Rocna in Grass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
I'm considering upgrading to a Rocna as our primary anchor and switching our Fortress FX-37 to a secondary. There is a lot of grass bottom in both N. Florida and the Bahamas where we cruise, and grass is very tough on Danforth type styles. We have worked around this in the past (find the sandy spots) but I'd like to not have to worry about it so much.

I know grass is tough on every anchor, but have any of you rocna owners out there had any experience, good or bad, in grass bottoms?

Thanks,
Doug

Last edited:
Guess I'll stick my head out of the foxhole...

Not a fan of the "hoop" anchors in grass :hide:. They tend to prevent penetration by compressing grass in front of the hoop.

Mike

Rocnas are what they are and hoop anchors in general are fine in grass...now let the facts begin....or not....

Rocnas are what they are and hoop anchors in general are fine in grass...now let the facts begin....or not....

Now you've done it . . . . Anchor Wars! :rofl:

Load the pulpits, prepare to fire!:lol:

That's one of the things a Rocna should do well at.

SARCA should be better.

Manta may be very good at that.

I thought by asking a very specific question that the bloodshed could be avoided, perhaps I was wrong!

I thought by asking a very specific question that the bloodshed could be avoided, perhaps I was wrong!
And you thought these folks don't have very specific opinions? :rofl:

Ted

Were going to the Bahamas for spring break and going try out the anchor, I'll let you know. We going to anchor at Great Sale Cale since we can't do the run from west end to Spanish in one day, plus I want to try the anchor.

I'm considering upgrading to a Rocna as our primary anchor and switching our Fortress FX-37 to a secondary. There is a lot of grass bottom in both N. Florida and the Bahamas where we cruise, and grass is very tough on Danforth type styles. We have worked around this in the past (find the sandy spots) but I'd like to not have to worry about it so much.

I know grass is tough on every anchor, but have any of you rocna owners out there had any experience, good or bad, in grass bottoms?

Thanks,
Doug
What anchor owner is going to own up to buying the wrong anchor, one that is more expensive than a better one, one that doesn't fit as well as the other one, etc...etc...

Without "SCIENTIFIC PROOF" (good luck)..why would one think any one specific anchor is better than another???? Maybe in specific circumstances and some anchors are well known for strengths and weaknesses...but as far as the new gerneration stuff...I think they have strengths over the previous anchors (heck science and history ought to be worth something)...but say one is better than another...I'd like someone to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I'll own up to buying an anchor (Rocna) which was better than my previous CQR. That said, I didn't select another Rocna for the Trawler. Agree in general that the new gen anchors are easier to set and some are potentially better at remaining set. My "opinion" based on experience is that anchor hoops are more of a detriment than a benefit.

Mike

Last edited:
What anchor owner is going to own up to buying the wrong anchor, one that is more expensive than a better one, one that doesn't fit as well as the other one, etc...etc...

Without "SCIENTIFIC PROOF" (good luck)..why would one think any one specific anchor is better than another???? Maybe in specific circumstances and some anchors are well known for strengths and weaknesses...but as far as the new gerneration stuff...I think they have strengths over the previous anchors (heck science and history ought to be worth something)...but say one is better than another...I'd like someone to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Human nature, for sure. I think we can all agree though that all anchors, like all boats are a compromise some are better at certain things and worse at others. I am hoping to get specific input about a specific anchor in a specific set of circumstances. I'm pinning all my hopes on Oliver.

A fisherman/yachtsman anchor should do well.

Were going to the Bahamas for spring break and going try out the anchor, I'll let you know. We going to anchor at Great Sale Cale since we can't do the run from west end to Spanish in one day, plus I want to try the anchor.

That will be a great test, Oliver. The main harbor there (as I am sure you know) has a bunch of grassy spots. We went in there a few years back right as a big squall was bearing down on us. We didn't get set good before it hit and drug like crazy. The fortress was one giant rasta head when we pulled it up to reset.

I appreciate your help.

Doug

Human nature, for sure. I think we can all agree though that all anchors, like all boats are a compromise some are better at certain things and worse at others. I am hoping to get specific input about a specific anchor in a specific set of circumstances. I'm pinning all my hopes on Oliver.

Fair enough..can't argue that a Rocna is probably a fine anchor...I would just say that it shouldn't limit your choices.

If your mind is made up and looking for other's you trust to verify your decision...that's just what you might get...good or bad...

As usual you may really want to feel good about who gives you those opinions and how "time tested" or "extreme condition" tested your info is. For that level of advice I try to look to those who use equipment every day or on a regular basis and test it to the limits...but the reality is not too many commercial types really test anchors...cause ya can't make money while at anchor or spend the profits on "new gen anchors"...

So like you I can only data dump what's available through trusted sources...good luck with whatever you chose...:thumb:

Will someone please try the Manson Boss, and give us a report? I'll wait.:popcorn:

Looks sort of like a Bruce/Claw but with the ability to bring up much more mud/whatever.

I was all set to go out and try my new Manson Boss when I got a call about a bad situation over at Cracker Boy. They said the winds that I was going to try my new anchor out in had just blown a boat off the stands but the good news it needed to be painted anyhow...they just got it back up in the stands...

maybe tomorrow I'll test the Manson Boss....

Attachments

• Photo295 (2).jpg
    Photo295 (2).jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 108
I was all set to go out and try my new Manson Boss when I got a call about a bad situation over at Cracker Boy. They said the winds that I was going to try my new anchor out in had just blown a boat off the stands but the good news it needed to be painted anyhow...they just got it back up in the stands...

maybe tomorrow I'll test the Manson Boss....

Scott, I hate it when that happens.:eek:

...I know grass is tough on every anchor, but have any of you rocna owners out there had any experience, good or bad, in grass bottoms?

Thanks,
Doug

Last spring we traveled from Mayaguana to Bimini with our 33 Kg Rocna. Never had to reset or dragged. Better than the CQR we had used there years ago and definitely better than our Lewmar claw that the Rocna replaced. We still looked for a sandy patch in grass though.

I am curious... Why is grass such a problem? Roots loosening bottom?

I expect the problem is many anchors simply cannot penetrate the grass and roots so just skate on it. I'm not a diver so can't look.

I don't have much grass to deal with, we do have it, but where I boat flat blade kelp can foul an anchor badly, preventing anchoring.

The kelp and I suspect the grass prevent the anchor from penetrating the seabed at all.
I'd given up on some nice spots because the anchor simply fouled , pulling huge gobs of kelp.
My old anchor was a 'BRUCE'. Partly too small but in kelp bottoms unless I managed to hit exactly where I'd just ripped a big wad out , or someone elses track, it simply couldn't penetrate the stuff.

My Rocna ,so far, has allowed me to anchor in those same spots. Yes, I could see it did not bite immediately but it did and solidly. It is ,of course, larger and heavier than the Bruce. but I suspect it is simply the point digging through.

Just my experience to date.

I'm sure other pointy type anchors will work well also.

In my experience, the anchor will only penetrate the grass a little way, then it rips out a clump which fouls the anchor and after that it just drags. Luckily, in the Bahamas the water is so clear that you can clearly see the bottom. You find the white spots and drop in them.

Sounds easier than it is though, as sometimes all of the good sand spots in an anchorage can be taken. Also, it can be surprisingly hard to drop an anchor in a small one as the hook "sails" underwater and doesn't sink straight down.

Sounds easier than it is though, as sometimes all of the good sand spots in an anchorage can be taken. Also, it can be surprisingly hard to drop an anchor in a small one as the hook "sails" underwater and doesn't sink straight down.

If your hook sails underwater it is either way too small or a Fortress. I can't imagine my 55lb. Rocna knockoff with 1/2" chain sailing anywhere.

My XYZ is supposed to set in weedy and grassy bottoms in it's stock original configuration as shown in the first pic. It even has sawtooth sides to help penetrate. With it's original fluke tip (pic 1) I've only anchored 4 or 5 times. It never set instantly but always set w a minimum of backing and held well.

Before leaving Alaska I made a new fluke tip. Only mild steel was available and no galvavizer so I hit it w an aerosol can of "Cold Galvanizing". The new fluke tip as seen in pic 2 added considerable fluke area fwd and I anticipated better holding at shorter scope ratios. I only anticipated it would set in soft bottoms w it's very wide chisel like fluke. Either I accidentally found soft mud bottoms all the way from Thorne Bay or the chisel tip works on much harder bottoms as the anchor performed flawlessly every time .. about 8 or 9 anchorings.

I plan on making a better tip out of 4140 steel w an inverted "V" shape at the tip. About a 30 degree angle.

But in it's standard configuration it's supposed to handle grass. I've only seen grass once in the PNW so have no grass experience.

Attachments

• STH71524 copy 3.jpg
    STH71524 copy 3.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0261 copy.jpg
    DSCF0261 copy.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 98

Doug, I have Super Sarca, and the roll bar on it is finer than that of the Manson Supreme or Rocna, but I doubt that would make much difference in the real life situation. Sad to say, thus far, Sarcas are not easy to obtain in your part of the world, however their performance is considered similar to Rocna and Manson, and I can say that it was because I failed to get a CQR to set with about five attempts on a weedy bottom, in an anchorage here in Moreton Bay notorious for weed, that I made the change, and we have set first off and never dragged in that anchorage on a lot of occasions since.

Just checked out AC, seems there is light grass and good holding so it won't give an accurate outcome, but I'll let you know none the less.

Attachments

• image-1343353069.jpg
    image-1343353069.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 97
Doug, you've been on this forum long enough to know not to mention anchors! What's the matter with you?

(my delta works well in grass, please don't hit me)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom