Rode length;how long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FlyWright,

How do you like that winch? Is it very noisy? fast - slow? What controls does it have?

How many times do you anchor in a year? I think you're in the SF Bay area? Probably anchoring in mud all the time. Have you ever dragged?

Do you have a wash down pump - hose - valve?

Hope you don't mind all the questions.

Eric

Took me several years to understand why on the East coast anchor seem to be a lot more common than the PNW. The big difference is the dept of the water. Shoot in the PNW we have tide swings larger than the depth. We are luck to anchor in under 30 ft, plus 10 ft for the bow and 10 more ft for tide. Shoot that is more rode length than the total of most East coast boats. Shoot if I could anchor in 10 ft of water I would be :dance::smitten::thumb:

Al, I apologize for my faulty memory. It was chain I was pulling in the locker, not rope.

Took me several years to understand why on the East coast anchor seem to be a lot more common than the PNW. The big difference is the dept of the water. Shoot in the PNW we have tide swings larger than the depth. We are luck to anchor in under 30 ft, plus 10 ft for the bow and 10 more ft for tide. Shoot that is more rode length than the total of most East coast boats. Shoot if I could anchor in 10 ft of water I would be :dance::smitten::thumb:

Phil,
Those numbers you talked about lead me to suspect that MOST BOATERS probably actually anchor at about 3-1 on the west coast even when they say they employ 5-1. Don't want to sound like a fool of course. Same w authors of boating books. What if Chapman said 3-1 was an anchoring standard? They'd come after him w pitch forks as everyone knows that 5-1 is what to do as all the other books say so. For the record though I'll never say more holding power can be obtained at 3-1 than longer scopes.

So I'll bet 100% chain and 150 to 200' should be OK for the east coast where a 350' combination is best in the west.

Mark, you were right...it was rope I believe. The chain doesn't have a problem passing into the locker. Occasionally, the rope forms a tight coil in the 4 inch diameter SS cylindrical channel I devised to carry the rode through the teak pulpit base into the anchor locker. I should have designed the tube in a conical shape like an upside down funnel to prevent the line from binding. Someday in retirement I plan to remedy this. But in the meantime, I have great crew like you and the Admiral who come to the rescue with a short tug. Besides, it looked like you needed something to do while I was pushing buttons and working the shifters. ;-)

FF, I have a cleat forward of the windlass to tie off the rode at anchor. If I'm anchored with chain only, I have an anchor snubber that I attach which absorbs the shock and secures to the same cleat or the sampson post aft of the windlass. (see pic below)

MB,

How do you like that winch? Is it very noisy? fast - slow? What controls does it have?

I like the winch, but readily admit that my winch experience is limited to a few windlasses. As such, I'm not sure if it's considered loud or not. I always have the engines running when operating the windlass and can hear it over the idling engines.

The typical line speed is listed at 88 ft per minute with a max of 105 fpm. It's plenty fast for me. I control it with the Lewmar provided hard-wired switch and circuit breaker at the lower helm and a Lewmar wireless remote (link above) which allows me to control it from the flybridge or the bow. I do not have foot controls, but find no need for them with my current controls.

How many times do you anchor in a year?

Since I fish alot, I'm often anchoring and reanchoring several times a day. I'm guessing that I drop anchor 75-100 times per year. I'm hoping to increase that significantly in retirement.

I think you're in the SF Bay area? Probably anchoring in mud all the time. Have you ever dragged?

I normally anchor in the California Delta, but have anchored in the Bay as well. The bottom is mostly mud. In these parts, if you anchor in water 15 feet deep or more, you almost guaranteed no weeds. I have anchored overnight in a 30-35 kt blow and have never dragged anchor. It did keep me up all night on anchor watch, but a 7:1 scope held great. When in the bay for Fleet Week with Mark (crowded conditions), we anchored in 50 ft of water with only 180-200 ft of rode, if memory serves me correctly. The winds might have been 10-15 and waves to 3 ft with no problems.

Do you have a wash down pump - hose - valve?

Yes, when I installed the windlass, I also installed a fwd washdown hose in a recessed canister on the deck like this.
HE15F_sm.jpg

The electric RW washdown pump feeds both the fwd and aft WD lines. The aft line has a valve near the FB ladder, the fwd line does not. I have a lighted RW washdown pump switch at the helm to control the pump. I installed a lighted switch which prominently illuminates when the the switch is ON to remind me to turn it off when I'm done using it. It has done its job several times.

If I were to do it all again, what would I change? I'd upgrade to a 20KG Bruce anchor. (dwhatty, if you're looking for something to buy me for Christmas...:whistling:) It works well in the environment in which we operate and is a highly recommended anchor in this area by local experts.

Attachments

• AnchorSnubber.jpg
    AnchorSnubber.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 332
Why not an all-chain rode?

I wasn't sure how much weight my bow could accommodate. I wanted the shock absorption of a combo rode and felt all chain would be overkill for the bay/delta.

I started out with 270 ft of line and 30 ft of chain, but that was inadequate. I added 90 ft of chain and lost the last 30 ft of line to an 'anchoring mishap' which required a Vessel Assist dive to retrieve my anchor line from the grasp of my props. If I had all chain, that probably never would have happened.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/great-sturgeon-excursion-4697.html

The photos posted do not show a chain stopper.

Does that mean , against the Mfg advice the windlass is used to hold the anchoring loads?

The line going to the cleat on our windlass is our chain stopper. There is a chain hook on the other end.

Fred,
Skinny Dippin' uses the same windlass. I like it ok, but just ok. I wouldn't trust it to hold without a bridle. Moreover, it biggest fault I have with it is the case design. The case is two hemispherical halves with a poorly machined surface and too few fasteners holding the halves together. My seal failed and I had to almost completely rebuild the guts. Granted, it wasn't that hard to do and now I know everything I need to know about our windlass. Bess has now made a Sunbrella cover for it and I home I never have to do it again. :blush:

Overall, however, it's a pretty good unit. If I had the money, I would replace it with a unit with dual drums.

Tom-

The photos posted do not show a chain stopper.

Does that mean , against the Mfg advice the windlass is used to hold the anchoring loads?

We use a anchor bridle to the forward cleats on either side of the bow or to the sampson post behind the Lofrans windlass. No load is on the windlass unless it is working.:)

I wasn't sure how much weight my bow could accommodate. I wanted the shock absorption of a combo rode and felt all chain would be overkill for the bay/delta.

I started out with 270 ft of line and 30 ft of chain, but that was inadequate. I added 90 ft of chain ...http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s36/great-sturgeon-excursion-4697.html

My Coot came with 200 feet of 3/8-inch chain and a 15 kilogram claw. It would be nice to have a longer rode and heavier anchor, but the present equipment has been fully satisfactory for the San Francisco estuary.

The boat can carry more chain and a heavier anchor without upsetting balance.

Unlike Al, I have to give the anchor some slack and then push the anchor forward so it will drop.

img_114419_0_b98dfb17688aeff42c7bb9f791b748eb.jpg

Get a Rocna Mark. It's balanced to be self-launching from anything.:)

Actually, don't get a Rocna unless you can find one that was made in New Zealand or Vancouver, BC. Not sure I'd totally trust one of the new ones.

Oh Marin you gonna start that again?

Get whatever anchor you want Mark and your analysis of your rode sounds about right to me.

Here's my photo to match Mark's. I have 335' of 5/8ths nylon "Brait", 100' of 1/2" 3 strand nylon, 12' of 5/16" chain and 3' of 1/2" chain.

Our rode has been 100% satisfactory and has changed little over 7 years time.

The capstan/winch costs $425. Is very noisy, alignment sensitive, small and powerful for it's size but it always gets the job done. I keep our rode on deck to insure the berth area does not smell like low tide under a box. I tie the end of the rode to the port mooring cleat every time I attach an anchor. I store two anchors on the foredeck, one on the top of the fwd cabin and the rest in the hold and occasionally in the aft cockpit.

Anchors are:
18lb Modified XYZ
18lb Manson Supreme
22lb Claw
18lb Danforth
14lb Danforth
34lb Dreadnought

For those that aren't familiar w my anchors this is the XYZ and the Dreadnought as seen on the deck of the POs boat.

Attachments

• DSCF0161 copy.JPG
    DSCF0161 copy.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF0259 copy.jpg
    DSCF0259 copy.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0206 copy.jpg
    DSCF0206 copy.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
So who gets the use of the cabin on your boat, you two or all the anchors?

Eric, Maybe we should call you Ron Burgundy. :rolleyes:

I should belly up to the bar here and admit that I like this attention and that it makes me feel like we're all warm and fuzzy friends but I'd never heard of Ron Burgundy. Perhaps I'd be flattered if I knew the guy.

I've been given flack all my life for how many boats or how many cars I have at any given time. We're down to five cars/trucks and I sold 2 boats before we left Alaska. In time I'll sell the 73 Buick and I think 4 is a very nice number.

As to anchors I don't sleep well w flukes in my armpits but never take all my anchors aboard the boat. Also re anchors I don't have quite enough. I really want a 40 to 45lb Dreadnought and I'd like to have a bigger Claw. I've always said re chain that one's rode weight should be spent (as much as possible) in/on the anchor. To put my money/rode where my active mouth is a 44# Claw and basically an all nylon rode would, I think, be appropriate. So I'm looking for a bigger Claw and Dreadnought. And if I was to actually use either I'd need to modify my bow like Ed's Willard w the Forfjord. But if I was to mod my boat for a specific anchor like the Dreadnought and then loose the Dreadnought in an anchoring fiasco what would I do then??? And I don't like the Forfjord. I would need to set it up to accommodate a Claw as well. Perhaps the roll bar on the Super SARCA would be low enough to be acceptable as I think the SARCA is really the best all around anchor available. And that leads me to consider the probable fact that I can easily hand launch a 22lb SARCA and have all the holding power I'd need. But I already have that w the anchors I have now and if I had the SARCA I'd need only one other anchor for a spare so what would I do w all the other pet anchors? Right now I'm fine but what if that other big Dreadnought turns up? And I would like that very much.

Eric, you are over-thinking all this. Please, don't buy another anchor until we can get a Sarca to you, and if you don't want the roll-bar spoiling the view, then the Excel will do fine. Then you could one by one sell all the others you have except one favourite for a back-up or stern anchor....truly...no dreadnaughts needed ok...? "Just hay-ang in they-yer with what jou got"...sorry...son has me watching the 'Coal' series where they are seam mining, in Arkansas I think, and they all talk like Gomer Pyle....(Hill Billy style)

Peter,
Good for you to pop in here Peter. I've thought about all this stuff and I'm really "good to go" as it is and I prefer the SS to the Excell.

"..truly...no dreadnaughts needed ok...? " Peter the XYZ and the Dreadnought are the two I'd never part with. I sold another XYZ (the one w the pointy tip) and have been very sorry ever since. I insist on short scope performance and until I'm convinced of that no anchor will do.

Oh yes Gomer Pile was serious corn from the past. One would think high tech would lead us only into the future but look at all the old movies and such that are readily available now that open doors to the past. You pay big bucks to get HBO and then watch old movies. Since our western civ is SO far over the hump we look longingly at the past where the good old days really were good.

Back
Top Bottom