom looking for their proper position. No matter how they hit the bottom they are immediately positioned on their side by the anchor's design.

The Rocna (and Sarca and Manson and Bugel) don't have to go anywhere to set. Their first action is to knife down into the bottom. They don't drag along and then knife down into the bottom. The first pull on the rode pivots them down and blade slices in. They are actually designed to resist dragging along on the bottom when they are on their sides and that resistance is what makes the pivot action work so well. That's why they are designed the way they are and is why their design is so brilliant.

Why on earth would I want to go to all the effort and expense to modify our boat to carry a big, heavy, clunky anchor like a Forfjord when I can use a modern, efficient, fast-setting, hard-holding anchor that's light enough to pull up by hand if necessary and that for years has been wracking up user testimonials from all over the planet from the Dashews on down stating that it's the best anchor in the widest variety of conditions they've ever used. I'm talking all the rollbar anchors here, not just the Rocna.

Putting a Forfjord on our boat would be like trying to start an airline today with a fleet of DC-3s. They might have been the best thing going in their day but their day is long gone. That's not to say they don't still work, just that their design has been surpassed.

I have only three requirements for an anchor. Set real fast, hold real tight, and be real easy to deploy and retrieve. All the most common anchors in use today will do some of these things. But I'm convinced the only design that does all three consistently well under the widest range of conditions is the rollbar.

If I was restoring an old fishboat to put in a maritime museum I'd put a Forfjord on it for sure. But when it comes to an anchor for a boat I'm going to actually use, I'm going with the smartest design, not the oldest or heaviest or clunkiest one.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:06 PM   #26

Sarca Excel anchor

Hi Peter B,

The excel is a great anchor. The standard anchor supplied with my boat caused me no end of sleepless nights and I would not go to bed without the anchor alarm on.
Since I have had the excel the boat has never budged an inch regardless of wind or tide. I was so surprised at the performance levels especially when we have a few boats bunked up together. Rex has done a great job with the design of the thing and I would now never consider another anchor for my next boat. I bought the stainless version and it also looks quite flash when out of the water. The design is so unique that it actually becomes a talking point with people. One guy asked when I had the boat on the slip a few weeks ago how much the thing cost me because it looked so good ......he was surprised at the answer and wanted the name. After some conversation he walked away very keen.
Never ever thought that an anchor would ever become a conversation piece, but there you go.

Cheers
D/C'ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #27

Sarca Excel anchor

By the way....It also hooks up every time regardless of what's on the bottom...no dragging required.!!! Even weed or kelp.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #28
Guru

Welcome Diehard!
Sydney NYE fireworks,at their best seen from the water (on the safety of a Sarca). Not much breeze last year, just enough NE to keep the stern pointed at the bridge, anchored in Athol Bay.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
So why can't we get these Sarcas in the US? I saw the post that said some deal had been made with a US company to offer them here, but I still can't find them.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #30

Hi David,
Buy it on-line directly from Rex via his website and save the middle man.
If you need info just shoot him an email.
I can assure you that the man can be totally trusted. He does what he says and you will be more than pleased with his service. I have experienced that first hand.
Cheers
Old 11-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
So why can't we get these Sarcas in the US? I saw the post that said some deal had been made with a US company to offer them here, but I still can't find them.
David, just ask Rex. Go to Anchor Right Australia and send him an email. He is helpful.
Posting a 20kg or so anchor to USA from here will cost. It was $300USD to post me a Lehman heat exchanger from USA,but worth it. If someone stocks Sarca in USA bulk import will be cheaper. If not it may encourage Rex to get a stockist.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #32
Guru

Marin I wasn't recomending a ForFjord anchor for you at all. How on earth did you come up w that. I did recomend the way my friend mounted his anchor through the hull and below the caprail.
Marin ... anchors don't set themselves ... they need to be pulled along the bottom to set.

To all of you talking about buying SARCA'S in the US there was posts about a source in Seattle importing SARCA'S and ExCell's. Was about a month ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #33
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
The US distributer list on the Anchor Right Australia website is:

National Response Corporation (NRC)
Joseph B. H. Smith
9520 - 10th Avenue South, Suite 175
Seattle, WA 98108

National Response Corp. - Home
jbhsmith@nrcc.com

I have checked there site before but have seen nothing yet.
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #34
Rex

Sarca Excel

Hi all,

This is somwhat embarrasing but Isuppose it's the age of the internet, when I started no one in any other part of the world new the Origional Sarca was one the market, approx 18 years back now since it's launch.

The Excel hits the market and in this modern age the world knows about it, the contact is below, this company was previuosly called Seacor.

Joe was the man I was dealing with , all started of well as he imported a pallet load of anchors, shortly after, NRC bought them out, they restructured and Joe has been chanting at the bit to get back on track with me but undfortunately has to establish this new line buy getting approval from NRC.

Our product wont be on their website until all of these loose ends are tide up, (however) Joe did email me a week or so ago stating to expect an order soon.

The only thing I can suggest would be to give Joe a ring and see where they are at. It may prompt an order sooner than later if some of you are interested.

CEO of Anchor Right Australia.

Regards Rex.

National Response Corporation (NRC)
Joseph B. H. Smith
9520 - 10th Avenue South, Suite 175
Seattle, WA 98108

National Response Corp. - Home
jbhsmith@nrcc.com
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
My friend in western POW Is has a 30' Willard and he uses a 65# Forfjord but he went to some trouble fitting it to his bow. Do the work and get the reward Marin but I know you are very busy at work. I think you can carry a 65# anchor easily. You've said yourself your boat can carry any amount of weight.
How else would I interpret that other than a recommendation to switch to a 65# Forfjord?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #36
Scraping Paint

Rex--- Can someone in the US who wants one of your anchors buy it from you directly and pay to have it shipped to wherever they are?
Old 11-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #37
Rex

Yes Marin,

We can ship them wherever, shiping is far cheaper than air freight, if any one is interested we would sell as a one of below wholsale to help off set the frieght, how it would all wash up in the end price?

Apparently someone on the Cruisers forum has stated they have purchased a no 6 Excel and is awaiting delivery,must have orderd through Joe.

However a pallet load, or even ten anchors only, packed on a pallet we sent to the U.K. VIA SHIPPING WORKED OUT ABOUT $15.00 AUD per anchor. we did this with the U.K. 12 months back and it really turned out great for all.

CEO of Anchor Right Australia.

Regards Rex.
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard Boatie View Post
Hi Peter B,

The excel is a great anchor. The standard anchor supplied with my boat caused me no end of sleepless nights and I would not go to bed without the anchor alarm on.........Since I have had the excel the boat has never budged an inch regardless of wind or tide........
Never ever thought that an anchor would ever become a conversation piece, but there you go.
Cheers
Diehard, you clearly have not been on this forum long to make that statement......just look how long this thread is and how fast it grew....
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #39
Guru

Marin,
HAHA I think your'e right. I know you're married to that Rocna and prolly wouldn't have anything else.

I was only referring to the way Ed mounted his anchor to the boat. Dosn't look like a bunch of add-on stuff and dosn't beg to be ripped off if you bump a piling or something. The anchor dosn't interrupt one's view over the bow either and that is important to me. If you did that your Rocna would prolly stick out a bit more than Ed's Forfjord but otherwise would work the same. Your winch would need to be moved back some also. Personally I'm just shy about the cutting and fiberglassing that would be required ... and the time to do.

His design makes for a cleaner, less cluttered and better looking boat.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:31 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Marin,
HAHA I think your'e right. I know you're married to that Rocna and prolly wouldn't have anything else.
At this point, you're right. Our Rocna has set fast and hard the first time and has held fast every time. Granted, we have not really put it to the test. Strongest winds we've encountered (that I can recall) when anchoring have been perhaps 30 mph gusts. But it's held two boats under these conditions.

But..... should the anchor ever let us down multiple times as our Bruce did, we'll go in search of something else. We'll stick by an anchor design only as long as it continues to perform for us.