Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Having an anchor/rode suitable for the conditions you boat in has little to do with overall recommendations by Chapman's, manufacturers or anyone else..... unless you take it literally and have the prerequisite, lunch hook, day anchor and storm hook....which most cruisers nowadays poo poo to the mentality of one anchor should fit all.....

Thus my post of " you have to sort through it and ignore singular opinions".....

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
We went one size larger than Rocna suggested. We use the 55 kg/121 lb version. I can't say whether I've ever really needed the larger model but I'm glad I have it and have had some rotten weather nights where I never felt nervous. I have a couple of hundred nights on the anchor over the last 4+ years.

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Many who ditched their old anchors via anchor talk on the dock or over zealous anchor tests saying they wanted more holding power never seem to get a "new gen" anchor even the same size as the old one. Almost always they get a bigger one.

Seems to me they should get a bigger anchor OR a higher holding power anchor. Look at Marin. He had a 33# Bruce and it dragged so if he had purchased a 44# Bruce all his troubles would probably have been over. OR if he had purchased a 33# Rocna he'd have been in happy land also. In Marin's case I think he was low in holding power in the beginning and I think he was looking for an anchor that would keep his boat secure in a 100mph wind. And if he could get a 200mph anchor he would have. He was of a mind to get the ultimate setup not to get an anchor that would keep his boat in place for 10 to 20 years of anchoring. What most of us consider "good enough".

What most people feel is that the anchor that came w their boat is good enough. Like the tires that came on your car. Then on the boat an experience of "nonperformance" brings us to the point of moving one size up in anchor size whether it's 25% more holding power or 300% more. One "size" is the norm. It's just the old "bigger is better" attitude and it's almost bullet proof to make things better.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Most newbies don't need anchor advice...they need anchoring advice...if they want anchor advice before learning the way to do it...buy anchors 2X larger than...no make that 3x larger...no...just go with anchors 5X bigger than the manufacturer recommends and then technique probably won't matter...
Excellent comment. Here in St. Lucia we watch the French charter boats from Martinique try and anchor every day. It would be funny except one of them drags almost daily and there have been frequent cases of damage.

Its not the anchor, nor the bottom, just technique. With an almost constant 15 kt plus wind you don't need reverse, more likely you need to be in forward so you don't fly backwards.

Several of us have gone aboard French charter boats and have given anchoring lessons to often totally frustrated skippers.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #25
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
"Most newbies don't need anchor advice...they need anchoring advice."

X10 on that! Anchoring is 80-90% technique. As I mentioned, the big reason I went with a Delta was I had most of my experience with that or a CQR. The few times I have had difficulty with a set, were always due to my having taken some sort of shortcut. I see people with these nice new style anchors (and they ARE nice!), and go sliding on past us since they thought they could just lower it, let out a little scope, and forget it.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #26
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
"Most newbies don't need anchor advice...they need anchoring advice."

X10 on that! Anchoring is 80-90% technique. As I mentioned, the big reason I went with a Delta was I had most of my experience with that or a CQR. The few times I have had difficulty with a set, were always due to my having taken some sort of shortcut. I see people with these nice new style anchors (and they ARE nice!), and go sliding on past us since they thought they could just lower it, let out a little scope, and forget it.
Anchoring must be in the genes for most of us then. I was just thinking that I don't recall being taught how to anchor. It was almost instinctive. So when I hear about charter folk it is a bit laughable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Trawler

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One of the most popular classes I ever taught was Anchoring 101 when I worked at a Sea Ray dealership.....

Many owners of runabouts moving up to cruisers wanted to learn how to properly anchor AND feel like they could leave the boat to go to the beach or get a good night's sleep.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #28

City: Miami
I learned anchoring on sailboats as a kid crewing for my uncle and his sailing buddies. If we were staying overnight "we" always dove the anchor. "We" always meant "me". Having had up close and personal experience with most of the usual anchor suspects over the years I feel very comfortable using a rocna that is 50 pounds lighter than the cqr it replaced.

Via iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Anchoring must be in the genes for most of us then. I was just thinking that I don't recall being taught how to anchor. It was almost instinctive. So when I hear about charter folk it is a bit laughable.

How nice for you! Us mere mortals are not worthy; next time I anchor out we shall sacrifice a burnt offering in your honor!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post

How nice for you! Us mere mortals are not worthy; next time I anchor out we shall sacrifice a burnt offering in your honor!
Well don't do it on your boat. I'd hate to have your sinking on my conscience :-)

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Chapman Piloting explains and illustrates anchoring and scope in a way that should be easy for people to understand. It's easy for someone to say to let out X amount of scope but seeing the diagrams makes it clear what you are doing and why.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote