Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 AM   #81
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
"It should be so big they laugh..."
As I posted earlier we have a Rocna 25 on our 40' and we seem to be the only ones who have had a Rocna drag, which happened twice in three days.
However, we have anchored 27 nights since then with no problems, including current/wind reversals.
Rocna's website now recommends up to a 30, and if I were buying one again I would go with that.

Could you describe the conditions in which you dragged?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:05 PM   #82
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
I'm now in the Ronca camp. Darn boatshow... I'm keeping my CQR in case the Ronca sucks though. .

Old 02-09-2015, 06:54 PM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
"It should be so big they laugh..."
As I posted earlier we have a Rocna 25 on our 40' and we seem to be the only ones who have had a Rocna drag, which happened twice in three days.
However, we have anchored 27 nights since then with no problems, including current/wind reversals.
Rocna's website now recommends up to a 30, and if I were buying one again I would go with that.
Commiserations. I suspect underwater nymphs and gremlins at play. My Super Sarca had not dragged in 2 years, it dragged twice on NYE, and last Sunday. Each time we followed our usual anchoring practices.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #84
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bruce don't blame your SARCA. Remember the biggest variable in anchoring ....... the sea floor. No gremlins or sea nypmphs anywhere. av8r not being in the Rocna camp I have no idea what a Rocna 25 or 30 is but the same applies to you. People seem to think if they shop around and buy the product the guru's mostly buy and what consumer report blesses that it will work perfectly and no variations in it's performance can be expected. Certain cars are known to be really good but on certain gloomy days or even sunny days they will unexpectedly just not start. And if anchors wer'nt dependent on the sea floor for their performance they would come much closer to perfection.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Bruce don't blame your SARCA. Remember the biggest variable in anchoring ....... the sea floor. No gremlins or sea nymphs ..
You are probably right Eric. Both times we were not the only boat dragging, but it was quite unexpected the S/Sarca would drag. I think the floor was mud,from the mess on the gear. S=sand,R=rock? No "M".
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 PM   #86
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
While never having dragged (with Danforth or claw), I get paranoid when anchoring. Check for several hours after anchoring to find unwanted movement, usually with two-to-three-knot reversing currents. But then one needs to sleep overnight. Fortunately, the bottoms here in the San Francisco estuary consist mostly of heavy/sticky mud.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:53 PM   #87
Guru

Just to be contrary and accurate. If you want to save a few bucks get the Manson I did own one and it worked well for me. If you are a big spender get the best, Ultra and its shiny and no roll bar to boot. I took a Ronca off my boat and replaced it with the Ultra. Does it set and hold better than the Spades and Manson I have owned, its hard to say since in 15 years and four boats using spade type anchors never had a problem yet.

eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote