Old 06-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #21
Guru

From previous threads on Rocna I think the brand changed hands after criticism of the shanks (see Delfin`s post 14 above).
Can someone tell Cathy and David how to be sure the anchor they buy is the later revised version of the anchor?

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:11 PM   #22
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
From previous threads on Rocna I think the brand changed hands after criticism of the shanks (see Delfin`s post 14 above).
Can someone tell Cathy and David how to be sure the anchor they buy is the later revised version of the anchor?
The current manufacturer can presumably be trusted, where the prior owners earned the contempt they received for lying to people. So, if it is a common size purchased from West Marine whose turnover is significant, there probably isn't much of a chance the shank will be mild steel. The only empirical way this side of destructive testing I know of is to use a punch made of Q620 steel, which is the grade Rocna now says they are using, and this punch should dent the galvanizing but not the stell underneath the galvanizing.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 PM   #23
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
Quote:
The latest versions, from Canada Metal (Pacific) Ltd., have a little "signed" stamp, and a cute note about intellectual property protection (see pic below). All this, including the anchor itself, would of course be easy to copy. As Delfin says, buy from a reputable dealer, and do your own quality control if you really want to be sure.

Only pirates use pirated anchors!

QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB View Post
The latest versions, from Canada Metal (Pacific) Ltd., have a little "signed" stamp, and a cute note about intellectual property protection (see pic below). All this, including the anchor itself, would of course be easy to copy. As Delfin says, buy from a reputable dealer, and do your own quality control if you really want to be sure.

Only pirates use pirated anchors!

Note that since the person making this anchor is only 4 years old, he/she hasn't learned how to sign their name yet, so uses a stamp.

Children love using stamps....
Old 06-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #25
Guru

Odd a Canadian company signs in neither English or French, rubber stamp or not.
Provided quality control is good, I accept it matters not where it is made. But I like knowing, from the man who made it, that my anchor was made in Australia and he resisted proposals to make it somewhere else.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #26
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Odd a Canadian company signs in neither English or French, rubber stamp or not.
Provided quality control is good, I accept it matters not where it is made. But I like knowing, from the man who made it, that my anchor was made in Australia and he resisted proposals to make it somewhere else.
At the risk of being accused of being a foam at the mouth racist, that is one of the reasons why I don't understand why anyone who says they want a Rocna type anchor wouldn't just buy the New Zealand made Manson Supreme. Same design, better steel, better trading partner, IMO, and the same performance.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
At the risk of being accused of being a foam at the mouth racist, that is one of the reasons why I don't understand why anyone who says they want a Rocna type anchor wouldn't just buy the New Zealand made Manson Supreme. Same design, better steel, better trading partner, IMO, and the same performance.
and in my case it was 30% cheaper and approved by Lloyds of London...but WTF do they know about making sure things work....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleBoy View Post
I am glad I did not do any research on this prior to buying as I would still be reading forums 12 months later - not sure what brand to buy cos I wanted the best - and still have the CQR on the front with the constant dragging. Anchor threads become 200 posts long - with no winner regardless of how many times a new thread is started!

It is my belief that you could buy the Rocna or any other modern design unit and you will be happy with the result. Every one believes theirs is the best one for whatever reason. Once you have a modern design anchor on the front, and you have experienced the setting/holding power, you will move on to look at other aspects of your boat and lose interest in the argument about which is better.
cheers, M.
Folks, that, right there is your answer - couldn't put it better myself. I am a convert to my Super Sarca for the same reason. I would recommend it to anyone, but they appear hard to come by in the Northern Hemisphere, so if one of the others like Manson, (Boss or Supreme), or Rocna, comes your way...my advice...just grab it..!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy and David View Post
What size Ronca would be acceptable for a 43' 30000lb displacement?
I'd get at least a 33. But better still a 40 or 55.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #30
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Hello. Aboard Seaweed (7k pounds) I have a Rocna 33 pound anchor. I sleep very well at night. I use all chain (G4, .25") and have been using this one for almost two years.

I do not drag.
And I anchor exclusively (except during the engine swap) ...

Though I like the 33, I'm considering a 45 pound Rocna. I have a windlass.
I like my Rocna.
Dang, Janice. That's a lot of tackle for that boat! What do you think it's like when you're pulling up next to a guy with a 30,000 lb. boat and a 35 lb. plow and you whip out your 45 lb. Rocna. He probably sneaks out of the anchorage before daylight.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post

Those are very good points. And the Supreme seems to be a very good anchor.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Noeta
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
We have had ours for a year and have used it extensively throughout the Puget sound. It is awesome. One of the anchor comparison test I read stated that the only problem with the Rocna anchor is the price. It set and held consistently the best is all conditions. I don't know about you, but when I am on the hook and it starts to blow, I'm not concerned about how much it cost. I want to know it is going to hold and it has.

It is the only anchor I will have now.
Arcticspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #33
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I think the price is outrageous. You know that the SL anchors are all made in China, are just different shapes and they are at least half the price.

One day, when someone writes the economic history of the West, they will shake their heads with wonder about how we could be so stupid as to give away our manufacturing sector for a few quick bucks and consign millions of our children to lives in the service industry. Talk about having our collective heads up our a$$es.

Go into a Home Depot and look at the $300 cordless drills, with names like Bosch and Dewalt and Mikita, all made in China. All that prosperity in China instead of Ontario or New York, so they can come back over here and buy the best properties and drive Bentleys. All those people who used to make Dewalt drills now can't afford to buy one on a fast-food salary. Stupid stupid stupid.

Sorry for the rant........
Old 06-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Don't apologise for that rant. We often feel exactly the same here in Oz, especially here in Queensland, when they are all flooding over to buy up prime waterfront property to place their children in while at school here, but the parents return to China to make their profits, meanwhile pushing prices up out of range of those of us who live here. I'd love to own a home with a pontoon jetty for the boat at the bottom of the garden, but won't happen now…
But if you want to continue the rant - we had better go over to the Off Topic forum...
Old 06-30-2014, 06:34 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I'd get at least a 33. But better still a 40 or 55.
If you can fit the 40 kg, go with the 40. When I bought mine West Marine agreed to take it back if it did not fit, but it did fit.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #36

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
This is our third season using a Rocna, and we drug it twice last week up in the Gulf Islands.
We have a 25kg Rocna with 5/16 chain on our 40’ Ocean Alexander and in general we have been happy with it. It hooks up nicely and has always kept us where we wanted to stay, except when it didn’t. We were fortunate that both times were daylight and we were able to watch the process unfold.
The first time occurred up in Princess Cove on Wallace Island in the British Columbia Gulf Islands. Princess Cove is a long narrow cove with rock sides and a famously soft mud bottom. It has probably a dozen stern-tie rings mounted about 40’ apart in the rock wall on one side of the cove. Convention in many of the parks in BC is to stern-tie with the anchor set in the middle of the channel. Although the forecast was for 10-15k winds out of the southwest we hoped the nw-se orientation of the cove would give us better winds.
Our stern-tie technique is to pick a ring, establish the angle we want on the rode and confirm it’s not across someone else’s anchor, pick the distance from the wall that gives us adequate scope and put down the anchor. We set it with idle or greater reverse, and we confirm distances with a laser rangefinder. The dinghy is side-tied and ready and the stern line is on a spool, so the Admiral runs the helm while I take the stern line in, loop it through the ring, and bring it back. We work the boat into position and check distances and depths again, and establish sight-lines and point them out to each other.
This time the wind was blowing directly down the channel from the SE at 10-12 mph, straight on the beam. Several boats had troubles getting in place, and several left. We had lunch and discussed the situation but when the wind picked up above 15 mph on the beam, the anchor started dragging so we released the stern line and left. When we pulled the anchor up the roll bar was completely covered with mud so it had gone in at least that deep. A big Danforth might have worked in the mud but we just went somewhere else.
The second time 3 days later we had anchored behind Dunsmuir Island in Ladysmith Harbor at low tide in 15’ on a bottom labeled mud and sand. We put out 120’, worked out to the end of it using the anchor alarm as reference, and backed down with more than just idle for a pretty solid set. I set a tight anchor alarm circle. We were awakened by the alarm about 0200 and both the chart-plotter and the anchor alarm showed we had moved to about 50’ abeam the anchor, but we stabilized there and stopped. I assumed we were just dragging the chain, and by the morning we were right back in the original position.
A change in the light breeze accompanied the next tide change and we watched the boat track directly over the anchor. That broke out the anchor when we reached the end of the chain, and we continued to drag at about a yard a minute. We had plenty of water and room so we just watched to see if it would reset, since Rocnas are supposed to be very good at resetting. After we were 20 yards past the break-out point it still had not reset so I started the engines and backed down on it, at which point it promptly reset. It seemed like a good set but left us with no margin on the proverbial lee shore and with the rising wind another boat had anchored on our original location so again, we went somewhere else.
In short, we like our Rocna a lot, but we don’t trust it very much. We use 2 independent anchor alarms now, and we set tight limits.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Myers
30 year danford users, had it break loose on a number of occasions, especially when wind did a 180, picked up a Rocna and maybe a false sense of security, but that anchor drops and sets so hard the boat lurches forward. The wind changes direction it has had no effect for us, the boat sticks to one spot. We have anchored in sand/mud/weed bottoms and all the same results.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #38
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Janice's anchor is not just her anchor.
It's also her mooring.
So it's likely she may not be in over-kill mode at all.
There's a man in AK w a 45' boat w a 500lb anchor. Same thing. He does not have a mooring buoy hence the monster anchor.

In more than one anchor test the Rocna came up short in 3-1 scope anchoring. Anyone here had a problem in a blow (30+) at 3-1 ? Wouldn't be surprised as very few of us anchor at 3-1 in a blow. But stuff happens.

The Rocna guy said to the testers "we advise our customers to set at 5-1 and then shorten up scope." Good practice but does nothing to increase short scope performance. Of course one could just get a bigger anchor like we do w our Claws.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #39
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy and David View Post
I hate to start an anchor thread but wanting feedback on Ronca anchors for any body that has one.
We bought the first Rocna anchor sold in the Pacific Northwest. It was made under license from Rocna by Suncoast Marine in Vancouver, British Columbia. We were directed to Suncoast by Rocna when I talked to them in New Zealand because shipping the size of anchor we needed would have cost more than the anchor. which at the time cost close to $1,000. Rocna said that Suncoast used even better manufacturing methods than they did.

So our Rocna is made the way it is supposed to be made out of the materials it's supposed to be made of. As we cannot replace it, we keep it locked to the boat.

We have been using our Rocna for many years now and in a wide variety of bottoms--- packed mud, soft mud, oozy mud, gravel, sand, rock and gravel, weedy, etc. It has never once failed to set (yet) and it has never dragged (yet), even with two boats hanging on it in 30 knot winds.

But you know what they say about anchors. Every anchor sets perfectly until the day it doesn't, and no anchor ever drags until the day it does.

Based on our experience, the only other anchor we would consider using if we were in the market for one is the SARCA. While I feel the design of the Rocna is a wee bit superior to the SARCA (SARCA owners feel the opposite ), I believe both anchors are equally superb. I don't know if the SARCA is available in the US today or if the only way to get one is to buy it from the manufacturer and have it shipped over.

I have heard good things about the Manson, but I have also heard and read enough bad things about the Manson, particularly having to do with its slotted shank, to not want one, at least not with the Rocna and SARCA on the market. I also believe the design of the Manson is inferior in a couple of specific ways to that of the Rocna and SARCA.

The current Rocna is made in China at Canadian Metals' wholly-owned subsidiary. This is NOT the same place that Rocnas were made when production was first shifted to China by Holdfast, who bought the rights to manufacture the Rocna from Peter Smith.

The way to identify a Chinese-made Rocna is by the raised lettering on the underside of the lip at the wide end of the fluke. If it has the name of the anchor there, it was made in China. I do not know how to tell the difference visually between the original and iffy Chinese-made Rocnas and the current ones.

With regards to China's manufacturing ability, they make what they are told to make, the way they are told to make it. Nordhavn's are made in Xiamen, China (I've been through the plant). Major components of our airplanes are made in China (We've worked in the plants). Their work is outstanding and is as good, and in some cases better, than than the work done in the US. In general, the attitude of the workers in China toward their work, at least in the plants I've been in, is superior to what I see on average in the US. How long that lasts remains to be seen.

The Chinese also make crap. So do we. That's because the things being ordered are specified to be crap.

I don't know anything about the current quality of Rocna anchors other than what I read. Were we in the market today, our first choice would probably be a SARCA assuming we could tolerate the shipping cost. Our second choice would be a new Canadian Metals Rocna simply because I don't know for sure about the quality. If I knew the Canadian Metals Rocna is as well made as the original Rocna we have now, I would buy it over the SARCA.

There would be no third choice.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
La Perouse, eh! Do I detect Marin in not so subtle disguise?