Old 11-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
Get a Rocna Mark. It's balanced to be self-launching from anything.

Actually, don't get a Rocna unless you can find one that was made in New Zealand or Vancouver, BC. Not sure I'd totally trust one of the new ones.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Oh Marin you gonna start that again?

Get whatever anchor you want Mark and your analysis of your rode sounds about right to me.

Here's my photo to match Mark's. I have 335' of 5/8ths nylon "Brait", 100' of 1/2" 3 strand nylon, 12' of 5/16" chain and 3' of 1/2" chain.

Our rode has been 100% satisfactory and has changed little over 7 years time.

The capstan/winch costs $425. Is very noisy, alignment sensitive, small and powerful for it's size but it always gets the job done. I keep our rode on deck to insure the berth area does not smell like low tide under a box. I tie the end of the rode to the port mooring cleat every time I attach an anchor. I store two anchors on the foredeck, one on the top of the fwd cabin and the rest in the hold and occasionally in the aft cockpit.

Anchors are:
18lb Modified XYZ
18lb Manson Supreme
22lb Claw
18lb Danforth
14lb Danforth
34lb Dreadnought

For those that aren't familiar w my anchors this is the XYZ and the Dreadnought as seen on the deck of the POs boat.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0161 copy.JPG   DSCF0259 copy.jpg   DSCF0206 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:45 PM   #43
Scraping Paint

City: -
So who gets the use of the cabin on your boat, you two or all the anchors?
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Eric, Maybe we should call you Ron Burgundy.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Eric, Maybe we should call you Ron Burgundy.
Que...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #46
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Que...?
??????

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

?????
Old 11-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #47
Guru

I should belly up to the bar here and admit that I like this attention and that it makes me feel like we're all warm and fuzzy friends but I'd never heard of Ron Burgundy. Perhaps I'd be flattered if I knew the guy.

I've been given flack all my life for how many boats or how many cars I have at any given time. We're down to five cars/trucks and I sold 2 boats before we left Alaska. In time I'll sell the 73 Buick and I think 4 is a very nice number.

As to anchors I don't sleep well w flukes in my armpits but never take all my anchors aboard the boat. Also re anchors I don't have quite enough. I really want a 40 to 45lb Dreadnought and I'd like to have a bigger Claw. I've always said re chain that one's rode weight should be spent (as much as possible) in/on the anchor. To put my money/rode where my active mouth is a 44# Claw and basically an all nylon rode would, I think, be appropriate. So I'm looking for a bigger Claw and Dreadnought. And if I was to actually use either I'd need to modify my bow like Ed's Willard w the Forfjord. But if I was to mod my boat for a specific anchor like the Dreadnought and then loose the Dreadnought in an anchoring fiasco what would I do then??? And I don't like the Forfjord. I would need to set it up to accommodate a Claw as well. Perhaps the roll bar on the Super SARCA would be low enough to be acceptable as I think the SARCA is really the best all around anchor available. And that leads me to consider the probable fact that I can easily hand launch a 22lb SARCA and have all the holding power I'd need. But I already have that w the anchors I have now and if I had the SARCA I'd need only one other anchor for a spare so what would I do w all the other pet anchors? Right now I'm fine but what if that other big Dreadnought turns up? And I would like that very much.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #48
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Eric, you are over-thinking all this. Please, don't buy another anchor until we can get a Sarca to you, and if you don't want the roll-bar spoiling the view, then the Excel will do fine. Then you could one by one sell all the others you have except one favourite for a back-up or stern anchor....truly...no dreadnaughts needed ok...? "Just hay-ang in they-yer with what jou got"...sorry...son has me watching the 'Coal' series where they are seam mining, in Arkansas I think, and they all talk like Gomer Pyle....(Hill Billy style)
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #49
Guru

Peter,
Good for you to pop in here Peter. I've thought about all this stuff and I'm really "good to go" as it is and I prefer the SS to the Excell.

"..truly...no dreadnaughts needed ok...? " Peter the XYZ and the Dreadnought are the two I'd never part with. I sold another XYZ (the one w the pointy tip) and have been very sorry ever since. I insist on short scope performance and until I'm convinced of that no anchor will do.

Oh yes Gomer Pile was serious corn from the past. One would think high tech would lead us only into the future but look at all the old movies and such that are readily available now that open doors to the past. You pay big bucks to get HBO and then watch old movies. Since our western civ is SO far over the hump we look longingly at the past where the good old days really were good.