Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: Rode markings?

I'm with Rochepoint and Benn. I bought a ~ $200 chain counter from Cruzpro, (yeah, another NZ co, but you can order them on line and they'll post it), and I installed it myself. Not a fancy auto in & out like Rochpont's but hey, it works, and it was satisfying to install, and I love it.* No more mucking about with ties, paint which wears off, or getting the count wrong because someone said something (loud) at the wrong time.* It also obviates the need for risky business getting her down or up at night. Just one tip. The magnets they supply die early - too puny, but you can get 10 x 10mm replacement magnets easy on line, and they do the job extremely well, just needs a bigger hole drilled in the side of the gypsy.* Oh, and yeah, there is a minimum order of ~ $15, so I've got enough spares to supply anyone who wants one - works out at ~ $1 each - beats the $50 they want for the 'replacement' magnet.

C'mon guys, get with the progress - it's easy - if I, a simple quack can fit one..... ok....watch it....on the other hand wasn't it a doc who built that beautiful riverboat...?

http://www.cruzpro.com/products.html#HEADINGB

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #22

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Had to remove/retire the rode counter that was installed by the PO.* The problem is that with a cable rode, you have to keep sufficient pressure on the roller sensor to keep the count accurate.* This was difficult to do, unless you could*afford the time to lower the anchor very, very*slowly.

Would probably have worked ok with a chain rode, but annual painting is a lot cheaper.* And it forces you to draw and inspect the entire rode every year.

Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #23

I use a slight variation on the theme... I have an all chain rode, and I paint the markings. But I use the roman numeral system AND space the markings at the point where the amount of chain out is for a 4:1 scope. This way, I look at the depthsounder, and if it reads 4m, then I put out enough chain for the 4m marking. No mental arithmetic needed here. Of course, the 4:1 scope is a starting point. I can always reduce or increase the amont based on the conditions of the day. But, 99% of the time, it works. There is a card at the ehlm that indicates the actual chain lengths at each mark if you really want to do the arithmetic.

The markings are white for an 'I' and red for a 'V'. So fo 3m depth, the markings are 3 splotches of white. (each splotch is about a foot long). For 4m depth, it is a white splotch followed by a red. For 5m depth, it is just a red splotch, and so on. I only have enough chain for 11m of depth at that scope so for 10m, it's two red splotches. Yes, the paint does wear off and I usually repaint it about every two years at the haul-out. But, enough stays on that you can easily see where you're at.
dainisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #24

Tiny bright red nylon string about 6 inches long every 25 feet.....put it on 5 years ago, still works
marinetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #25
TF Site Team

Chain counter......
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #26

i use differnt colored tie wraps
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

We have 300', all chain and paint it, red, white and orange. The first and last mark are*30' in from the ends and*the rest are in 40' sections.* That way when we swap the chain around we are always starting with 30 feet at the anchor.* The paint markings are about 3 feet in length.** If I have to renew any of the paint, I do it on the deck in a plastic bag if we're not at a dock.* When anchoring at night, a flash light works for us.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #28

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
I'm with Rochepoint and Benn. I bought a ~ $200 chain counter from Cruzpro, (yeah, another NZ co, but you can order them on line and they'll post it), and I installed it myself. Not a fancy auto in & out like Rochpont's but hey, it works, and it was satisfying to install, and I love it.* No more mucking about with ties, paint which wears off, or getting the count wrong because someone said something (loud) at the wrong time.* It also obviates the need for risky business getting her down or up at night. Just one tip. The magnets they supply die early - too puny, but you can get 10 x 10mm replacement magnets easy on line, and they do the job extremely well, just needs a bigger hole drilled in the side of the gypsy.* Oh, and yeah, there is a minimum order of ~ $15, so I've got enough spares to supply anyone who wants one - works out at ~ $1 each - beats the $50 they want for the 'replacement' magnet.

C'mon guys, get with the progress - it's easy - if I, a simple quack can fit one..... ok....watch it....on the other hand wasn't it a doc who built that beautiful riverboat...?

http://www.cruzpro.com/products.html#HEADINGB
*We also have a Cruz Pro chain counter with windlass controller, but on our summer cruise the magnet died - after 6 years. I then worked out that the windlass deploys 20m of chain per minute. It's surprising how useful 20m of chain is in*these waters. 2 minutes worth for fishing and 1'30" worth for overnight anchoring in 5 to 7m of water.

Peter: The replacement*magnet*and new sensors as a set (CH31 product code) were only $25.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Well Jeff, the quote for a replacement magnet, identical to the one that came with the counter, from a local chandlery was $50. However, I can accept from Cruzpro it might be cheaper, but what they did supply was info as to how to check the sensors were ok, and they were. So I just ordered some 1x1cm cylindrical magnets from a local supplier on line, which work much better, but just need a bigger hole in the gypsy. They are even ferrite, so don't rust like the supplied one in the kit. Oh and if your ever fails again, let me know and I'll post you one for a coupla bucks. I have about 12 spares, they were so cheap and the minimum on-line order was only $15, so worth it, but I'll never need so many spares.
Hey, what do you know about their battery condition monitors...?
Old 02-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #30

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Rode markings?

Hi Peter,

If I need another magnet, I'll be in touch. The old one was very hard to drill out, but didn't appear to be ferrous - no sign of rust but there was some white powdery corrosion. Couldn't be bothered checking out the senders - physically they were a bit knocked around anyway from the chain impacting them occasionally.

We also use a Cruzpro battery monitor VAH110. Has worked fine for several years. I like the large scale display so I can*read the amp hours from the saloon as well as the wheel house. I leave it set on amp hours remaining most of the time.

The BEP version (also pictured) is more sophisticated in that it can show charging current separately. The Cruzpro*is limited to*net current in/out.

I'd probably go for the BEP now. You can also hook up BEP tank senders (ultrasonic) to the same device.

-- Edited by Bendit on Thursday 9th of February 2012 03:35:15 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cruz pro.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	10039  
Attached Images

Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #31

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40

Old boat -- 80' chain and 200' 3-strand, marked every 20' with 2' or red paint, redone every year when I inspected the chain-rope splice. So, I count "2, 4, 6, 8, 10, etc.," instead of "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,etc.," but it works well for us.
(Different thread, but the splice has been fine for years. We usually put most of the chain on the bottom but try to keep the splice just off, which works well in the San Juans and Gulf Islands.)
New boat -- all chain with wire ties every 20'.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #32

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44

I use all chain (3/8"HT) on our Marine Trader 44.* To mark it I spray painted the rode every 10' alternating red, white, and blue, then repeating.* Makes it easy to keep up with length deployed using that familar color sequence...for us Americans, anyway.

Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote