Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Well, ideally it should retain a galvanized look although this can darken with time and use. But chain can take a beating going out and coming in and being stacked in the locker and the wear of link against link. So it's to be expected that as the galvanizing wears off in spots rust stains can begin to appear. I don't think that alone is a reason to get rid of it. But when the rust becomes more than just staining then it might be time to think about replacing it. Certainly if you actually get flaking rust it's time for it to go.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:32 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
... we are anchored right now in the Savannah area and the wind is howling. How do I know when chain needs replacing? Helluva time to ask.
Especially if the answer was "yesterday". Howard, I`m sure with your experience, were chain was degraded you would have noticed. It`s not as if you don`t test it regularly by anchoring.
Regarding ss chain, Chris`s point about it not being certified is a good one, I would like to hear someone with metal expertise comment as well. The main reason for maintenance or replacement of gal chain is rust or loss of galvanizing, neither of which should be an issue with (good) ss.
Last NYE a sailboat anchored next to us,on ss chain with an ss claw, which the skipper said came with the boat he bought second hand. Grade A bling for sure, and they stayed anchored.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Quote:
OK, I'm about to reveal my lack of chain knowledge. We anchor at least 100 or more times a year. We have all chain rode. In fact, we are anchored right now in the Savannah area and the wind is howling. How do I know when chain needs replacing? Helluva time to ask.

When the links are wearing INTO each other, and when rust is pitting the surface I tend to not sleep so well.

Here is what Peerless has to say. Scroll down until you see 'Table of Chain Wear.' And buy a caliper. Technical Information | Peerless Industrial Group

Doing the math, this comes out to 1% of chain link loss of metal, or 1% of link elongation.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:16 AM   #24
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
We recently purchased 200' of 5/16 HT chain from West Marine. Because of the free shipping it was close to the same price as anyone else. My main reason for buying it from WM was that they have a 2 year no rust guarantee. I had read reviews of people buying new chain from various places and having it start rusting within a year. I have never had a problem warranting anything from WM so that clinched the deal for me.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Great information from all, and much appreciated. As you can conclude, as I'm writing this response, we made it through an awful night. I actually slept through it much to my amazement, and woke up finding the boat in the exact spot it was in when I went to bed.

I know you are all wondering, so I will end your agony---60# Manson Supreme.

Thanks all!
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #26
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Great information from all, and much appreciated. As you can conclude, as I'm writing this response, we made it through an awful night. I actually slept through it much to my amazement, and woke up finding the boat in the exact spot it was in when I went to bed.

I know you are all wondering, so I will end your agony---60# Manson Supreme.

Thanks all!
I didn't think that anchor required chain to hold your boat.😋

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote