Rope that won't twist/hockle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldersalt

Vessel Name
Pacific Star
Vessel Make
1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
Greetings!

For the unusual fore-and-aft mooring system at Angel Island in S.F Bay I needed to buy 2 long lengths of mooring line. Trying to save a little money, I bought 2 200 foot lengths of economy 3/8" nylon 3-strand. It was terrible to use! No matter how carefully I tried to coil it and keep it untwisted, it would twist up and form hockles every few feet. I think I know how to coil rope and keep it untwisted as you go, but this stuff seemed to twist up no matter what I did. When I needed to use it, the hockles would make it tough to deploy, hanging up around a block or cleat etc. all the time. That rope has now been exiled to the local marine consignment store. But I still want to get an overnight mooring at Angel, so I need some new long mooring lines.

So, next time, what kind of rope should I buy that has the least tendency to twist up?

Thanks in advance,
Oldersalt

"Everything on your boat is broken. You just don't know it yet."

Our 600' stern line we keep on a garden hose reel, never any tangles and easy to roll back up.

Right hand lay? And you coiled it clockwise? Three strand has specific needs.

Braided is a little more forgiving I think. That gets coiled in figure eights though. No twist.

Last edited:
Right hand lay? And you coiled it clockwise? Three strand has specific needs.

Braided is a little more forgiving I think. That gets coiled in figure eights though. No twist.

3 strand..... coil in left hand, grab a length in your right hand and as you go to coil it, roll the top of the line over with your right thumb and fore finger. You will be coiling clockwise.

You will still see it try to bunch up so every now and then, twirl the free part of the line with your right hand in a clockwise direction..... Works even better if you can lay out the line total length.

I think I have it right.... It is dark and I am not going outside to confirm or disprove this.

If you are left handed, sorry, you are on your own.
Each boat should come equipped with one right-handed person and one left-handed person.

Last edited:
One way to unkink fishing line was trailing it behind the boat with nothing on the end. Might be worth a try with your line. Provided there are no following boats of course.

Oldersalt, I'd bet that whoever you bought it from pulled it off the end of the spool instead of letting it unroll off the spool. That will hockle rope every time.

Buy a brand name three strand that is preshrunk. Samson Pro Set and New England 3 strand are both excellent.

You don't save money buying cheap three strand nylon. You'll notice how nice and soft it feels, that means it will wear out quickly. You want a rope that feels firm and is a little difficult to unlay.

You don't need to buy fancy braided or plaited rope to avoid hockles. Just buy your 3 strand from someone who knows not to pull it off the end of the spool.

By the way, 3/8" seems pretty small for your boat. I suggest you go up to half inch.

I've used 5/8ths Brait line for my anchor rode for years. Stow my rode in a box on the foredeck .. lay it down as it comes over the bow. It always comes out of the box "without a hitch".
I made a pile on a float once and drew it off and away down the float. No problem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom